The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

That's the raw from "Grateful Dawg." Look at the 24 minute mark and you'll recognize what made the cut. Very cool!

NorCal, Jman92, Spadeygrove and 3 others like this.
  2. STGATX

STGATX Forum Resident

I'm partial to that particular version of "Deal" it's probably the organ and the harmonies. Of course, that guitar player isn't bad either. He might make a name for himself.. :D

trd likes this.
  3. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

Currently Playing Dave's 21. 4-2-73. I am new to 73.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    dtuck90, NorCal, Matthew Tate and 7 others like this.
  4. nfmboss666

I am on the hunt for this!

5. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

The 2 CD release with the DVD extra with concert footage is easily available for $25 or $30 for hopefully a decent copy. A copy of the bonus disc was gifted to me by a very nice person who has been known to love 1978 Grateful Dead. An actual bonus disc will be at least $40-$50.

NorCal, ianuaditis, adamos and 4 others like this.
  6. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

It’s 4-2-73 and get ready for the great second half of the second set. The Playing in The Band to end Set 1 is an all- time version.

7. nfmboss666

Yes. I may settle for the standard 2 CD w/DVD but keeping my fingers crossed that one with the BD will pop up.

Whoops! sorry. Edited my post. Can't wait to hear the PITB

Matthew Tate, ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  8. fishcane

fishcane Forum Resident

My post was an admitted poor attempt to satirize this thread:
    Best sounding Grateful Dead CD with HDCD encoding?

bzfgt, budwhite and wavethatflag like this.
  9. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Matthew Tate, ianuaditis, JRM and 2 others like this.
  10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Forum Resident

Yeah, I initially passed on Egypt '78 when it was released -- I did not become fully immersed in the band's music until a few years later, so I missed out on this bonus disc, which is very aggravating because I am one of those fans who dig Egypt '78.

11. ThirdBowl

ThirdBowl Have You Had Your Third Bowl Today?

Just makin' sure!

Crispy Rob likes this.
  12. nfmboss666

Wow this is a really cool show! The Playin', Eyes, & China Doll are mind blowing.

13. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

They deserve more exposure/recognition is my point. :)

US Blues, Matthew Tate and ianuaditis like this.
  14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

They were pretty well regarded at the time both in terms of word of mouth and soundboard tapes surfacing and spreading rapidly. I was certainly kicking myself for selling my tickets and not making the trip down there after Nassau. (Car and wallet both having problems at the time). I listened to the second set of 4/1/91 a ton back in the day. And of course the Samson and Eyes from 3/31/91 were released on Dick's Picks 18.

I saw the Greensboro shows in '89, though. Despite the heavy handed police presence ("test me test me, why don't you arrest me" got a big crowd roar), it was a fun place to see them, and a bit smaller venue than the norm at that time. The second '89 show with the Hey Pocky Way that ended up on the box set was the better of the two, but they were both good shows with a very high energy crowd.

15. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Forum Resident

For some reason "double mctwist when you hit the air" keeps running through my brain.

16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Listening to another show that is new to me, thanks to Random Show on Relisten (which I've been using a lot at work, since my iPod is out of commission): 5/12/81 New Haven (Veteran's Memorial Coliseum, where I saw a bunch of shows a few years after this, although never the GOGD there). Hot China Cat->Rider to end the first set, a nice Shakedown to start the second, and He's Gone is dedicated to Bob Marley who had passed away the previous day and followed by a nice long jam that goes some interesting places.

ThirdBowl, US Blues, budwhite and 3 others like this.
  17. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Happy Merl Saunders Day everyone! Born on this day in 1934 in San Mateo, California.

After Garcia fell into a diabetic coma in 1986 and lost some of his basic motor skills, Mr. Saunders spent hours daily with the stricken guitarist running scales, working him out on jazz standards such as "My Funny Valentine.” [dead.net]

[​IMG]

18. fishcane

fishcane Forum Resident

These shows were on the second leg of an east coast saturated spring tour. We headed to Landover for the Cap run, back up for the Knick run and then down to Nassau before dropping off. Boy was I sorry to have missed that 2nd leg, post Nassau... Made up for it by catching the entire summer run :)

ThirdBowl, NorCal, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  19. trd

trd Forum Resident

One more conference call and then it’s time for 2/14/68

20. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

You asked for good pics, but it reminded of this video of what is supposedly his last interview in ‘95. He was looking a bit worse for wear that day and seemed a bit out of it at times.

NorCal, Archtop, ianuaditis and 3 others like this.
  21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That's pretty much what I caught as well - last two nights of Landover and then all of Albany and Nassau.

US Blues, fishcane and ianuaditis like this.
  22. warewolf95

Ive seen that around but never watched it til now. That had me laughing and smiling straight off the bat. :)

Cool too when he mentions the 78 show from the box set.

23. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

And for something happier:

[​IMG]

ThirdBowl, NorCal, trd and 1 other person like this.
  24. warewolf95

m.youtube.com/watch?v=sN4E5GQIZao

Cool uncut MTV interview from 83 of all years.

Really cool to hear Jerry talk about switching from acoustic to electric and pedal steel etc.

Apparently he thought his guitar playing was affected by it.

Anyone heard enough 1970 material when he played with NRPS that can comment on if they notice any quality drop?

ianuaditis and adamos like this.
  25. warewolf95

Oh crap i dig that. New background pic. Thanks mate. :)

NorCal and adamos like this.