The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Don't forget this!!

(one disc I definitely need to replace!)

ianuaditis likes this.
  2. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

If anyone would like a much longer version of those two paragraphs:

[​IMG]

3. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Oh, maybe I had it backwards and it was the ‘66 show that was mislabeled. Whoops. Sorry.

ianuaditis likes this.
  4. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

This is how I always thought of it. I had these discussions in college. I think anyone who really thinks about these things is at least in the ballpark of the above two paragraphs.

5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

4/13/83 for me today, the Hunter Seamons matrix on the archive. Fine second set with an excellent Scarlet->Fire. 1983 generally being a very good vintage for that combo.

adamos, budwhite, bzfgt and 1 other person like this.
  6. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

Currently playing "Day of The Dead" 3/19/77. Estimated followed by Terrapin > Playing > Samson > Playing!... and that's just set 1? How could this not be great is what I'M thinking to myself...

adamos, Panama Hotel and Crispy Rob like this.
  7. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Phew, that Jack Straw is reaching for the fences and it gets there. Those chord scrubs and revoicings that Jerry is doing from 3:50 to ~4:30 are really challenging and he pulls that off like making a bologna sandwich at halftime during a preseason game. More evidence of someone who has totally mastered their instrument.

Well, TMNS rips the covers off of everything as well. Just FYI...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  8. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

9. wavethatflag

I'm listening to the palindrome album, CD/bonus tracks version.

I'm trying to take off w/o a huge time commitment. I don't wanna do the work, man.
    [​IMG]
    Pretty colors.

Down to the jewelry store packing a gun,
    Says "Wrap it up. I think I'll take this one"
    "A thousand dollars please, " the jewelry man said
    Dupree he said, "I'll pay this one off to you in lead"

It ain't all Sunshine Daydream and dancing bears, folks.

"Rosemary," there's one I've never seen in a set list. Although Phil would have played this during his Warfield early albums in order run. Not sure if I saw that show.

We can be thankful they dropped the "China Cat" refrain for the live show.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  10. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

No, it wasn't. I remember hoping for a "Rosemary" or "What's Become of the Baby" bust-out but it never (in retrospect, good, I guess) happened. Rosemary is one of my favorite tracks of all time.

hyde park, Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  11. wavethatflag

He must have played it because they did "What's Become Of The Baby." I was there because I remember that tune. I don't specifically recall "Rosemary." I'm talking about Phil & Friends, not the Dead.

Someone needs to check the Phil setlists from his Warfield GD album run.

Archtop and ianuaditis like this.
  12. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Bellarmine College, 12-7-68 (Louisville KY)

Dark Star>St. Stephen>The Eleven Jam>Death Don't Have no Mercy //Cryptical>//Other One>Cryptical>New Potato Caboose, Rosemary, He was a Friend of Mine, Hurts Me Too, Morning Dew>We Bid You Goodnight.

www.archive.org/details/gd1968-12-07.sbd.miller.88674.sbeok.flac16

Sound is weird and there are cuts, but not in Rosemary.

13. wavethatflag

This is what I saw on May 14, 2008 at the Warfield:

Set 1 (Aoxomoxoa): St. Stephen> Dupree's Diamond Blues, *Rosemary, Doin' That Rag, Mountains Of The Moon, China Cat Sunflower, *What's Become Of The Baby, Cosmic Charlie

Set 2 with Mark Karan (Live/Dead): Dark Star> St. Stephen> The Eleven> Turn On Your Lovelight> Death Don't Have No Mercy> Feedback> And We Bid You Goodnight ...Donor Rap/Intros E: I'm A King Bee

*with Teresa Williams on vocals

Band: Phil Lesh (bass, vocals), John Molo (drums), Jackie Greene (guitar, vocals), Larry Campbell (guitar+), Steve Molitz (keys)

MOLO!

Edit: And then on the 17th:

Set 1 (Skull****): Bertha, Mama Tried, Big Railroad Blues, Playing In The Band, The Other One, Me & My Uncle, Big Boss Man, Me & Bobby McGee, Johnny B. Goode, Wharf Rat, Not Fade Away> Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad

Set 2 (Dead Set): Samson and Delilah, Friend Of The Devil, New Minglewood Blues, Deal, Candyman, Little Red Rooster, Loser, Passenger, Feel Like A Stranger, Franklin's Tower

Set 3 with Henry Kaiser on guitar: Donor Rap, *Rhythm Devils, *Fire On The Mountain, Greatest Story Ever Told, Brokedown Palace, Band Intros

*with Sikiru Adepoju on talking drum, started as a duet with Molo then eventually became the full band

Band: Phil Lesh (bass, vocals), John Molo (drums), Jackie Greene (guitar, vocals), Larry Campbell (guitar+), Steve Molitz (keys)

I can't believe 2008 has become the old days. Jeez ... It's moments like this when these lyrics are thrown into grand relief:

The wheel is turning and you can't slow down,
    You can't let go and you can't hold on,
    You can't go back and you can't stand still,
    If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will.

The cool thing about that album run is that it wasn't announced, but after show 1 the local 'heads were abuzz with news. I bought the tickets at the last minute.

14. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Today I re-visited Go to Nassau, Disc 1, after many many years. I'm really a 1968-1974 fan, and like a good deal of 1975-1978, then it falls off for me. However, this combination of a couple of 1980 shows at Nassau coliseum really has some great playing and a real zip in the playing. It's making me want to investigate 1980 a bit more.

