The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

$$$$$$

warewolf95 likes this.
  2. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

It surprises me that folks don't check Discogs or Ebay before they price their stuff. It could be that they were aware of the online prices, but just wanted a quick, "fair" sale to someone local. While that's unlikely (it's more likely that they don't look up the prices online - which is dumb if you're in the flipping game), it'd be very cool if true.

warewolf95 likes this.
  3. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Hes right you know.

ianuaditis and warewolf95 like this.
  4. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Ugh the place was a nightmare.

That being said we should be aroubd the Nashville area early tomorrow evening. Probably gonna hit that 78 Daves tomorrow. That was a good one. :)

Now for some Weezer to finish off my night....

5. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Whats with this trucker
    Killing my fence
    Where did he learn to driiive
    Deedle deedle doooo

;). Sorry, couldnt help it.

ianuaditis and warewolf95 like this.
  6. warewolf95

Bring it on! :)

It was the worlds dumbest mistake on my part. I seem to have a problem not stopping soon enougj on reverse. I swear i go through a set of mudflaps a week.

Ezzie likes this.
  7. warewolf95

Jist spun this great set 2 days ago. :)

Ezzie and ianuaditis like this.
  8. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Man I dont think I could ever drive one of them
    Big rigs. We had to put a ton of equpiment in a truck and I told my boss no way in hell am I driving that thing. I’m not about to take out someones Tesla.

warewolf95 likes this.
  9. warewolf95

ROFLMAO i love being a menace and blocking entitled sports car and pickup truck drivera from passing me jist because they think they can go 50 over the limit without consequence. ;)

Ezzie, budwhite and US Blues like this.
  10. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Oh, so you're the truck driver sitting in the left lane of a 2 lane Interstate who thinks that it's OK to pass your trucker buddy while going uphill at altitude with a full load! :cussing:

11. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I trust you are referring to El Paso (the town, not the song).

Ezzie, warewolf95 and Six Bachelors like this.
  12. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

With his left blinker on, no doubt. :nyah: Sorry to hear of your troubles, warewolf.

warewolf95 likes this.
  13. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I was kicking around Youtube and found this (looks like 85 or so?)

14. ianuaditis

Last night I listened to 3-28-73, which is Dave's Picks 16. Overall I think this show was not quite as good as a couple of the others of this tour, but it was a great tour, so that's not really much of a demerit. And the set 2 jam was a long Dark Star>Eyes>Playin' in the Band, certainly one of the most ambitious of the year to date, if not as inventive as the set from Philly a few days back. Plenty of nice little highlights, as in any show from this era, but I think wedging what was usually the big set 1 jam into set 2 left the opening frame somewhat bereft.

Then it was 1-28-87 at the SF Civic Auditorium.

I don't know if it's because it's only the 8th show back from the coma, but this is really rusty and easily the worst GD show I've listened to over the last 6 months, out of at least 300 or more, in terms of general sloppiness and flubs. I expect a few of these, and I could forgive Garcia for not having recovered the mental capacity to remember all those lyrics so soon after the coma, but Weir is guilty as well, on tunes like All Over Now and Around and Around that he had literally performed hundreds of times by then, (even if it had been a few months.) And whatever key they played Get Back in, they probably should've transposed it down a few steps, Weir could not hit the notes. (still that was kind of fun, and I'd call it a highlight of this show.)

There are certainly others, during Bird Song for a minute I was sure it was Dark Star, and the soloing throughout was mostly crisp and well-taken. But overall it seemed like a really off night, especially on the lyrics and singing.

Stark contrast to 91, where even if it doesn't all 'click' at least up to May the band has been mostly on point.

15. ianuaditis

There are a few shows where they get a bit giggly on the mics. There was another in Springfield, 74 I think, where Donna in particular seems to find Weir quite hilarious.

16. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Early 1987 is really no treat. I went to the 3/1, 3/2, 3/3 run and it was definitely below par. Stranger on 3/2 almost fall apart before Garcia takes the bull by the horns.

Tonight it's been Aarhus 4/16/72 Truckin>some serious noodling>The Other One>MAMU>TOO, and now one of my old standbys before I hit it-1/20/68. Clementine>New Potato Caboose>Born Crosseyed> Spanish Jam. I hope they empty the vault of anything remaining from 1968 this year.

17. warewolf95

Even im not that rude ;)

18. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Well, possibly because I was at this show (and Long Island, Rochester, Buffalo & Boston), but it's one of my favorite Dave's Picks releases. I personally don't think Philly is even close, but I'm so emotionally attached to this night it's hard to know where the great playing stops and my joy of being zapped right back 20 feet in front of the stage dosed and blissed-out ends.

