The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

we say veranda here too, but it's a specific kind of porch. Like, my grandparents had a veranda, it was a big wraparound porch, with columns etc. They also had a porch, that was by the kitchen door, you put the trash out there.

I don't really have a porch, it's more of a stoop. Even that 30 Trips box would not be big enough to crush a stoop.

2. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere in this thread (just popping in to ask this question, gang) but... do my eyes deceive me or is the Cornell '77 5xLP box being repressed? SoundStage and Music Direct seem to make mention of such and I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't in a time warp putting me back a year ago.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Carmen Veranda,
    She lives on propaganda...

Matthew Tate and Archtop like this.
  4. US Blues

5. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Back in the day, I had a friend/colleague who was married to an Australian woman. We were at a party and I was having a conversation with her and it was really loud in the house, so she said "let's go out on the veranda." I do believe that this qualifies me to answer the question (cheeky or not). :uhhuh:

6. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

There is truth in there of course and I ain't out to change anyone's mind or anything, but as a veteran of ~50 JGB shows in the 89-95 period, I just gotta chime in that there really is some inspired playing and yes even some nice interplay between Melvin and Jerry. Not all the time, but Melvin certainly stepped up to the plate himself and hit a few long balls.

I think the JGB was best experienced in the smaller, more intimate venues (duh). Of the ~50 shows I saw, I think about 35 were at the Warfield. Of the others, only a few were in bigger GD-sized venues -- a couple at Shoreline and 1 at Oakland (10/31/92 - which was pretty fun). So, for the most part, I didn't have to experience the "Sad" part of that equation. There was nothing sad about Jerry at the Warfield.

Anyway, despite the setlist repetition, there are absolute killer performances throughout the later JGB years.

Ezzie, US Blues, Crispy Rob and 8 others like this.
  7. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

After I responded last night, everything got better and better, it was the
    perfect show to listen to (tho' i imagine most dead would have sounded
    great). I listened to almost the complete show. Fire on the Mountain
    was taking me completely. I woke up this morning and indeed did find
    that I was back in my time-worn old body. lol

Six Bachelors and Doggiedogma like this.
  8. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Never put your box set in the refrigerator...

wavethatflag likes this.
  9. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Agreed, and the latest Garcia live from Hawaii, 5/20/90 is a fine example. As.others have said many songs I've grown tired of are revived. The knocking on heavens door is a particular standout. And the harder they come is a groovetastic luau (marimba breakdown!!!)

Crispy Rob and wavethatflag like this.
  10. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I wouldn't, but why?

11. wavethatflag

The only place I ever saw the Jerry Band was the Knick Arena, which is an arena. Big. I still liked it though. Even in a place that size, it was certainly a different feel from the GD. Two Jerry Band shows on back to back East Coast tours.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  12. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

They come from the tropical equator?

13. wavethatflag

I'm like Donnie right now. I came late into the conversation and I'm out of my element.

14. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

My last music kick of the day, making it a good one.

[​IMG]

15. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Got a chance to see Bobby and Phil last night. Both of them are playing so well right now, particularly Phil. Vocals, as always, were a mixed bag, but a very enjoyable show. Anybody else catch one of these shows?

16. US Blues

Once you rest up a fuller report would be appreciated.

17. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

ianuaditis likes this.
  18. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

ianuaditis likes this.
  19. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Interesting. It may not be the best show but may very well be the best sounding. Arguable of course but I’ve never heard a copy that didn't sound really good.

bzfgt, warewolf95 and ianuaditis like this.
  20. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Tempting. It's not even in the top ten from '77, IMO, but Cornell is still a very strong show. Do I really need a super expensive vinyl pressing of it? No. But as a memento, it'd be fun to have. Plus it was cut to wax from the full 24-bit digital master, so it should sound (if your turntable/cartridge is up to snuff) at least as good as the high-res download version.

I'm guessing that the repress will be missing the limited-edition "numbering" of the first press, but who cares.

21. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Had a fantastic week reuniting with my dad in Florida. Now back to the grind.

In a few houra we will be in Long Island for some deliveries.

Unfortunately we changed trucks and i forgot the DeadPod in the other one so no Dead this trip :(

Peace guys

Christopher B, LucaB, Ezzie and 3 others like this.
  22. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

going to my old stomping grounds, eh? I live in upstate ny now but I spent most of my life in long island.

warewolf95 and US Blues like this.
  23. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grateful Dead shirt spotted. by Ryan Spivey, on Flickr

Migos playing at The Meadows.

24. US Blues

I grew up there and then left in my 20's.

25. US Blues

You say "we" like your Uncle is back on the road with you, sounds like he got over his illness.

Best of all I am glad you reunited with your father and had a good experience with him. Congratulations!

wavethatflag and warewolf95 like this.