The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

The 1970 show in 30 Trips is a gem so it’s not that one. P.S. I’ll second your ESPY nomination...

Crispy Rob and wavethatflag like this.
  2. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Home alone for a couple hours after a busy work day, so I’ve cracked a cold one and put on 9/24/72 Waterbury, the aforementioned porch crusher version. I’ve been mostly playing non-Dead the last several days which always makes a return home sound even sweeter.

3. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

The Dark Star->St Stephen on Live/Dead is from this show. On Live/Dead it fades in, but in the actual show there is a stunning transition from Mountains of the Moon into Dark Star. One of those truly transcendent moments in Dead history. Jerry solos on acoustic for a bit, then you can hear him strumming as he moves away from the mic while Phil and Bob carry on, then he comes back with the electric and moves into the Star. ~46:40 mark (or 43:40 to start Mountains)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  4. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I Need a Miracle is the best thing here, really.

ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  5. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Dave’s 11 (11/17/72)

First spin on the new car stereo

Now *this* is great sounding recording. Even MAMU has me hanging on every note. Jerry is GOD on Birdsong. Or playing like that guy might have played if he was a guitar player...:)

Mansley, Ezzie, hyde park and 7 others like this.
  6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

On some days I would say Drums is the best part. It's a good one.

wavethatflag likes this.
  7. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

It's definitely the best Miracle ever. I could listen to Lee Oskar play nursery rhymes on his harp, but he's just kinda in the way on this night. Matthew Kelly fares better, largely because Lee was trippin' hard. Not sure he knew what he was getting into that night. I think the family members were better prepared.

Somebody posted about the Good Lovin' from 4/17/71. Not sure I needed 6 minutes of drums, but the post-drums jam is awesome. That sweet spring 71 tone from Jerry. Spring 71>>>Fall 71. There. I said it. :tiphat:

You *did* make a copy for the car, didn't you? :D

Ezzie, Crispy Rob, budwhite and 5 others like this.
  8. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Had a gorgeous but hectic day driving around Texas.

In Abilene right now about to head for an oil field in New Mexico.

From there we get a load in El Paso going to.....New Hampshire (oh goody).

At least im seeing Todd and Utopia in Atlanta this coming weekend :)

In the meantime, both shows from Dicks Picks 25 were my poisons of choice today.

I know my reviewa say different, but neither 5 10 or 5 11 78 came off that well to me today.

A definite case of "truck ears" ;)

That being said, lots of great moments between them.

Anyone mind elaborating on the Bear vs Betty aspect though? I didn't really much of a difference at all.

9. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

No of course not:(

warewolf95 and US Blues like this.
  10. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I think I agree with you, but the 1/15/79 Miracle (including the gorgeous, intense descent through purgatory and then back up above heaven into Shakedown, which annihilates the 12/31/78 transition to Terrapin and sometimes the transition is what suddenly makes the improv all that much better, don'tcha know) is on line 2. I told it that you were out to lunch but it didn't take no for an answer. :nyah:

Speaking of good stuff, I've long been fascinated by the oddly complex intro to the studio version of Friend of the Devil (the only version I can really stomach, to be honest). I've long thought that it's Jerry playing the simple, descending scalar line and it's Bobby playing the more complex melody. And then Phil comes in and it gets all sorts of caterwampus yet still very constructed. Any agreement/dissenting opinions?

Ezzie, KCWhistle, US Blues and 3 others like this.
  11. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

4/15/70, 30 Trips. I'm a big fan of CR&S* as an opener. Also really psyched to see a first set "Technical Difficulties."

*Cold Rain and Snow.

Mansley, adamos, Matthew Tate and 9 others like this.
  12. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

When the set was announced (or released, I don't recall which), there was more than one post espousing the interesting choice of 4:11 of Technical Difficulties. I guess they take this full show mentality pretty seriously. Imagine if the inclusion of that had resulted in a re-arrangement of the track order. Oh, we'd have anarchy. Attica! Attica! Attica!

Mansley, Ezzie, DrLunchbox and 10 others like this.
  13. wavethatflag

All kidding aside, well, most kidding aside, it would be a shame to put out a box of 30 years of shows and not have a technical difficulties segment. It goes with the warts and all and without a net aesthetics. And long strange trip aesthetic. And the if the thunder don't get you the lightning will aesthetic.

Mansley, Ezzie, DrLunchbox and 8 others like this.
  14. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

The only good thing about tracking things that aren't songs is I delete them as soon as I download a show, rather than having to hear them tacked on to song tracks.

15. wavethatflag

I have a friend that hates when they take tuning and banter out of official releases.

16. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Well, if he really, I mean reeeeeeeallly, was that bothered - he could "patch in" the tuning/banter from the unofficial sources and make his own CDr version (or playlist version) that more accurately flowed like the concert experience.

17. wavethatflag

This is exactly what he does. He also owns a Mu-Tron which probably isn't surprising.

edit: 4/15/70 "Candyman" sounds like a rehearsal. I'm not complaining, just observating.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Archtop likes this.
  18. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Oh yeah!!

[​IMG]

ducksdeluxe and Crispy Rob like this.
  19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Good choices.

SBegonias17 and ianuaditis like this.
  20. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Just want to say that I have missed talking about the GOGD with fellow deads, it's always a delight exploring this band's music.

Ezzie, NorCal, adamos and 4 others like this.
  21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The ‘70 show has an amazing jam and was one of the best surprises in the box. The ‘71 show isn’t bad, but doesn’t really stand out much - a very average show for ‘71, although a very average show in a fine overall year is still GD worth hearing.

22. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Back when my friends and I discovered that version circa late ‘89 we thought of it as Jerry getting his Jimmy Page on. It is definitely a unique (and awesome, obviously) version.

23. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Unless you are talking about me already, you have at least two friends that hate that.

24. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

It's interesting the 5 cd release The Grateful Dead Movie Soundtrack isn't available to stream on Tidal, iTunes, Spotify, and perhaps every other streaming service. That is a big reason I bought a physical copy of the release a few days ago.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  25. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Most boxes aren't available for streaming. But Dick's Picks and the Europe '72 shows are. And so Many roads. So I don't really know their reasoning

Matthew Tate likes this.