The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Btw @warewolf95 what xtc albums have you been listening to?

2. trd

trd Forum Resident

I’m not a fan of the music (don’t hate it, don’t love it) but I really enjoyed the HBO series they did visiting different cities. I wasn’t always in to the musical collaboration that closed each show but the hour leading up to it was great stuff for a (rock) music nerd

budwhite, Crispy Rob and adamos like this.
  3. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

While I can't say that I'm a fan of the fighters of Foo, I do have nostalgic feelings towards the first song/music video I heard of theirs from the mid '90s - "I'll Stick Around". When I hear that song it's instantly 1995 and I'm in high school again. It helps too that the earliest Foo Fighters stuff is the most obviously Nirvana-inspired.

4. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Completely agree.

DrLunchbox and trd like this.
  5. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Disc 1 (set 1) from 1/22/78 via Dave’s 23 is the best first set ever!!

Well at least it’s incredibly exciting and all that and more!!

Six Bachelors, bzfgt, adamos and 6 others like this.
  6. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

No need to apologize for harping on anything in this thread. Nice avatar, BTW.

Today I'll be harping on how great April 78 is. Listening to two 'lesser known' shows, 4-15-78 and 4-18-78. Both unique sets for 78 - In the first set 4-15 offers a good Half Step, Friend of the Devil and Let it Grow (among the usual suspects,) whereas Set 2 gives us Sunrise>Playin in the Band, followed by a typically noodly late 70s NFA which gives way to the only rendition of Morning Dew of 78.

4-18's first set opens with a solid Minglewood, followed by a extended Sugaree and an excellent Looks Like Rain. Set 2 opens with Scarlet, but instead of the typical transition to Fire on the Mountain, it's a short drum break into Dancin' in the Streets. Samson and Delilah out of Drums is another unusual call, though I can't exactly call it 'refreshing' to hear it outside its usual slot, at least it's out of the ordinary. Then a Terrapin>Around and Around set closer followed by a rollicking US Blues encore.

The Half Step on 4-15 is kind of 78 in a nutshell. Just as I'm writing 'great soloing on the 'jazz' part', the next run through is a bit clunky and pedestrian. But they redeem it later. And Morning Dew is its usual self, a shame they didn't trot it out a bit more frequently that year.
    Many of my favorite first sets are from 78. I have a hard time deciding. Definitely my favorite versions of Half Step and Peggy-O come from different 78 shows, and there are some other candidates in there too.

7. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

9. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I immediately thought "European radio broadcast compilation" but the label is listed as Grateful Dead Productions.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Yeah that's what I thought too. But it says an official GDP release. Also the art and logo look official.

Matthew Tate and wavethatflag like this.
  11. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

I always look for the 13 point lightning bolt to see if it's official.:)

US Blues, Matthew Tate and ianuaditis like this.
  12. ianuaditis

13. wavethatflag

They must understand they're poking the hornets' nest by putting out a live compilation and calling it "Best Of."

14. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Maybe a live disc of this 50th anni comp?

[​IMG]

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Oh yeah.

16. wavethatflag

It would have been better if they called it Dave's Faves or More Fallout From the Phil Zone or something else that won't immediately produce debate, criticism, angst, aneurysms, "but muh whole show," etc.

17. ianuaditis

It still kind of boggles my mind that a band whose entire live catalog is basically legally available for free if you apply yourself continues to troll its fanbase as often as these guys do.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  18. wavethatflag

But if downloading free shows was school, I'd get "needs more effort." I view the Dick's and Dave's series as using someone else's homework.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  19. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

? [Edit: duh, the release date. At first I was wondering if you were saying that was the contents of the disc, and then with the SNACK benefit reference I thought you were playing off of wavethatflag's school reference somehow. I should have used Occam's razor.]

Archtop, US Blues and budwhite like this.
  21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

1/22/78 McArthur Court, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR, a/k/a Dave's 23 a/k/a the doofus hipster skeletons make first contact. First set. They come out of the box and take over the crowd/soundscape/whatever like the venue's namesake General taking the Pacific on a Dude-worthy regimen of acid, coke, and Oregon's finest legally cultivated project. A fine, fine first set, as all or virtually all of you know, left a smoking crater and all that. Back in the '90s I walked by this venue many times and fantasized about being inside for this show (same re: the Hult Center, although it was not as much a part of my daily stomping grounds).

22. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

don't buy the warlocks box...they screwed up the sound, just like Crimson White and Indigo 7/7/89 (compare it to the Blow Away filler on the expanded Built To Last).

Matthew Tate, US Blues and Tom B like this.
  23. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Oh I’ve got it - just amazed that PREX are charging $200.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Yeah, I riff off of dates of Dead shows that way, my prodigious memory holds anniversary dates from the late 60's and 70's (not the 80's or 90's), and they'll fly out like that. If I wasn't so tired when I made the post I would have added 23 March 1972 at the Academy of music, notable for a brilliant stand-alone Dark Star. It's like that in here, many people would find the inside of my mind a terrifying place, even Spock refused me a Vulcan mind-meld. :nyah:

25. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yup!

US Blues likes this.