The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Those 5 minute Eyes could be something. The shows pick up worthiness around 6/24 on through Merriweather.

2. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Bob Wagner's audience recording.

3. trd

trd Forum Resident

Keep following that tour East!

4. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Too bad it costs much to much to buy
    I’m debating internally how much I’m willing to pay for Dave’s 9 (5/14/74). That set is going for ~$150 if I’m lucky and Dave’s 8 isn’t any cheaper. If I’m gonna spring big bucks I’m going for the 74 show every time!!

5. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Wow.

[​IMG]

US Blues and wavethatflag like this.
  6. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I think I'm going to do just that. It's a year I've never spent much time in, so it makes sense. I was originally planning to just do the Greek run, but I'll keep at it.

Crispy Rob, trd, bzfgt and 1 other person like this.
  7. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

I'm sure this wasn't the first, or last time, but reading this immediately brought the experience of the first night of the Music Hall Run in Boston, 11/30/73 to mind. It was the break on Jack Straw where Jerry's notes totally jumped out of the speakers and formed a 3D visual presentation for me. It was an absolutely mind blowing experience and certain exactly what Bear was talking about. In other words, while not necessary to state but feel compelled to add, I get it ;-)

-Zafu

8. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

SPAC has my favorite Black Peter, and that's one song that has never grabbed me.

Crispy Rob and wavethatflag like this.
  9. Grateful Griller

Grateful Griller Forum Resident

I hear you. 5/14/74 is a great show for sure and would be my pick between the two.
    I picked up DP8 a couple years ago on eBay for $75 which I felt was pricey at the time. Also paid over $100 for DP 5 11.17.73 at Pauley Pavilion which goes for a ton now. And the Mosque...forget about it. Good luck!

SBegonias17 and Crispy Rob like this.
  10. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Where's @bzfgt? When I logged in today I got a message saying custom title was available once you hit 100 posts now, and I see a few already showing up, so I suppose you can be 'New Member' again.

Meanwhile I was listening to some mystery tapes in the car, and one of them turned out to be my Hundred Year Hall/DP 1 mix, and I realized my current 'entire year' listening program was leading me to miss out on that 72-74 spaced out craziness, so last night I put on 2-9-73. Of course I fell asleep sometime between Truckin' and Eyes of the World, so I'm starting over from there today.

11. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I assume you're talking about 85? It took the version from the GD Movie soundtrack and one of the Spring 90 versions (3/14/90) to really get into that song. The big difference on those is that Phil really swings. (Multitracks probably help too.) If anyone is looking for some accessible versions to check out, I'd recommend both of these.

SBegonias17, Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  12. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Got one.

13. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I want to say that 1981 is a good year for that song, though I no longer remember the details of when and where.

14. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I'm a big fan of this and Stella, which is a minority position in the Dead Parliament.

15. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I think Black Peter is one song in particular that benefited from Brent's Hammond.

16. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Really good Garcia vocals on this Black Peter.

17. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I love the organ on the original, so I think I agree with this.

It's a tune I didn't really get behind until I heard a lot of the versions from 1969 (which have TC,) then I really came around to it (which is good because they really flogged it in 78 (and to a lesser extent 83.)

bzfgt likes this.
  18. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Do you not like it otherwise? Brent was a shot in the arm, in a good way, I think.

19. budwhite

Black Peter is as you know...slow, but I love Garcia's slow songs, especially when he nails the vocals! Like on this version. And yeah, it got Brent playing B3

adamos, Crispy Rob, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  20. budwhite

The last two min are fantastic!
    Mix the damn multitracks already :pleased:

21. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Black Peter. 14 April 1978- Virginia Polytechnic Institute, Blacksburg, Virginia. :agree:

22. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Garcia should have brought Brent with him on tour instead of Ozzie :D

bzfgt likes this.
  23. snigglefritz

snigglefritz Forum Resident

Yes, that one is very nice. I live in NC and saw at least one show (usually a lot more) on every spring tour from 1980 to 1995. I have a special fondness for Black Peter as it always resonated when Jerry sang "the weather down here, so fine" because it usually corresponded with some of the first nice, warm spring days of the year. It was frequently one of those synchronicities, you know?

trd, adamos, SBegonias17 and 6 others like this.
  24. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

I don't think 5/14/74 is that great. Most other May 74 shows are better. It's probably the 2nd weakest Dark Star of the year after 7/25/74.

SBegonias17 and dgwint like this.
  25. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

I love June, 85 so much. The Merriweather show on 6/30 being my favorite with a monster Shakedown. One mystery I can't solve. Does anyone remember which tape has the drums and space with the missile sound effects that simulate the sound of a nuclear war?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    trd, Crispy Rob, bzfgt and 1 other person like this.