Buffalo a few days later was also a ton of fun. First time we heard Truckin > OtherOne > Rider. I've posted before about this tour but will just say there was a part in Truckin (I'll have to listen and see if I can possibly find it) but Jerry did a riff that was unusual, highly creative and cool... so much so that at the same time I had my own definite reaction to it, Donna did too.. she was facing the audience and then as that riff finished she turned to Jerry and he just smiled at her and shrugged like "I have no idea where that came from" sort of look. Ok, you had to be there but this was not a hallucination and maybe you had to be there, but it was obvious. I was very close that night, maybe like 15 feet center from stage.

Of course, the Boston Garden 4/2/73 release I was begging a long time for is also a huge one for me, but honestly, there's something about that Springfield 3/28 that makes me listen to it even more often.

You're right, of course. It was an incredible tour; incredible year.

Oh, and you ever notice at the Philly show you've referenced during Stella Blue, instead of Jerry singing "Dust off those rusty strings just one last time.... gonna make em shine".... he says something like "can't stop from crying" instead of gonna make em shine? Pig Pen passed away on March 8th, which I can't help but believe those feelings were raw and driving that change of lyric in the moment.

Peace -Zafu

19. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Set II, 7/18/76. Been a long time since I was so thoroughly pleased end-to-end with a Dead set.

And the small moment of zen that is Phil's bass flourish out of Drums into The Other One on 7/17.

20. ianuaditis

I hadn't noticed that about Philly's Stella Blue, though I did star it, meaning that I thought it was a good version. I usually sit with my notes nearby, but sometimes I have to get up and do something, so I must have missed that. It's the kind of thing I typically write down. They also did Sing Me Back Home at that show for the first time since Pigpen's passing.

Having listened to the entire tour, (at least as far as Springfield,) I'd say it's close to what they did the previous spring, where each show has a lot to recommend it and even the little touches add up to a lot. For instance, I thought the solo on Looks Like Rain from Springfield was outstanding - I wrote 'Garcia's singing Dolly Parton on his guitar.' Around and Around from that first set also had an excellent solo, and I love the way they did Row Jimmy in this period. I'm just partial to the spacier jams, and this was the first (and, looking ahead, only) show of the tour that they did not end set 1 with Playin' in the Band. Previous first sets on the tour had either Bird Song, China Cat>I know you Rider, Here comes Sunshine, (sometimes all three) in addition to Playin,' whereas in Springfield they kept Here Comes Sunshine pretty short, didn't do Bird Song, and left Playin' for set 2. Nothing wrong with changing it up now and then, of course.

When it comes to the jams, what differentiated Philly from Springfield (both shows I've heard before) is in Philly they started from Truckin' and ended up in the middle of nowhere, so it was a completely off the cuff jam that eventually built into the Spanish jam, before another 'what the heck is this' spot leading to a truly bizarre mini Dark Star that I'm still not sure is real. In Springfield they followed a more standard pathway in Dark Star>Eyes, if such a thing can be standard, though the emergence of Playin' was certainly a curveball and not standard at all.

Of course, the performance is the thing. I do really appreciate 3-28-73, (I think you and I have actually talked about that here at one point,) and when I say 'Philly was more inventive' I just mean that in Philly they were also (mostly) improvising the form itself, whereas in Springfield they were working within an existing (though occasionally itself formless) form.

21. RueBourbon76

RueBourbon76 Forum Resident

1978 might be the most underrated in GD history. ?..
    Oh, that's true. I observed a a very good used copy of Dave's Picks 13 on sale for 25.00 dollars back in January. That set fetches somewhere between $80.00 and 110.00 dollars but the seller didn't know or care.

22. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

23. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I perceive "noodling" as a pejorative, and that section is just great (my understanding is that Jerry drops out for a string change, although I don't remember where I read that), so I've got this segment (plus following material) labeled as follows:

Truckin'-->
    The Odder One Jam--> Phil Occupies the Universe-->
    The Other One-->
    Me And My Uncle-->
    The Other One-->
    Not Fade Away-->
    Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad-->
    Not Fade Away

Certainly one of the most overlooked jam segments in their vast catalog (although we've brought it up more than a few times, folks, so maybe it isn't any longer).

24. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Amen, brother!

25. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

You shouldn't. I have a very different perspective of this music than you. C'est ca.

warewolf95, Ezzie, ianuaditis and 2 others like this.