The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Listening to 3/24/90 which has been chopped up and spread across several official releases. Most of it (maybe all of 2nd set) is on Dozin' at the Knick.

A really good show that deserves better treatment.

2. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Kind of an accident of history how it wound up being chopped up, but Dixon' has the full second set. In addition to the show (which Ai was at) being presented more coherently, Loser deserves to be released with a proper multi-track mix with Garcia up louder, rather than the pretty weak John Cutler on the fly two-track mix used for the first Spring '90 box (a bad decision all around, and one that really hurts that particular track as much as any).

3. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

check out Loser 7/22/90.......Garcia nails the solo

Billy_Sunday and Crispy Rob like this.
  4. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

46 years ago today I made my second trek to the felt forum. listening now on sugarmegs. first was Santana a couple of months earlier.

5. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

6. US Blues

5 December 1971- Felt Forum, NYC. @davmar77 says it's the show of the day, and he is always right. :righton:

7. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Speaking of Losers, I just heard and really dug 4/29/72. Garcia nails it and it has a unique feel to it. Probably the highlight of the show so far (I’m on Good Lovin’ as I type this).

*Zod*, Crispy Rob, adamos and 2 others like this.
  8. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

You know what is also great? The almost 18-minute "Let It Grow" from Charlie Miller's SBD from Providence, 05/14/1978. Those of you with the porch-crusher were probably already familiar with it, but it was completely new to me. It did me all kinds of good last night after a rough Monday.

9. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

That "Let It Grow" is among the top performances of the whole box set.

10. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I have serious emotional difficulties contemplating the relative musical qualities of '90s Dead because at it's heart Garcia is being inexorably pushed (albeit voluntarily) past his physical limit and the sadness swamps my ability to listen and judge with any clear-headed aesthetic detachment.

'95 always makes me involuntarily recall that most horrible of ancient legends about music and suffering:

One of the most brutal methods of execution ever created took the form of a hollow bull statue.

Invented in ancient Greece by Perillus, a bronze worker in Athens, it was given as a gift to a cruel tyrant named Phalaris of Agrigentum.

As well as roasting criminals alive, the device also doubled as a musical instrument, converting the victim’s desperate cries into what Perillus described as "the tenderest, most pathetic, most melodious of bellowings."

11. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I was about to write something very similar to this....

RockRoom, US Blues, Rne and 1 other person like this.
  12. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Is it from the Weather Report Suite? Didn't the rest of the program run like this:

Looks Like Rain -> Cold Rain & Snow -> Here Comes Sunshine?

;)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Annie Beauneu from Saint Angel say "the weather down here so fine".

14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Thanks - I don't think I've ever heard that show, other than the Hey Pocky Way, which was a bonus track on the All Years Combine DVD set.

15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Monster version, one of the best for sure.

US Blues and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  16. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Downloading now. I don’t know this one.

US Blues and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  17. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

We all loves a good Loser. And that was a good one. Nice crowd reaction as well (aud source on relisten).

Thanks for the heads up. 1990 is my "favorite" year. :)

(actually I don't have a "favorite" year, they're all good!)

ianuaditis, Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  18. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Also a good one! 1972 is my favorite year! :)

KeninDC, Crispy Rob and SBegonias17 like this.
  19. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Listened to this day in grateful dead history earlier tonight. Think it was the 12/5/79 show. EPIC shakedown and great Samson. Ship of fools was really nice but He's Gone was waaaaaaay to slow.!! I mean seriously, #werewolf would be falling asleep. Sounded like he's gone on sleeping pills. I usually love that song. Anyway... I did have to turn it off before the other one. I'm assuming this was an early Brent era show? The keyboards were really well done. It was interesting not hearing much in the way of his backing vocals (of which I am a fan!).

Was this recorded in multitrack? The sound was absolutely stellar!!

I must say it was a nice bonus getting a rental with SXM. Made the drive much more chill.

budwhite likes this.
  20. US Blues

Cassette SBD, 2 track, no post-production mixing.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  21. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Listening to 12/6/92 -- definitively one you should take a listen to, if you haven't already. I use to listen to this show a lot after I received it later in the year - actually I think it was part of Christmas tape stash gift from that year.
    Weir is a off - vocally - but solid show all around.

22. US Blues

6 December 1973- Cleveland.

We're fortunate to have with us tonight a recruiting station for the Venusian Red Cross."

~ Robert Alton Weir

Great show. Phil is eager to play, the show is just saturated with Bass feedback, particularly in songs where one might least expect semi-Seastones type weirdness. And Phil's playing in general is out front, innovative, and on-point.

23. US Blues

6 December 1969- Altamont Motor Speedway.

One way or another, this darkness got to end.

Billy_Sunday and Instant Dharma like this.
  24. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Got to give...

Instant Dharma likes this.
  25. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Best show ever.

US Blues likes this.