The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

You may be right, Mickey had left the band and they were adapting to new circumstances.

warewolf95 likes this.
  2. US Blues

The best shows of the year are in January and February before Keith & Donna's final show on 17 February. The one exception is 1 December in Pittsburgh, that show is outta sight.

The May tour gets right into the "arena rock" sound, with a key exception being Penn State on 8 May, that's a more psychedelic evening. The few June & July shows don't move my meter much.

On 4 August Jerry debut's the Tiger, and the same weekend the PA system has been upgraded with Meyer's Sound subwoofers, which changed the delivery of sound into the venue. August and early September are up and down, great second set at MSG on 5 September. Beginning in October the boys find their stride, and this continues through the end of the year.

Mansley, nitsuj, Crispy Rob and 6 others like this.
  3. trd

trd Forum Resident

Last minute decision to drive up to TXR for Phil with the Terrapin band and holly bowling and Scott Law . Scored a ticket in the parking lot! Not a bad Monday evening ahead.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Billy_Sunday, mgb70, nitsuj and 4 others like this.
  4. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

If that doesn't raise the hairs on the back of your neck, you might be comatose.

nitsuj, Crispy Rob, JRM and 1 other person like this.
  5. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I'm a Monday warrior
    Mean, mean stride
    Today's wavethatflag
    Mean, mean, cuz I went to work today.

Neeener neener neener
    Neener neener noo
    Neeener neener neener (this is me scatting Ged's keyboard line)

Edit to save relevance of post: Continuing on with Dick's Picks 35. I may have mentioned that I bought this one for 50 dollars in late 2005 or early '06 because it was a pledge to the Professor's Deadpod podcast. I'm a humanitarian. Thanks.

6. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I really wish Three From The Vault had never come out. That kinda screws the pooch on my plan. Why Phil vetoed the 2/18/71 proposed release I'll never know. That's really the one I want, in best possible SQ. But being a multi-track recording there is little to no chance it becomes a Dave's Pick. Nevertheless I will continue to lobby for it getting an official polish and release, whether as part of a box or not.

7. US Blues

I'd love to read your review of the Playing In The Band Reprise > Casey Jones, beginning after the verses in the reprise. For my money Jerry's playing through that stretch goes beyond the ridiculous to the sublime.

8. trd

trd Forum Resident

Countrified first set...

SETI

(5:51pm)

Jack Straw
    Candyman
    **ross James tune**
    FOTD
    Mississippi Half Step

(7pm)

US Blues, budwhite and wavethatflag like this.
  9. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

What show is this?

10. Archtop

On it. I listened to that Miracle--> Shakedown transition so many times I don't remember anything else about the show.

11. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

He's at Terrapin Crossroads tonight and the next two, I think. Phil and so and so with special guest so and so. These will be good shows, because I think some of the players are above the cut of the usual Terrapin Family Band crew. Plus they charged like 20 bucks more than usual, so Phil will be down for serious business.

I would have gone to at least one, but I've almost got my stupid flu licked, so am taking 'er easy.

US Blues, budwhite and trd like this.
  12. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Having not heard these shows, what qualifies them as subpar?

Just saw the repetition comment. I really liked 3 from the vault.

warewolf95 likes this.
  13. Archtop

For context, I went back to the very end of Playin' proper, then Space--> Playin Reprise--> Casey Jones.

A short Space that is, overall, rather structured and clearly evolves into a Playin' reprise early on (with a very defined meter in the latter half). After the vocals in the reprise, we get Jerry sounding like he's on pedal steel, with dense chords and more twang than Conway Twitty's powder blue leisure suit. During Casey Jones, Jer delivers a short solo that's heavily melody-derivative for the most part, but ends with a very tasteful flurry of notes. Some impassioned vocals and pounding percussion lead us out to a power-chord ending and a falsetto Bobby Thank You.

And then there was much rejoicing.

14. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

! This predates the leisure suit.

