The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. trd

trd Forum Resident

Thanks to whoever recommended that 5/9/79 FOB. Streaming in my office from relisten app on my iphone to my xiaomi headphones. It's been a slog of a day, this tape is definitely helping

:cheers:

2. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Plus it’s not that much. My wife thinks so. If it was up to me I’d get front row loge for $300!! Then again without my wife, I’d probably be broke!!!

3. Dahabenzapple

12/12/69 care of Dave’s 10

Let’s get this started with a smoking Cold Rain & Snow

First set gets a bit rough but I love it all:)

4. SteveD.

SteveD. Forum Resident

Really stoked today - UPS brought my new Marshall Mode earbuds. What a difference - these beat the crap out of my $8 panasonic throwaways. Comes w/ the new Donna screech filter software :).
    Also, waiting tomorrow on delivery of some Sennheiser HD600 cans, which for $286 better make Bobby play slide in tune?

5. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Beat Club and Luxembourg.

warewolf95 likes this.
  6. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Let me know how that goes for ya ;)

US Blues likes this.
  7. Keep in mind 4/7 only circulated in pretty rough sounding AUD before it’s official release, that’s one reason.

warewolf95, budwhite and trd like this.
  8. Dahabenzapple

Great long rough early versions of Easy Wind & Cumberland Blues

Plus the bits of chatter from the band is priceless

Let’s hope we get another late 69 show on Dave’s 27 or 28.

9. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I'm at the Hollywood Palladium tonight, in my head. Disc 4 of Dick's 35, 8/6/71.

The good ol' Grateful Dead.

:yikes:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    adamos, Crispy Rob, budwhite and 4 others like this.
  10. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Now and again these things have just got to be done!

bzfgt and wavethatflag like this.
  11. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I'm glad I'm done with GD collecting on the aftermarket. The Fillmore West box... [shudders]. But that one had to be done.

12. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Late '69 would be great, but honestly, I'd take any above-average show from '67 to '70 to be on an upcoming Dave's. You all know that I love the Pigpen/primal era!

Mansley, ianuaditis, US Blues and 6 others like this.
  13. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I went with the Relisten app, and landed on Hartford 4/3/86, a show I know well from my high school tape trading days. You could do a lot worse, a solid Bird Song, and then a Supplication Jam into Let It Grow to end the first set, although there are some hiccups in the Let It Grow. Second set pre-drums starts with a well played Uncle John's into a 15-minute Playing that is strong, and then possibly into (whatever it's worth) the best version of Brent's I Don't Need Love that they played. That one falls in about the middle of the pack of Brent songs for me, which is damning with faint praise but also makes the point that I don't always need my GD songs to be sunshine and rainbows. I think it works as a song and a performance, albeit not one that I would park at a critical point in the second set. Post-Space a decent but, as often the case in that era, perfunctory and short Other One, followed by a very good Wharf Rat. Solid It's All Over Now, Baby Blue encore and that's all she wrote.

I had become a fan of the GD in summer or fall 1985, and didn't realistically think I had a shot to make it to a show until the 4/3 and 4/4/86 Hartford shows. Unfortunately, I was six months shy of having a drivers license and hadn't yet made friends with anyone who both had a license and wanted to go. and unlike venues in NYC and New Haven, I couldn't get there by train. I briefly toyed with hitchhiking to those shows but chickened out. That summer, they also skipped the greater NYC area, and then Jerry had his coma. I thought I would never see him live. Boy was I wrong. Anyway, the tapes I got of the 4/86 Hartford shows around the time of the coma were at the time a bittersweet reminder of what might have been. Luckily, although pretty solid for '86, they weren't earth-shattering after all, and starting in '87 I made up for lost chances with a vengeance.

14. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Binghamton, NY 83-04-12. Solid show. Jerry's on his way into that helium voice territory, but his vocals are quite strong for '83

15. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Isn't it better to just be your usual, warewolfy self and enjoy everything? At least until you've heard it ;)

ianuaditis, trd, warewolf95 and 2 others like this.
  16. BurtThomasWard

Oh no :cry:

There isn't a 'eh' or 'meh' nanosecond on the entire tour and that is including Donna's out of tune screaming.

My heart is now broken. YMMNV.

17. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Those are the lowest points for Europe '72 for me as well, but they are still pretty darn good.

SBegonias17 and budwhite like this.
  18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Paging US Blues.

US Blues likes this.
  19. BurtThomasWard

You too, Rocking Rob? This horse will drink tonight.

Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  20. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

the PCM that circulates of 4/3/86 is excellent. I love that first set.

Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  21. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Yeah, no need...he recommended it in another thread just yesterday:righton:

Crispy Rob, ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  22. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Maybe they benefited from the more frequent days off...?

I’m still feeling ill about what I paid for that some months ago. I may never recover.

ducksdeluxe and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

I am bored by the 4/8 Dark Star (same with Missoula 74) and like 4/7 more. Love the 4/8 LLRain though.

US Blues and warewolf95 like this.
  24. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Yeah, they’re not bad at all (ok, the multiple false starts at Beat Club disrupt things considerably).

But they’re just average performances for the ‘70-‘74 period and there’s probably about 4 dozen shows in ‘72 that are better.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Amen.

BurtThomasWard and ianuaditis like this.