The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Depends on what era you like. Any of them that I have from 2/68, 5/70, 11/73, 6/74, 6/76, Fall 77 or Fall 79 are great. Even the recently re-released RT 4.4 (4/82) is worth hearing despite dicey cassette recorded sound.

adamos, ianuaditis and SBegonias17 like this.
  2. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

My take is that the November '73 and June '74 RTs are head and shoulders above the rest, but that's not really a surprise to anyone, is it?

Billy_Sunday, JRM, adamos and 9 others like this.
  3. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Depends on your tastes and experience level. If you're like most around here the Denver 1973 and summer 1974 releases might suit you. But if you're like me you will love the summer 71 and Austin 11/15/71 RTs. They rock.

4. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

I have been spending a ton of time in 77... really love the band in this era.

June 74 seems like it could be interesting... maybe ill go there!

NorCal, Crispy Rob, Archtop and 4 others like this.
  5. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Nor is it surprising I second that emotion.

6. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

I concur. RT 4.4 is really good. I also really like the MSG ‘90 if you want to here the later years.

7. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Or hear them. :D

SBegonias17 likes this.
  8. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

I know nothing about the 80's or 90's :( "Don't murder me.."

9. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

You're not missing anything....

10. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

:-popcorn::-popcorn::-popcorn:

SBegonias17 likes this.
  11. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

2/14/68 might take some umbrage at this :shh:

12. cedarbrew

cedarbrew Forum Resident

Well, well. I just listened to disc 3 of DiP 8 on Sunday. Love those primal jams, and while This is a Man's World and Viola Lee make my mind reel out of control, it's the middle melodic jam of Dancin' and the apocalyptic Morning Dew that really captivated me yesterday.

13. cedarbrew

cedarbrew Forum Resident

Those two 71s, 5/70, and 2/68 do it the most for me. But then again, I don't try to hide my retro preferences, with their full throated, muscular guitar riffs, unbridled energy, and the occasional psychedelic organ excursions.

14. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

15. BurtThomasWard

The "Samson"'s are usually just okay (the added plus or minus-prefix may vary from mildly to wildly, ofc), but this Binghamton one makes me wanna testify, brothers. Phil is unusually groovy and poppin' here and miss Donna Jean is mos def not in screech county. Even that sly rascal mr. Boppin Bob almost sells me his snake oil this time 'round.

There might one day some day be 'enough' 1977 out there, perhaps. But this is not it. Not by a long shot, Sir. This is actually that other type of IT. And what that it is, well, it is that it is gooood. They just turned my Monday into a Sunday.

16. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Better to read The Great Liberation Through Hearing in the Intermediate State, aka, The Tibetan Book of the Dead.

Archtop, fishcane and Spadeygrove like this.
  17. SBegonias17

Hey, I’m typing this on my phone.

18. SBegonias17

4.4 is a better show than some of the RTs from the 60s/70s. The gems are fewer and farther between, but they are still there.

Spadeygrove, Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  19. SBegonias17

Rectify that - the two Road Trips I suggested are great places to start!

20. Dahabenzapple

What IS great about RT 4.4 is the bonus mini-sandwich PITB>Ship of Fools>PITB from 8/5/82 - especially the second half of said sandwich - very tasty abstract improvisation which faded into Drums as the disc ends...

21. BurtThomasWard

I'm not trying to be contrarian here (god knows I'd never do ya that way), but hopefully my sacrilege will (not) offend anyone. I think DaP 25 is much better than the Hallowed 23. In fact, I haven't enjoyed one of these thingies this much since numero 15. Maybe I'm just hopped up on first date nerves and the joy of something new n beautify here, but this thing is just sweet.

The overall guitar tone and choice of notes, the incredible vocals (!!!) of "St Steven" and the drummers, man. TH' DRUMMERS :love:

22. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Of course, here is how that segment of the show actually went:

Playin' In The Band-> Ship of Fools-> Drums-> The Wheel-> Playin' In The Band-> Wharf Rat->

Crispy Rob and Dahabenzapple like this.
  23. Dahabenzapple

Thanks - I sure wish they put the whole sequence on the release!

But I checked and I notice that there is a 9:48 PITB Jam section after SOF that is on the RT release. At least they didn’t chop that up:)

Six Bachelors and footlooseman like this.
  24. xtianDC

xtianDC Forum Resident

Over the course of the last several months, I’ve gone from casual fan to basically obsessed. This thread (and many others here...thank you great search function) have proven to be a deep well of inspiration and information. So first off...thanks for augmenting what has thus far been an incredibly rewarding journey (with no end in sight). The real reason I’m de-lurking is to solicit for book recommendations. I’m midway through the Dennis McNally book, which is great in its own way but also somewhat frustrating in that it is weighted quite heavily toward the early years and the San Francisco scene. While I feel that is a necessary bedrock, I can already anticipate wanting a deeper dive into the years where most of my listening has thus far been mainly rooted (ie, 71-91).

What can the seasoned folks recommend in terms of books that really delve into the touring years, so to speak? While I know that there are the Lesh and Kreutzmann books out there, I think I’m more apt to try for another overview of the band’s career as opposed to an inside view. McNally goes into insane detail, but right now I’m kind of like “yeah yeah, who cares about the Diggers, can we get into writing Dark Star, or creating the Wall Of Sound, or dealing with Jerry’s coma or how the band scored an unlikely smash hit or or or...”

25. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

I've read probably a few dozen books on the Grateful Dead, but for a quick response, I'd say absolute must reads are Phil Lesh's book, "Searching for the Sound," and the book on Jerry, "Garcia: An American Life" by Blair Jackson. For the outside looking in view, the Gans and Jackson newer book called "This is all the dream we dreamed".