It's well known the GD were into Bakersfield country, so they probably got the song straight from Merle, but they sure had similar taste in covers to Conway Twitty.

He does a Rock & Roll version of 'You Win Again' back in the 50s with shooby doop backup singers and everything, and also was known to sing 'the Race is On' well into his leisure suit days.

Also Seasons of my Heart and Green Green Grass of Home

15. trd

trd Forum Resident

SET II

(7:40pm)
    Yes We Can*
    Alligator ->
    Bird Song
    Dreadful Wind and Rain (Two Sisters)
    Baby, Let Me Follow You Down >
    Bertha
    (8:36pm)

* Allen Touissant cover

16. Archtop

I think Jerry would have looked great with a pompadour, but not in the red t-shirt, of course.

17. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I’m still mystified - and annoyed - by this HDCD (or not) thing. May 1977 was (and still is on Dead.net) advertised as being an HDCD release (NB: It just says that it is “mastered in HDCD”, not that it is encoded in HDCD). Before today I had never burned my FLACs to CD and had just relied on playing back the files. Today I burned the St Paul show from 11 May to CDs. My Oppo BDP-93 seems to regard the disc as an HDCD and, when playing several of the tracks, regards them as being HDCD encoded for a while (maybe ten seconds) then calls them CDDA tracks.

Presumably this means that the tracks are not properly encoded...or that the Oppo is struggling to decode them...or something else is awry.

What concerns me is that, after @rbbert reported that May 1977 utilises HDCD (which I take to mean that peak extension is enabled), the FLAC files are somehow not able to be decoded and are dynamically compromised compared with the CDs.

Any thoughts? I am happy to provide a FLAC from the download in order that someone with the CD box, the necessary software and sufficient motivation can compare the corresponding track on the box to see if there is a difference. It would be a substantial favour to those of us who bought the FLAC download (assuming that it isn’t just me.)

As long as they finally admit that there were no shows on 22 and 23 January...although, in their defence, according to David L, the dates on the tapes/boxes appear to be 22 and 23 January.

Don’t forget the Spanish Jams! There’s that super long one that is made by the cut “23” January tape ending mid jam and the “27” January tape that is just a Spanish Jam, with a missing intro. In other words, the all but complete Spanish Jam from 27 January.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

From what I've heard of the Capital Theatre Feb 71 shows, they were a bit shaky due to Mickey's sudden departure and all the new songs, and without many extended jams. But if you like 3FTV you will probably enjoy checking them out (there are good versions on the Archive).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. US Blues

I have a BDP-93, and it always shows the HDCD light when I play the manufactured discs. On those occasions when I rip and burn discs it also has the HDCD light come on. I believe that Norman's Pacific Microsonics system will tag the files with the HDCD code no matter how much or how little HDCD functionality he's utilizing.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  20. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

The May '77 box does not utilize HDCD features. If it did, there would be a 5-6 dB volume drop when the HDCD light is on, compared to when it is off. As it is, the sound from your Oppo is probably the same for these albums regardless of whether HDCD is on or not (and remember, you can turn off HDCD in the Setup menu).

Six Bachelors and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Approximately 11 years ago I was listening to this DP for the very first time.
    [​IMG]
    Listening to disc 3 right now.

22. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

As we used to say, "Trouble ahead, Jerry in red!"

Crispy Rob, Archtop, adamos and 5 others like this.
  23. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Extremely jealous of you folks close to the Pliny the Elder source. Still one of my SF trip highlights was finally tasting some on draft.

Mansley, Crispy Rob, Mad Dog and 2 others like this.
  24. trd

trd Forum Resident

I had to leave before the show was finished but the band was playing really well last night. I’m excited to see Phil with some top flight jazzers in a couple of weeks

The Don’t Think Twice was sublime

SET III (incomplete)
    (9:05pm)
    Cream Puff War jam**
    Deal
    Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright
    Terrapin Station
    Jam >
    Minglewood >
    Rumble

25. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident