The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Very.

Tuck1977 likes this.
  2. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

ordered the DeadBase 50 at 50% off last night. I have the kindle version already but I just couldn’t help myself.

Going to have to splurge for the RSD Fillmore vinyl. My wife is probably going to kill me.

Continuing my E72 anniversary voyage. Jumped ahead to Frankfurt 100 year Hall 4/26/72. Discs 3 & 4 are ridiculous. The other one and that Lovelight might be the best I’ve ever heard. The zenith? Oh my, I’m floored once again.

3. NorCal

NorCal Forum Resident

I may have missed it on this thread, but Amazon shows a July 13 release date for the 50th Anniversary edition of Anthem of the Sun. I see a 2 cd edition and a 12” picture disc.

Anyone have any details?

4. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Just speculation as to what that 2nd disc may contain.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. John69

John69 Forum Resident

Ray29 likes this.
  6. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

But its the same mix as the Fillmore Box which is an entirely different mix than Live/Dead isn’t it?

Seems like they are both needed...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Loser is in my top ten for certain.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  8. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Fun archival footage... Garcia & Grisman

Skip ahead to 15:20 ... it's like Jerry is first turning David on to Shady Grove

-Zafu

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    nitsuj, Joshua Slack and SOONERFAN like this.
  9. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Last disc of the GD Movie soundtrack from 10/20 has Mickey returning. The Playing in the Band is great, and it sounds in many ways like it could be any late era version. It's likely largely due to the quality of the recording. Or "stuff," so to speak. But, however, the rest of the set is kind of sloppy, and probably tired. The missed cues in NFA are a bit telling of the rustiness of the new addition, who is ifteo just in the way. Ah hell. This is often a sad moment for me at the end of the run. Never again the Lone Drummer.

budwhite, bzfgt and KCWhistle like this.
  10. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I believe Dark Star and St. Stephen are the same performances as Live/Dead but The Eleven and TOYL are not? Sorry if this had been discussed already, the size of this thread is daunting.

SBegonias17 and ianuaditis like this.
  11. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

A “W7” original vinyl copy is definitely needed.

nitsuj likes this.
  12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That’s probably what my tombstone epitaph should say.

13. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Spending the weekend relaxing, reluctantly, at a nice truck stop in Hooksett NH.

Got here last night (Friday).

First load delivers tomorrow and the 2nd on Tuesday.

So that means no Dead til tuesday (pun intended) . peace boys
    :)

US Blues likes this.
  14. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I didn't mean to suggest which one was the lesser evil. Given the choice between those two colors, I will probably choose red most times.

That said, @bzfgt, maybe you are below the age cutoff, but it seems that every male I've met of a certain age from the NYC metro area is/was a fan of Joel. People around my father's age.

That's correct. 1-26-69 at the Avalon was the source for the second half of the suite, and Death Don't Have No Mercy and the rest come from another of the Fillmore West dates (I want to say 3-1.)

budwhite and warewolf95 like this.
  15. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

3/2 according to dead disc.

US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I have a cream WB label Live Dead I bought in 1988. Sounds great, although it is possible a W7 would be even better.

warewolf95 likes this.
  17. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

How old's your old man? I'm almost 50...

warewolf95 likes this.
  18. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

My wife again put on disc 2 from Dave’s Picks 12 to hear Playing>Eyes>Estimated>TOO>Drums>Iko Iko>Stella Blue>Playing

Not sure she gets the sandwich thing completely as she seems surprised when seemingly an hour later they play her song again

19. SBegonias17

3/31/73 - finishing up the Spring '73 tour. Perhaps I will be caught up and ready to continue my '73 adventure with a May/Summer '73 box set :righton:

20. warewolf95

Happy marathoning! If you get through Des Moines in one sitting you will be a god amongst Heads :D

SBegonias17 likes this.
  21. SBegonias17

I've been working through from 2/9, taking breaks as necessary here and there (and I took 3/28 out of turn because it was the only one on my phone when I had a long road trip - though not long by your standards).

It's an interesting approach to listening, can't say I can do multiple years at once like others and my patience/listening is usually best doing tour by tours (like E'72, May 77, etc).

warewolf95 and ianuaditis like this.
  22. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Hot damn...that 5/3/72 Tennessee Jed. Jerry squeezes and pinches some mighty fine notes out of the Gator on that one.

23. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

6/10 is one of the most popular shows on the archive and with good reason. How about a set including that and the day before? And they can include mountain jam with weir and Ronnie Montrose from the allmans first night closer for good measure.

Billy_Sunday, Ezzie, rbbert and 6 others like this.
  24. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Nice, I'm right behind you, I did 3-30 either yesterday or maybe Friday night. I will probably queue up 3-31 tonight, though I may do something from 71 instead.

Right now it's 1-29-87, which was a vast improvement over the previous night. Something was up with Weir's singing, it just sounded off, and by the end of the show sounds completely shot, but Garcia's 'forgetting literally all the words' issue was gone, he even remembered all the words to Terrapin, which can be hit or miss even in ideal circumstances. His guitar playing has been outstanding, Set 2 features a Scarlet>Fire that's all about Garcia's solos in the second tune. Miracle>Stella Blue>GDTRFB is a nice sequence out of space, and the Baby Blue encore hits the spot as usual, I don't mind if they play that one a bit deliberately.

Earlier I heard "5-5-67 Fillmore," which is almost definitely not from that date, and maybe not from the Fillmore at all. (the Grateful Dead Guide places it somewhere after 8-5-67. ) Still, it's got a very rare live version of the Golden Road (here Golden Road>New Potato Caboose,) and a standalone Alligator. Great stuff, little needs to be said about it really.

Since it's not too late, I may start 1-22-71 and leave the 73 until tomorrow.

25. warewolf95

Im pretty impatient so most years prior 74 i don't see myself successfully marathoning at all. Ive tried 5 or 6 times just to do Europe 72 and i never get far due to show length and song repetition. Those are 2 major reasons why i sailed through 1990 and 91. :)

bzfgt, KCWhistle and SBegonias17 like this.