The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I'm finding it difficult to sort through them. I was just trying to listen to 4.27.71... and I can't figure out if I prefer it or not yet. The stereo seems to have wider separation (I think), and the bass seems to be more pronounced. I find the bass more pronounced on a lot of them, actually. Now more Phil is never a bad thing... but it is interesting that they have quite different feels (at least to me on my system). I'd love anyone else's reflections on these PCMs . Remind me again what the PCM actually means in this context? I know it's been covered... I just can't find it. Sigh.

2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

After being skeptical of JGB for some time I am finding some pretty high energy stuff from around 1980 and 81.

Crispy Rob, Ezzie, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  3. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Wait, were not English?

Pah.

bzfgt likes this.
  4. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

GarciaLive 9 was a relevation to me Scalding hot show!!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  5. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

IWT also. Spot on review. Also proposed to my wife that afternoon in Tiburon and we still going strong.

6. unravelled

[QUOTE="Archtop, post: 18169596, member:

This is exactly why I don't listen to JGB. I want to hear Jerry sparring with a worthy adversary/compatriot in Phil, not Jerry dragging a lame mule up a sand dune.[/QUOTE]

Why dontcha tell us how you really feel?!? Did Phil ever sit in with JGB?

:laugh:

Crispy Rob, Ezzie and Archtop like this.
  7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes, one or two gigs around 1981 or 2. I haven't heard them yet.

Crispy Rob, bzfgt and budwhite like this.
  8. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The February 1980 tour has some very worthy music. Saw my first JGB show on that tour, 13 Feb in Albany, and that was amazing.

9. US Blues

All of this is true, which is why I noted that magic moment as "Jerry & Phil." I've had that show on tape since c. 1980, and I have never grown tired of that transition from Dark Star > Eyes of the World. Simply extraordinary.

10. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Let me just state this:

There are really only two reasons to read this board:
    1. I want facts;
    2. I want opinions.
    Often when asking for facts, we get some of those and a whole boatload of other stuff. At least when I give my opinion, I can guarantee that it's genuine even if it's not factual.

11. unravelled

I was playing with ya and really do appreciate your insight. I had to laugh at the lame mule up a sand dune! I don't think it's THAT bad but, I know for a fact that its your honest opinion. Funny stuff!!

Now back to DB8 for me!

bzfgt and Archtop like this.
  12. US Blues

And yet you opinion is in fact your opinion. :nyah:

bzfgt and Archtop like this.
  13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Exploring the Fillmore West run of June 1970. On 6/5/70 during a very good "Other One" there is a feedback shriek in the jam after the first verse and someone says "goddamn it!"

14. unravelled

On the recently received DP8, they added back Cold Rain and Snow, which was mysteriously omitted on the CD release. Seems they missed the vocal intro but pushed it back a bar or two seamlessly Fantastic guitar sound on the main riff!! No sound issues or tape cuts

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I understand there are guitar tuning problems in Cold Rain which was why they left it off DP8.

Matthew Tate, rbbert and US Blues like this.
  16. US Blues

I want my Dead "Zits and all!"

Matthew Tate and bzfgt like this.
  17. US Blues

24 February 1974- Winterland. Goes well with my morning chai. btw- this is Dave's 13, for those of you who never identify the dates of what you're listening to.

Playing In The Band. Spacious = Delicious. :agree:

18. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Certainly needless hyperbole on my part, but there you have it. I wouldn't use the term bad, and I really like his work on double bass, but I find his electric playing to be hopelessly stilted and cloyingly repetitive. In fairness, I think Jerry wanted the repetitive aspect for JGB, so there's that, but there's a good reason why I almost always reach for '72-'74 King Crimson, Zappa and Grateful Dead and (almost) anything Sun Ra. Collective improvisation (of the at least semi-structured variety) is something that scratches an itch so deep that I can't really articulate how good it feels.

19. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Oh heres to my sweet Satan.
    The one whose little flag would make me sad
    Whose power is Satan
    He will give you 666
    His power is Satan

:D

rainbow dome and bzfgt like this.
  20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Garcia said once that he and John Kahn always liked the same things in music. Something I think Garcia would have never said about Lesh or Weir.

21. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Really? Where did you buy this? I'd be tempted to pick one up, the omission of Cold Rain has always bugged me.

Matthew Tate and warewolf95 like this.
  22. unravelled

23. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Oh, for God's sake. Now we're talking about the late 80s JGB in terms of "THAT bad"? Not even you, unravelled, just that it's gotten to this point. The Seals band was a really good band. But it was the Jerry Garcia showcase. And that's what was amazing about it, because Garcia was amazing. Listen to that album from 1991. He is on fire throughout, and way more than I ever heard him catch fire with pre-1978 JGB. But at least I now understand how some people could rate that stuff higher, if you're talking about the rest of the band and how assertive they were. I have always gone to JGB for a concentrated blast of Jerry. Sometimes even with the Dead I find myself listening to him rather than the keys during a keyboard solo. Listen to how his guitar roars and chirps and strains at the traces when Seals is soloing, and the beauty and power of his playing throughout:

24. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

Can anyone speak to the quality of the Brookvale DP Vinyl reissues? I am considering picking up volume 8 now that it is out... even though the completist in me is gonna go nuts wishing the other 6 they have released were on my shelf!

25. unravelled

Remastering info on DP 8 vinyl for those intetested[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

budwhite, Crispy Rob, adamos and 4 others like this.