The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. headshok

headshok Well-Known Member

Listening to December 26, 1981 after I saw this : Grateful Seconds : Return of Big Boss Man, A Day At The Dentist and An Eleven Jam Highlight The Most Underrated Show of 1981: December 26, 1981

The final ever The Eleven jam. I love the 68-69 Elevens, in fact the Eleven from August 23, 1968 might have been the moment the Dead first truly blew my mind and took me from someone who listens to Workingman's Dead every now and then to my present state of obsession. Always missed the Eleven but at the same time understood why they didn't keep playing it after 1970.

This '81 Eleven Jam is cool, but pales in comparison to the fiery brimstone of the 60s jams. Ah well, good show all around. Cool funk break at the end of Black Peter.

2. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I'd agree but would add MSG 9/20/90. Those three are better than any in '91z

adamos, bzfgt and US Blues like this.
  3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The Dark Star and maybe a couple of other tracks at least were released as bonus tracks on View from the Vault II (RFK 6/14/91).

trd and US Blues like this.
  4. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Word. I really need to listen to that one again, on the night it was outstanding.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  5. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Epic listening/8-ball billiards session last night. Pulled NoD '89 set out but couldn't get off DaP 3 & 2 new Europe '72 sets that came in earlier this week. Hearing the GoGD at near concert levels is sonic bliss. A musical Moon Shot in a psychedelic sauna, if you will....

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  6. libertycaps

All this pejorative DaP24 talk, is making me want to revist. Possibly tonight. I def hear the 666 PHIL ZONE BASS TERROR 666 heresy, but i kinda dig it! Cuz i'm a mental BASS fiend, i reckon.

7. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Finally got my backlog of 30+ shows downloaded and moved onto my drive.

I had my ipod backed up on my main music drive. Yesterday I got another drive cleared and reformatted and moved the files over opening up 240 gigs of space on my main drive - that means I can finish downloading 1982! :D

Peace guys. :)

Crispy Rob, US Blues and wavethatflag like this.
  8. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

More to do with the owner of the tapes I believe. It's a shame since there would be tons of historic performances. No commercial potential quality wise but certainly for collectors like us. The list of shows during that period from 70-71 is amazing.

US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  9. libertycaps

The Warlocks 2 show, 6CD Box Set is currently en-route. I hope i'm not as dissapoint with it as some here were/are.

10. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I've only made it through the first half. And I was listening in the car. There are definitely some strange sounds, but I didn't find it offensive. I certainly understand the complaints that there are "new" sounds added which do not belong.
    So far, Friend of the Devil is a big winner and I will be listening again!

wavethatflag likes this.
  11. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Don't overthink it, you'll be fine.

wavethatflag likes this.
  12. libertycaps

13. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Filling holes ordered Dick’s 6 & 13 - not a big Brent guy but I need to hear the 2 super long Scarlet>Fires

Despite myself I also ordered Dave’s 20:)

I’m ordering against my pattern

Next time Dick’s 26 & 4/11/72 before it’s gone....

Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  14. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Don't forget to grab the View From The Vault shows from 1990 and 91 as well! Some of the best! If you don't go for video, the separate audio is available. :)

15. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident

Never read a bad thing about this set, it is awesome! Also, the most 'fun' box set of all time.

16. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident

Anyone getting the new 5lp box? Why the heck did they put SYF on it?:tsk:

17. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I was not disappointed.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. libertycaps

Cheers! "Picky Dead Heads" were anathema back in the 90's too. The more things change.............................that "Same Thing" from So Many Roads Box Set is on the box now. Blow that gob iron, Pig! Blow!
    :shtiphat::shtiphat::shtiphat::shtiphat::shtiphat::shtiphat::shtiphat::shtiphat::shtiphat:

19. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Just thought I'd toss this out there on a Thanksgiving weekend. Many years ago - pre 90s - my best friend had a collection of live Dead tapes. A few hundred. Always tried to get me into them but I wasn't interested. Liked them but had no interest in the collecting. He has passed on but a year or so ago I had the urge to dip my toe into the waters but that ended as soon as I saw the actual scope of the available material. Long story short, I'm able to dip that toe thanks to Spotify, which has a gargantuan amount of Dead/Jerry just sitting there.

20. Dahabenzapple

Did I say I listened twice more to the 7/3/78 Scarlet and I am only now listening to the Fire...

I think that’s behind why I ordered 3 commercial released shows that I’ve been delaying in ordering as I can’t get enough of the multiple mutated variations on these two interlocking pieces. So I decided I need to hear these shows in large part to hear this combination from 79, 81 & 83.

Endlessly fascinating and the grooves are still mysterious to these ears.

21. libertycaps

It's past five and it's dark yet mild outside T-Day weekend in the PNW. Man Cave bound revisiting DaP24 play as loud as i damn want to time. :D

22. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I cannot wait until you get to hear some of the Scarlet > Fire versions in the forthcoming April '78 box*. 8 April and 11 April in particular will rearrange your neural network in the best possible way!

* - Can you hear me now, Dave?!

23. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Went hunting for the Garcia side trips album and asked the folks behind the counter if anyone had brought in any Dicks Picks recently. Well, I hit the motherload!!! Cow palace, ladies and gents, Fillmore East and SEVEN dicks picks all for the small sum of $186 after tax. Felt like I was robbing a bank.

Threw on dicks picks 14 first and it's a doozy!! I would love to get some thoughts on what some of the highlights in this haul may be as I work my way through.

68-02-23/24 Dicks Picks 22
    69-02-11 Fillmore East
    69-11-08 Dicks Picks 16
    71-April Ladies and Gentlemen
    73-11-20 and 73-12-02 Dicks Picks 14
    74-06-26/28 Dicks Picks 12
    74-09-09/10/11Dicks Picks 7
    76-12-31 Cow Palace
    77-09-03 Dicks Picks 15
    78-05-10 Dicks Picks 25

I only have a few of the DPs so this is a nice start!! I do have all of Dave's and most of the RTs. Now I'm on the dicks picks completist journey. God bless my family and my wallet.

24. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

8 April! My favorite of all time.

Billy_Sunday and US Blues like this.
  25. Dahabenzapple

Some of the best releases ever: 12, 14, 15, 16 & 25 are among my favorite Dick's Picks. Around these parts you will find almost universal reverence for at least the first 4 of the above. The two hybrid releases are awesome (12 & 14) and the 9/3/77 & 11/8/69 concerts are among the greatest shows the boys ever played.

And for me these days, anything from 1978 works for me and 5/10 & 5/11/78 have all kinds of crazy high points.