The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

12/15/72 is superb, the "jam" is absolutely mindblowing. Dark horse Morning Dew. I have to listen to this again today, my first impression is it's one of the greatest things I've ever heard.

2. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Haven't listened to this one in awhile...sounds real good this Sunday morning :cool:

[​IMG]

"That was a Grateful Dead record, as far as I'm concerned. And I don't do that material with my side groups. It was all me singing, all my songwriting. I started by using a couple of different musicians, and it just settled in to being a Grateful Dead record right quick."

3. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

To be clear this was my second show, and my experience tells me that there is a learning curve in regards to learning to appreciate the experience, while also recognizing history when the band was making it happen in the hall (or hockey arena). So I can say that I appreciate this show far more in retrospect than I did that night. And I was not really in the scene yet, so I don't know how people felt about it at the time. Additionally, in 1979 we were much closer to the glory years, and within a month Keith & Donna would leave the band. That news overshadowed the January tour.

I will say, having seen 2 shows with Keith & Donna, that the GD were a very different band with them than with Brent. Not saying better or worse, but the NRG was different. I will say this: Keith played in Europe in 1972, and in the Grateful Dead Movie. :tiphat:

4. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Nice Playing, 8/4/74.
    I've never owned this. I'm waiting for the six disc super deluxe. :D

footlooseman, bzfgt and JRM like this.
  5. Monroro

Monroro Forum Resident

I did just that. The Matrix is the way to go, to my ears. So nice.

bzfgt likes this.
  6. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Won my bid for Dave’s 14 and supposedly it looks to include Bonus Disc. If it’s true that the Bonus Disc is included and set is in the shape it’s said to be in, I’ve made the best deal that’s ever been made recently for this set!!

7. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Shrine Auditorium 11/10/67. A true beauty.

8. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Back to 4/14/72 - Cumberland & PITB are great followed by spectacular - one day if I ever get all the E72 shows, I’m gonna listen to all of the PITB’s for a week. All of them I’ve heard (most of them?!?!) all hit very strong peaks with historic energy.

9. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I finally got that 8/3/82 show downloaded, the one you guys have been discussing and enjoying. These 24 bit files are huge. :laugh:

Doing some testing after cleaning up the tags. "Stella Blue" is lovely. But then, it always is. Jerry's in very nice voice this night. He sounds 10 years younger.

10. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Drove past Buckeye Lake today. That was surreal after listening to shows from there. Memories, anyone? :)

US Blues likes this.
  11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Getting caught in a rainstorm in 1994.

Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  12. trd

trd Forum Resident

Settling in on Sunday evening with RT 3.1. 12/28/79 Oakland

I’ve been deep in the psychedelic weeds this weekend and needed to come up for air a bit. 72 Dark Stars yesterday and then Chris Robinson Brotherhood at The Fillmore (my first time there!) last night. Tonight I needed some Brent era GD - jamming but not too deep. This opening Sugaree is phenomenal. The 6 Headed Beast is in full effect - Billy and Mickey just banging it out while Brent’s B3 soars underneath Jerry and Bob. Great great stuff

Happy Sunday

13. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

My 21at birthday, 6/11/93. Beautiful day. We drove from Rochester, NY, got there early and spent a while wandering the parking lot scene. Went in to see Sting, who I really liked. He had two alternating setlists, that night he played Bring On The Night/When The World Is Running Down, which was a highlight.

The Dead were definitely on that night and the setlist was like a birthday gift for me.
    Jack Straw->Foolish Heart opener
    3 Dylan songs (Tom Thumb, Masterpiece, Watchtower(
    My first show with Eyes of the World
    Brokedown Palace encore
    Even Corrina led into a nice jam before Drums/Space
    It was a huge field, so there was plenty of space. I remember lying down in the grass during D/S.

Then, the show ended. Remember the part where we arrived early? Well, the parking lot wasn't exactly organized. We were way towards the back, in an area which got totally parked in. There was no way to move at all. We had planned on camping anyway. Even thought we couldn't stay there, we set up the tent and took a nap until the crowd cleared out.

An excellent birthday.

