The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. KDubATX

KDubATX Forum Resident

Plowed through Alpine Valley July 89 run and back through the shows on the RFK box set over the weekend and through this afternoon and really enjoyed myself doing it. Summer tour 89 is stronger on the whole than I would have given it credit for in the past.
    Next up on the radar I have some AUDs from July 82 starting with 7/25 Tempe AZ to play through.

ThirdBowl, nitsuj, adamos and 6 others like this.
  2. KDubATX

KDubATX Forum Resident

Oh boy, Jerry botches literally the 1st line of the 1st song (MS Half-Step) on 7/25/82 and then lyrical flubs abound in the Franklin's that follows. Someone on the AUD recording can clearly be heard yelling something about 'you f**ked my wife' at the band about 2 and a half minutes into Half-Step. That is about as 1982 Dead as it gets friends. Will see if they manage to get the train back on the tracks after the set break.

3. fishcane

fishcane Forum Resident

glad to see David out there and smilin'

4. trd

trd Forum Resident

Last day of vacation. Listening to 5/8/77 vinyl and reading the new book on the show

This Dancin In the Streets is brilliant. I think it’s my favorite song in the whole show.

5. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Evil Twin

Yes, that is great. Hopefully he can get healthy enough to make an east coast swing.

warewolf95 and fishcane like this.
  6. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Forum Resident

Listening to back-to-back tuning interlude tracks from the 12/31/72 Winterland broadcast while cleaning up my office is a surprisingly wonderful ambient backdrop.

Occasionally a KSAN DJ murmurs a station i.d. opening a portal to my long-gone teenage years.

7. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

This AM finished Bonus Disc from RT 3.1 (12/30/79)

New Minglewood is meh, Candyman is fine, Ramble on Rose is stout, LL>Supplication is nice and then Scarlet>Fire is vibrant and exciting BUT the Let it Grow is easily the worst version of this song I’ve heard to date. Starts out off kilter and Jerry takes the insect little notes playing to an uncomfortable extreme.

8. US Blues

US Blues Forum Resident

Yeah, you're discovering the dark side of 1979, and the beginning of the downfall.

ThirdBowl, warewolf95 and Crispy Rob like this.
  9. bzfgt

bzfgt Custom Title

Downfall?

warewolf95 likes this.
  10. bzfgt

bzfgt Custom Title

OK real quick, what is the best version of 6/18/83?

warewolf95 and Archtop like this.
  11. US Blues

US Blues Forum Resident

The deterioration of Jerry's playing ability due to his overindulgence in china white. Chasing the Dragon. Opiates.

12. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I can almost feel the coke in the music. As Kreutzmann said in his book (one of the few viewpoints of his I’m all in on), cocaine does nothing positive to the creation of music.

13. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

Just started disk 3, Dick's vol 7, Sept 74. I wanted a Dark Star tonight.

14. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Evil Twin

I went to put that on the other day, but disc 3 wasn't in the case.

It must be in some other case or one of my wallets, I pulled all of my CDs out of the car, and I remember seeing it, but that didn't help me listen to it.

Possibly my favorite Dark Star ever. I will have to search around some and see if I can join you. :tiphat:

JRM, Matthew Tate, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  15. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

I hate it when that happens...or the missing lp.

Matthew Tate and ianuaditis like this.
  16. wavethatflag

wavethatflag Your Ad Here

Oh man, I haven't seen disc 3 of my Hartford '77 set in years. I know it's among my CDs in a case it doesn't belong in. I'm 99 percent sure anyway.

17. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Evil Twin

I wish I could say the same for my 1990s copy of Live/Dead. I still have the case...

Matthew Tate, warewolf95 and Archtop like this.
  18. wavethatflag

I had the same Caselogic billfold of CDs in my car for years, probably about 5 years. And sometimes I'd bring other CDs into the car and put them back in the wrong cases while I'm driving. Anyway, disc one and two of Hartford are in the billfold, and I can only assume disc 3 migrated back to my CD cases in another CD's case.

I also have other exciting stories.

19. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Evil Twin

Yes, we already heard about that time you had to buy a new heel for your shoe. :nyah:

20. Archtop

Archtop Forum Resident

My go-to on Relisten is this one:

Taper: Rudy Huston
    Transferer: Charlie Miller
    Source: (2) Beyer M160 + (1) Beyer M88 -> Cassette Master (Nakamichi 550/TDK SA90/Dolby B)
    Lineage: Cassette Master (Nakamichi DR-1/Dolby B) -> Sound Devices 744T (24bit/96k) -> Adobe Audition v1.5 -> Samplitude Professional v10.22 -> FLAC/16
    Description: Hover
    Rating: 4.88 / 8 reviews

Why? It's as clean as it gets to my ears and at the very end of Dew, it actually captures Phil's dive bomb to the final note. The other versions up there don't capture that. I'm fairly sure that Relisten has all of the archive versions, but I haven't done a comprehensive statistical analysis as to whether that's likely a true statement or not.

21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

You mean that time he nailed a retread to his shoe and prayed for better weather?

JRM, bzfgt, wavethatflag and 7 others like this.
  22. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

@Crispy Rob

Made good on 2/3 of my promise and listened to 6 15 and 6 16 90 while driving out ti texas today

6 15 was one of the greatest shows ive ever heard. That Scar Fire and that EPIC Hes Gone space meltdown! Sick.

Night two is equally great but i think i prefer night one more.

Killer stuff and some inspired song placements. :)

ThirdBowl likes this.
  23. wavethatflag

Discs reunited, and it feels so good. @ianuaditis inspired me to spend the last hour and a half hunting down the cases for my perennial Caselogic discs. Only a few strays remain but I have the enemy surrounded.
    I think that was me, only I was tying an onion to my belt which -- wait for it -- was the style at the time.

ThirdBowl, Crispy Rob, bzfgt and 7 others like this.
  24. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Evil Twin

Well, I didn't find DP 7 disc 3 yet.

But I did knock over a stack of CDs while cleaning up and came across a blank CD-R inside of Springsteen's Born to Run (A CD I've never actually owned, but I believe I have two 'repurposed' cases of it. )

Anyway, I didn't need to hear but a minute to realize it's my (still unlabelled...jeez) former mystery disc of Cleveland 12-6-73!

Sometimes, life gives you lemons....this will be a good soundtrack to find the missing Dark Star.

25. pbuzby

pbuzby Forum Resident

Listening to 12/30/79 now from an Archive audience recording by a taper named Mark Severson. The jam between Scarlet and Fire is unusual and very good.