The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

"The music holds up...."

budwhite and DrLunchbox like this.
  2. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

In addition to the MIA Keith, the box also generally lacks low end (below 100hz) and high end (above 7,000hz). Not sure if that was more of a mastering issue vs. mixing.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

How do you know for certain?

4. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

Found this via the Google: Grateful Dead Guide: The Europe '72 Overdubs (Guest Post)

One More Saturday Night * Though it’s almost impossible to tell, Weir redid at least some of his lead vocal – the chorus from 2:20-2:30 is slightly different on the album compared to the box set mix – but in general the vocal inflections are so identical it’s hard to spot any difference, and harder to tell why he took the trouble. Backing vocals were clearly overdubbed at the end, since these were not on the live tape. Pigpen’s organ was omitted from the album, and Keith's piano was overdubbed. The piano overdub is on the box set mix.​

Matthew Tate and notesofachord like this.
  5. wavethatflag

Nooooo! I won't believe it. Nooooo! [Faints.]

I will find this "Steven Seachrist" and depose him under oath.

budwhite, Matthew Tate and US Blues like this.
  6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The version of 5/26/72 on the Archive is the two-track soundboard with the original piano and vocals.

7. wavethatflag

I've actually read that overdubbing article before, but I guess I didn't read all of it. So my favorite OMSN never actually happened?

Wow, just like the moon landing.

8. wavethatflag

I really need to listen to it.

US Blues and warewolf95 like this.
  9. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Imagine the crazy hours that we all would end up dropping into that deeeeep black hole.

10. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Got through 4 11 72 newcastle today.

Pretty lethargic show except foe the jam numbers which are INSANE!

Holy mothwr of cosmic insanity the Truckin>TOO is one of the greatest things ive ever experienced.

budwhite and US Blues like this.
  11. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I agree that Newcastle is not as stellar overall as most of the early E72 shows, but that Truckin>Other One>Comes a Time is still an amazing sequence. Plus, the show has a "Brokedown Palace" encore (also used to conclude the Steppin' Out 4CD boxset). Basically, the second set is very strong and saves the show from its somewhat average first set.

12. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

from the same source:

"Keith... replaced his piano part in several songs with more lively, embellished playing.

It Hurts Me Too: Keith's piano was definitely overdubbed on the album. His part is much fancier than what he played live. The original live piano was included on the box set mix.

He's Gone: Keith’s piano in this song is entirely overdubbed on the album, adding a lot of embellishments.

Ramble On Rose: Keith's piano was also overdubbed on the album, and the piano overdub is on the box set mix."

And as mentioned, One More Saturday Night.

(The article also argues that more care was lavished on various E 72 releases that came out before the big Complete E 72 trunk, especially (IMO) on the 4-CD Steppin' Out compilation: "Keith Godchaux in particular receives more attention to detail on the older mixes.")

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  13. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

This was my first Dave’s Picks and it’s still one of my favorites.

Mansley, Blue Note, Ezzie and 13 others like this.
  14. wavethatflag

Me too and me too.

15. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Betty's 2 track recordings were mixed live in the recording truck outside the venue. They are brilliant documents of the Europe shows. I'd pay for copies of those tapes run through the Plangent Process. :agree:

16. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

One of my favorites since well since I discovered this band/show back in the late 90’s.

17. notesofachord

I didn't buy Dave's 5 (11/17/73) at the time because I thought I already had plenty of fall '73.

:doh:

Silly me. You cannot have too much fall '73. Then again, I think I may have that show on mp3 somewhere. Oh well.

18. warewolf95

My thoughts pretty much. :)

US Blues likes this.
  19. notesofachord

For sure. From what I've heard, Betty's tapes have a mix that is more like the regular '72 shows (see Dave's 14 and Dick's 30 from the Academy of Music). The E72 box mixes, on the other hand, put you "on the stage" rather than being 5 rows back in the crowd (Betty). On the E72 box the guitars are very forward and detailed and Billy's drums are spread across the stereo space.

20. warewolf95

Possibly my favorite cover art of the whole series. It jist looks so flippin good.

Matthew Tate, SBegonias17 and adamos like this.
  21. US Blues

Betty's mix of these shows are the best 2 tracks from 1972, she had speakers in the truck for monitoring, and wasn't in the hall with all the background noise from the PA. Betty working in optimal conditions makes for magic recordings.

22. US Blues

I have every show from the Fall of '73, official and otherwise, I still don't have enough Fall '73!! :cry:

23. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

There ISN'T enough Fall 73, which is what you're saying, but you know, I agree.

24. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Ditto on being my favorite. Not my first Dave's but certainly the first one I broke a certain threshold purchasing. No regrets.

warewolf95, adamos and US Blues like this.
  25. notesofachord

Wait. Hold on. That means that even though you have every recorded show, you still pine for those imaginary gigs from that era that would've been played in between the shows that were played. Maybe it's the music that they played jamming together in each other's dreams in the subconscious alternate dimension from another reality.

Far freakin' out, man. Mind = blown.

[​IMG]