I've listened to this show a few times and it was as good as i remembered.

14. trd

trd Forum Resident

Last night at The Fillmore

A portion of the poster room,

[​IMG]

CRB
    [​IMG]

Neal and Chris. Neal played a Tele (pretty sure it’s an actual fender tele)off and on last night. It sounded great. Really very different than his usual tone with the Scott Walker. A classic tele tone. It boogied

[​IMG]

Chris on harmonica

[​IMG]

15. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

You listened to Seventy-two different Dark Stars yesterday??!!

:winkgrin:

Rne, US Blues, bzfgt and 1 other person like this.
  16. trd

trd Forum Resident

No, it just felt like 72 :-plnktn-:

US Blues, warewolf95 and Scopitone like this.
  17. trd

trd Forum Resident

Threw in my 12au7 rca blackplate pre amp tune tonight. I forgot how great these tubes are for soundstage. Maybe not as high a soundstage as the JJ/Tesla I run day to day but much wider and far more front to back. Much more 3D and engaging.

Terrapin > Playin from the aforementioned RT 3.1 12/29/79

adamos, Crispy Rob, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  18. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I got 2 shows from the boxset within 1 month after it was shipped and both shows I got for less than $30 each. one from the 60's and then 1988. they have gone up a bit now though

warewolf95 and Scopitone like this.
  19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

[QUOTE="ianuaditis, post

Weir plays a lot of 'parts' rather than chords in general. 'exploded chords' sometimes, but often just a small part or a little lick. 'Sugaree' is a great example. You can see in this version, Garcia is playing chords and little box riffs during the vocals, and Weir is basically play 'Bob leads.' And then even behind the solo, he's playing arpeggios (chord tones played separately in sequence) and little riffs and fills rather than just playing the 'rhythm' on chords.
    [/QUOTE]
    Bob also plays a lot of octaves and fill notes. His octave slides in Scarlet are a key part of the song.

NorCal, trd, notesofachord and 5 others like this.
  20. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Took a walk in winter wonderland yesterday, just as the sun was setting.
    Those birds are quite late for their migration down south.

Anyway, returned to 78-11-18 for a bit. Really liked that one. Jerry is in good voice. Keith is up in the mix. Everyone sounds good. Check out The Other One if nothing else

NorCal, adamos, Crispy Rob and 3 others like this.
  21. Filling in the gaps of 1974 in my long-term project of listening to every Grateful Dead show.

1974 has been so well represented in official releases—we have one from every month they played in that year—that I feel I have a pretty good picture in my head of what they did that year, how they played, how the jams and songs evolved.

This week I listened to:
    9-20-74 Paris, France and
    5-17-74 Vancouver, BC

I truly recommend 9-20-74 to anyone who has not heard it. A fine show. Maybe the best show of September 1974. Setlist doesn't look like anything that special on paper, but the Charlie Miller version is a killer recording. Very intimate sounding.

I also listened to 12-1-66 The Matrix, San Francisco for the first time! Wow! I don't usually get into '65—'66 Dead, but this one smokes! 12-1-66 is a must-hear for Dead completists. You've got to hear these early versions of GD staples. You will have fun—I promise!

22. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

if anyone is missing the first roads trips, fall 1979, its on sale right now for $14.99 at dead.net. hope mine comes with the bonus disc

Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  23. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Bob also plays a lot of octaves and fill notes. His octave slides in Scarlet are a key part of the song.[/QUOTE]

Ive always thought of Bobby as a Lead-rhythm player. Like hes soloing within the confines of chords and structures rather than busting out noodly leads and string bends.

trd, Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  24. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Ive always thought of Bobby as a Lead-rhythm player. Like hes soloing within the confines of chords and structures rather than busting out noodly leads and string bends.[/QUOTE]

That's a good way of describing it. I was trying to explain to a bass playing friend of mine that Phil doesn't really play bass and Weir doesn't really play rhythm. It's hard to describe exactly where the song structure comes from.

NorCal, trd, warewolf95 and 2 others like this.
  25. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I'll put up the @Archtop signal: :nyah:

warewolf95 and SBegonias17 like this.