The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

[​IMG] '
    It was

[​IMG]

notesofachord, US Blues and bzfgt like this.
  2. warewolf95

Best of luck to you and her. Hope she's ok. :) (where the hell is the "give hug" emoji when I need it?!)

Crispy Rob, Claxton, JRM and 2 others like this.
  3. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Pleased to me you, hope you guess my name. btw- Lucifer is Latin, it means "Bringer of Light." Meditate on that one for a good long while.

4. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Today's pickup truck drivin' cassette deck playin' two-on-one music

[​IMG]

5. warewolf95

But light can be bad. I mean, hell, sensitivity to it caused Dennis DeYoung to have to leave Styx. That was VERY BAD! :)

bzfgt and wavethatflag like this.
  6. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I thought they booted him for the Kilroy Was Here fiasco.

I saw that episode of VH1's Behind The Music, but the only things I remember are Kilroy Was Here was a total flop, and Dennis de Young shouldn't be singing in his son's band.

7. warewolf95

Nah, that was just the band ending as a whole. They reunited later on but he had to quit because he was apparently getting sick due to light sensitivity and the rest of the guys didnt want to wait for him to get better. They probably used that as their scapegoat to get rid of him, lol.

wavethatflag likes this.
  8. wavethatflag

Oh wow, poor Dennis de Young, that sucks. Aren't the rhythm section brothers dead, anyway? Not to sound crass. So it's just Shaw and the rhythm player as Styx?

Matthew Tate and warewolf95 like this.
  9. warewolf95

Yup, as far as I know (I'm probably wrong).

Not to bash one or the other, but I've never liked the current Styx and would rather see Dennis solo. Dennis just seems so down to earth and the other guys always rub me the wrong, snarky, way for some reason. Besides, Dennis wrote most of their hits anyways. :p

wavethatflag likes this.
  10. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

just the drummer is dead. the bass player is there when he is healthy enough. yes its founding member james jy young, the lead guitar player, and tommy shaw

warewolf95 and wavethatflag like this.
  11. wavethatflag

Plus, although he arguably did it in a very lame way, Dennis was the only member of the band to succeed in another music genre, adult easy listening, with "Desert Moon."

warewolf95 likes this.
  12. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

if the info is right. the band has 16 top 40 hits. deyoung wrote/co-wrote 12. tommy shaw wrote/co-wrote 5 including the 4 that dennis didn't write.

warewolf95 likes this.
  13. warewolf95

Exactly. I'd rather see Dennis do his own songs instead of the current Styx singing them. Mainly because he's still alive and kicking. If he was dead and gone that'd be different.

Matthew Tate and Doggiedogma like this.
  14. warewolf95

Doesn't matter - he's still one of the most underrated singers from an extremely successful band out there. The dude had/has pipes!

Doggiedogma and wavethatflag like this.
  15. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

17 February 1979- Oakland. Keith & Donna Godchaux's final performance with the Grateful Dead. Many tunes returned to the line-up this night, a performance heavy with history, and a fond farewell.

Keith Godchaux died in July 1980 after being a passenger in a car accident, he passed two days after the accident never having regained consciousness.

The piano bench is something of a hot seat...

~ Bob Weir

16. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I guess if “guitar” was pronounced in the country/twangy way then the emphasis would be on the first syllable, same as “quasar”. So from that standpoint it would work.

EDIT: On 2/18/71, which I believe is the first GSET, Bob did use "guitar" but the emphasis was on the second syllable:

//archive.org/details/gd71-02-18.sbd.orf.107.sbeok.shnf/gd-1971-02-18-d1-t05.wav.shn

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    Wright, Crispy Rob, JRM and 3 others like this.
  17. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

It's amazing what great music can do for the soul. My well-wishes for you and your family!

bzfgt, Claxton, ianuaditis and 2 others like this.
  18. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

One of my first Dead tapes that I had.

19. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Growing up, I was friends with one of Dennis' relatives - so I was at quite a few birthday parties where he was in attendance, too -- very laid back affairs.

warewolf95 likes this.
  20. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

But it's a shorter syllable nevertheless and doesn't fit as well. And it's kind of hokey, whereas "quasar" is probably even hokier enough that it kind of passes through the other side...

adamos and Crispy Rob like this.
  21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I had Naks for the bulk of my tape trading days and mostly traded with other Nak owners. I can't speak much to the Dolby aspect though as I and most people I traded with avoided Dolby like the plague. It tampered down too much else in order to get rid of the hiss, and sucked the life out of recordings in the process.

22. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Agree. First thought, best thought and sometimes the things that make less logical sense have more resonance.

23. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I would think they never knowingly played anything BUT weirdness, but I'm not into the whole nomenclature thing...

bzfgt, trd, Billy_Sunday and 2 others like this.
  24. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I hope she is doing better. Sending thoughts and energy your way.

Claxton and US Blues like this.
  25. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Back to the second half of the second set from 5/10/78 via Dick’s 25. My favorite post-hiatus TOO surpassing the 2/5/78 version on Dick's 18 due to the great space like build up out of drums. I know the Rat that follows is a great one as is the SM that ends the show.

One of the great 1978 shows

budwhite, ianuaditis, adamos and 3 others like this.