The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Usually, "That's It For The Other One" refers to the medley of Garcia's "he had to die" song and Weir's "Spanish lady" song, while "The Other One" is only the Weir song.

2. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Where's the Quadlibet for Tenderfeet?

Oh.

ianuaditis likes this.
  3. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

The Bergensers are a tribe of their own, more German (google the Hanseatic League) than Norwegian. Beautiful city and such. Lots of pretty girls and Black Metal too :D I think they pronounce it more like 'nydeleg', if I was the difficult kind...

Ah, KOK, the second man in the history of litterature that wrote an overlong, semi-autobiographic book about his struggle under that title :biglaugh:

4. BurtThomasWard

Hello, boys. I'm back. Either from prison or a wild vacation. Same difference, eh.

Any box set rumours?

NorCal, Billy_Sunday, bzfgt and 7 others like this.
  5. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

This show is almost always top 3 of the year for me, and often takes number 1.

My fav HC Sunshine...

NorCal, ianuaditis and SBegonias17 like this.
  6. BurtThomasWard

Then again I never claimed it to be anything other than lovely :D

And intrepid is more than grand for a "TOO" or maybe even a "Fade">something>"Fade" sandwich, but I prefer my folksy ballads straight, no chaser, mr. Arch. Then again I was always the traditionalist...

Billy_Sunday and Archtop like this.
  7. BurtThomasWard

Wow, Steve really let himself go :shake:

Crispy Rob, ianuaditis and trd like this.
  8. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

I’m starting to give up on a box set. I’m sure it’s coming but i keep waking up thinking “oh maybe today...” it’s giving me anxiety

9. BurtThomasWard

Yeah, I was thinking about this a lot 'when I was away'. What if it is something truely iconic and limited and I have to resort to eBay or worse to fill that gaping void in my soul. Shudder to think...

But seriously, could we please get something primal and wild this time around? We've been good boys after all.

10. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Dave's Pick Vol. 14 (3/26/72)

Playing In The Band

Set the start time for this track to 2:41.95 and the end time to 10:04.

Set to single track repeat and press play.

Buckle up!

11. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Shortest Prison Sentence I’ve heard of

I vote your local County Jail:)

notesofachord, bzfgt and US Blues like this.
  12. BurtThomasWard

We are pretty lax on the punishment side of things here in the North. It is just supposed to make you see the error of your ways and such ;)

Edit: but it is very nice to log onto the Hof for the first time in some weeks and get 97 notifications. Granted, a lot of them were 'Trophies'. What gives???

SBegonias17 and ianuaditis like this.
  13. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I stayed away from his series for a long time because of that title, but after reading through the first couple volumes the title makes sense - it's all about his struggle with wanting to produce a lasting piece of Art and how his real life fights against that. I know they changed the title in many countries, understandably so, but I don't mind this one existing even if it only serves to push the predecessor work further down search results. :winkgrin:

To the subject of the GOGD, I listened to the first set of June 24, 1985 this morning, It's fantastic, Jerry especially is in killer form. Lyrically not so much, but his guitar playing more than makes up for it. Can't wait to hit the second set tonight. Also, I hadn't realized this is from the porch crusher until this morning.

Crispy Rob and BurtThomasWard like this.
  14. BurtThomasWard

Well, it doesn't hurt that he is a much better writer than the earlier one was (well, technically that was Hess doing most of the writing and the other one doing most of the ranting, but if your name is on the cover, you that gets both the blame and the 'glory'). I found KOK's whole project interesting. Not least it created an enormous amount of tension and drama over here because of the way he blends actual people and situations with fabrications and wild claims. The tabloids had a field day that lasted for years and our guy was basking in the searchlight of attention like a dog with a brand new bone.

However, I do find the books a bit tedious. Well-written, at times harrowing and tragi-comic as well, but there are too many damned words there.

And to pretend that I'm on topic for the first time today, I shall continue my journey thru that porchy thingie later this afternoon.

15. GuidedByJonO)))

Oh absolutely, there are moments of tedium. Lots of them in fact. But I'm still kinda baffled that I want to keep reading more. Even after the fifth description of a trip to the grocery store, there's still something almost hypnotic about it. I'm only two volumes in, the final still doesn't get published over here until this summer, so I haven't really gotten to the parts where it gets really meta and he writes about the impacts of real life.

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  16. BurtThomasWard

No wonder you like Sunn O)), man ;)

The meta stuff was my favorite. And not, if you get my drift. Because those are the most painful to read and I ended up finding him a very dislikable character (hah) even if it also takes some courage the nail yourself to the cross like that. He has got some sort of complex, that's for sure. Be it Messianic or just wanting to be the big Dic(tater).

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  17. GuidedByJonO)))

Haha. Fair call. He's definitely an unlikable guy, but every now and then he hits on something universal about how humans battle art versus life, which I find really compelling. I'm also enjoying it to learn more about culture in Sweden and Norway in general.

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  18. BurtThomasWard

Indeed. There's no contradiction in those terms, rather a lot of proof to the opposite (Miles Davis, Jerry, that guy that directed that movie, etc). Most great writers or artists aren't exactly people you'd want to hang around but they can show us sides of ourselves that we perhaps wouldn't embrace if somebody else didn't go there first.

Not me, of course, since I'm mentally disturbed but the sane and the good amongst ye ;)

19. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

JRM, US Blues and trd like this.
  20. trd

trd Forum Resident

I'll be seeing them at TXR on Saturday. Looking forward to it. Have no real expectations but have a good friend in town and figured we can't go wrong with that lineup.

budwhite, US Blues and Billy_Sunday like this.
  21. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Intriguing band, two women playing significant roles is a nice evolution.

JRM and trd like this.
  22. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Just for the heck of it here is a photo I took of the boys at my first GD show, Glens Falls, NY 8/31/79. First Sailor/Saint (and first Saint period) performed this night.

LucaB, Mansley, Billy_Sunday and 21 others like this.
  23. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

24. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

It's well before we leave the castle.

Billy_Sunday, Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  25. jpgarry1

jpgarry1 Forum Resident

Bill, I was at that show too! Headed up to Holleder Stadium driving all night for the show the next day. Interesting they played Sailor/Saint both days. Can't remember too many shows where they played that sequence two days in a row. I guess since they were recording Go to Heaven at the time they were breaking out those songs. Thanks for the pic!