The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Ebay douchenozzles sent me Eric Clapton's GH CD for the low, low price of $99.00 instead!! Lols.
    Nutters.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

wow wtf. what did they say? mix up? no way they thought that cd was worth $99

3. erowid

erowid Die unerträgliche Leichtigkeit des Seins

Finally got my hands on the new vinyl boxset for a decent price. most shops I saw this item in charged 140-160 euros for a boxset containing 4 albums o_O
    Anyway, found the RSD Box for 100 Euros in a small shop in Vienna and gave it a go this time. And I'm pleasently suprised! Although I own original german pressings of all the albums (plus an MFSL Wake Of The Flood), these reissues do sound very nice. The new Steal Your Face is the best version version of the live album I heard.

Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  4. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I have no idea about the differences myself, never having heard any 2001 versions. I see what you mean about him* knowing it's different but not why, as I said I could be reading poorly, so I probably was-- I don't know why I stuck my nose in, you should just say stuff about my mother next time I do that.

*On a music discussion board if you guess "he" you have a very high percentage chance of being right. But I don't remember whom we're talking about since it's back there now, so I don't know if I had any more reason than that.

ianuaditis likes this.
  5. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I was being a little facetious about the "he" thing. I suspect 99.9% (at least) of people on here a boring old or young, male losers!!

The 2001 mix is quite different from the original (e.g. vocals centred rather than panned wide). Really weird that it was done at all...unless the original tape was gone. Even then, though, you'd think they would have copied the original mix as closely as possible.

DrLunchbox and bzfgt like this.
  6. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

That feels like a '74 WOS show to me! I'd insert a pic of those yellow semis rollin' down the road in the GD Movie if I could find one!

warewolf95, ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  7. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Yes, thanks. That's what I was commenting on - that the 2001 remix/remaster sounded odd to me at first because I was so used to the original mix. I used "version" instead of "mix" in my reply which may have led to confusion.

On a related note, @Crispy Rob shared this in the Un-Grateful Thread the other day; it's an interesting read: Grateful Dead Guide: Dark Star: A Tale of Four Mixes

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  8. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

8 December 1973- Cameron Indoor Stadium. Another very, very good late-73 show. If you want the highlights, the top of the arch one might say, go to the second set jam sequence, in particular The Other One. Very interesting and unique playing by the boys, they hijacked the Starship and got it to high warp speed.

budwhite, bzfgt, Crispy Rob and 2 others like this.
  9. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

More great research from that site once again and thanks to you and Mr. Crisp for pointing it out, I don’t remember reading that before. What jumped out at me was Matthews using delay in 1969 to increase ambiance in the mix, that would have been right on the cusp of the first bucket brigade delay chip https://www.electrosmash.com/mn3007-bucket-brigade-devices I wonder if they used that chip (which I have the think would have required them to custom build everything else around it, clocks and signal processing); or Matthews relied and the I think more common tape-based delay units of the day.

10. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Gotta say that mix on steal your face from the new vinyl box is crisp and clean. Destroys my original. Stella blue is so pretty and yet so powerful.

Great versions from the rest of the studio albums as well although I don't have the MSLFs to compare to, just my used copies.

11. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Sooooooo....no feedback on the fare thee well box? I think I might pick it up and make.my own best of comp. The official comp is lacking IMHO.

SBegonias17 likes this.
  12. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Im holding out hope for a discount on the Get Shown the Light box.

13. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Never did get the full box. Settled for the 2-disc comp and the final night's show CD/Blu-Ray package.

14. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

How's the final night? Since that's a third of the box, that'll give some insight!

15. GuidedByJonO)))

Honestly, I've only listened to it once. It sounds great, but I'm still kinda mixed on the whole thing, performance wise. It's a cool souvenir to have, but I'm not sure I'll return to it that often and, when I do, it'll be to experience the visual aspect too. But really that's down to me thinking Trey did not meld as well with them as I'd hoped, more of a personal preference thing. YMMV depending on what you feel about the whole thing though.

Not sure that's super helpful, but there you go.

budwhite likes this.
  16. bzfgt

Why is panned wide better for the vocals? I can't really think of what it would sound like, I will try to find something on youtube or something...I don't even know which version I have, although I had the CD in the 80s, I think the one I have now I got 10 or 12 years ago...so I may be wrong, I may actually have the 2001 version now that I think of it. I can't recall the last time I listened to it but all this talk has me wanting to hear it...

17. bzfgt

Ha! I was right! Right I say!! Cancel the remarks about my mother...

(We have to entertain ourselves somehow, right?)

adamos likes this.
  18. bzfgt

That date is right in the zone, man.

US Blues likes this.
  19. bzfgt

I would have liked to have been there, like if someone gave me a ticket and I lived closer or something or if it was otherwise easy in some way. I don't have a lot of interest in hearing it, there are 2000 GD shows.

20. GuidedByJonO)))

I really enjoyed being there, if only for the middle night. It wasn't the best set list of the run, but it was an incredible event and I the atmosphere was tremendous. So glad I spent the dollars I did to be there (more than I've ever paid for a concert before, but ended up being less than half what we feared we might have to pay). But I'm just not sure the performances stand up to repeated listens at home, given the wealth of other stuff to hear.

adamos, Coltrane811 and bzfgt like this.
  21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I listened to a bit of the official release. It seemed to have Weir's guitar mixed too loud.

22. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I've listened to it. I just don't think the shows were that great, to be honest.

Now the Circles Around the Sun material? That is worth having. I think there are only 1 or 2 Circles tunes on the complete box set that aren't on the wide release so there's no dire need to get the big box for those.

ianuaditis and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  23. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

12/8/90 - Who else was there?

The most memorable "moment" for me at this show was the drums segment, believe it or not. This was one of the most intense drums I had experienced up til then, and remains so (in my memory at least). It was like Mickey's Armageddon, with mushroom clouds and air raid sirens, it was an intense "drumz" to say the least.

I don't know, maybe it was the doses....

Compton Terrace, Tempe, AZ (12/8/90)

Cold Rain and Snow
    Picasso Moon
    Loser
    New Minglewood Blues
    Row Jimmy
    Desolation Row
    Tennessee Jed
    Music Never Stopped

Victim or the Crime
    Foolish Heart
    Playin' in the Band
    Uncle John's Band
    drums
    All Along the Watchtower
    Black Peter
    Around and Around
    One More Saturday Night

U.S. Blues

budwhite likes this.
  24. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

I need to hear this 12/8 show, too...

US Blues and bzfgt like this.
  25. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember thinking Trey never seemed to take charge of the improv parts, and wondering if he thought it would be disrespectful to the band and Garcia's memory if he did.