[​IMG]

Mansley, Crispy Rob, KeninDC and 8 others like this.
  15. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

"Rosemary" circa 2014:

wavethatflag, US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  16. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Good day for a box announcement I think.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally, Spring is on the corner.

Sun is getting warmer but it's still below freezing on most days and we have 40cm snow on the ground.

17. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Phil & Friends did two shows at the Denver Fillmore prepping for that Warfield run, two of the best Phil shows I witnessed. No utterly strange songs, but we did get a fine reading of New Potato Caboose.

I saw What's Become of the Baby performed by Furthur at Radio City in 2012 or so- that was genuinely strange.

notesofachord, trd and wavethatflag like this.
  18. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

There was some Throwing Stones conversation earlier, I can recommend 10/15/83. Comes out of St. Stephen, has a unique brief jam in the solo section, and Bobby’s having a good time.

Crispy Rob, wavethatflag and trd like this.
  19. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

20. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

OK not sure why I'm doing this but I find myself in a 1992 "deep dive" so to speak. Listened to several JGB shows, and now for a change of pace, 6/6/92 at Rich Stadium. First official show of Summer Tour although they had just played a good Vegas run the previous weekend, so they had some momentum.

Overall Jerry and the band seem on to me. Songs are well played and Jerry is singing loud and clear - hardly a mumble or forgotten lyric. Jams don't get very "out there" but it's a still a long show, clocking in at around 2:40. Good He's Gone before drums and a weird Spanish-ish jam out of Space into TOO...

I: Touch Of Grey> Greatest Story Ever Told, Althea, It's All Over Now, Friend Of The Devil, When I Paint My Masterpiece, Ramble On Rose, Let It Grow

II: Iko Iko, Estimated Prophet> The Same Thing, He's Gone> Drums> Space> The Other One> The Wheel> Throwing Stones> One More Saturday Night

E: Baba O'Riley> Tomorrow Never Knows

(Steve Miller Band opened)

NorCal, wavethatflag and adamos like this.
  21. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Regarding Summer '92 - I thought the 1st night at Soldier Field was a fun, good show. I had a ticket for the 2nd night, too - but I made the dumb mistake of leaving my ticket in my buddy's car (for safe keeping, or course) - I was out wandering around in the lot, mingling and when I went back to the car - my friends already went into the show and my ticket was in the trunk. Thought briefly of trying to get it out, but I didn't want to mess up his car. Had a enjoyable night in the lot. My friends came out and asked what happen to me - told them and they all shook their heads and laughed --- "always keep your ticket on you" one said and I have ever since...

They all tried to bring up my spirits by saying the 1st night was much better.

22. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Wrapping up JRAD 1/12/18 this morning. Set 2 starts with one of my favorite folk covers - Rosa Lee McFall. These days I may listen to just as much JRAD as I do the Dead. Can't get enough of either!

23. snigglefritz

snigglefritz Forum Resident

24. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Decided to keep up with '85 after the Greek run, following the band over to Alpine Valley. They'd come to have some truly memorable evenings in this very venue, but it doesn't feel like 06/21/85 is going to land near the top. My brief listening notes:

Fresh off the Greek 20th Anniversary run, the band moves on to Alpine Valley, a site that will come to be associated with many fine show memories for Midwestern Heads. It starts off promisingly enough, with a hot “Cold Rain and Snow”, though loses momentum fairly quickly with tonight’s blues showcase, a Willie Dixon two-fer of “Down in the Bottom / Ain’t Superstitious” that never really smooths out. “Stagger Lee” straightens the ship a little more, Jerry does a decent job. “Mama Tried > Mexicali” gives us our cowboy boost for the set, neither of them are going to trouble best ever versions. “Bird Song” stumbles as well, with some major Jerry vocal flubs, though a “Looks Like Rain” helps the band bounce back a little bit. And, meh, “Day Job” gets picked to close out a pretty lackluster first set.

Fortunately the second set fares much better. I’m not typically a “Women Are Smarter” fan, but the pairing here with “GDTRFB” makes for a high energy start to the set. From there we get to pretty nice “Estimated > Eyes” that hits a nice vibe despite not being amazing versions. The “Drums” works well coming out of “Eyes”, but the “Space” is even better - hitting some really beautiful melodies that eventually bring us back around into “Truckin”. For ‘85, it’s not a bad little run there. “Black Peter” gets the post- “D/S” ballad slot and it’s a song I always like, but this one doesn’t really reach the heights I’d like to hear. “Around and Around” is energetic, even with Bobby swallowing the lyrics at one point. And we get a “Sugar Mags” to close the set, with “Baby Blue” in the encore spot.

The distance between the two sets is pretty glaring, but the second set hits some nice highs. They’d come to have much better nights at Alpine in the years to follow though.

Mansley, adamos, bzfgt and 5 others like this.
  25. Grateful Griller

Grateful Griller Forum Resident

If you haven't, check out Dave's Picks 8 (11/30/80 Fox Theater). Is outstanding. I'm not a fan of much past '78 either but is an incredible show. The Scarlet>Fire gets a lot of attention but I really like the Loser, Deal and Bird Song as well. I think i've read that Dave used a matrix for this pick but regardless it sounds full and clear.