The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

2. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Welp, now i know the lyrics....but what does it all mean?!?!? :p

In all the shows ive heard, ive never heard one that didnt have at least a few tracks worth hearing. I cant think of any full on start-to-finish bad show.

I was surprised at all the post Dead too. Theres so much info in general i get overwhelmed readibg the thing lol.

I told my dad they mustve been on crack when they made it. He skimmed through the book and goes "ya gotta be on crack jist to read it". :D

All compliments to the authora and contributors for this incredible Dead Bible. :)

3. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Try 23 April 1984- New Haven. Other than a stunning Uncle John's Band, this is a really weak show IMHO. And- IWT.

Billy_Sunday and warewolf95 like this.
  4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Truckin' 11:37
    Jam 16:32
    The Other One 3:32
    Me And My Uncle 3:01
    The Other One 2:38
    Not Fade Away 5:56
    Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad 6:32
    Not Fade Away

Live at Aarhus University, Denmark, 4/16/72. Perfection.

5. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Nice jam there. Added it to my playlist. Thanks.

SBegonias17, Matthew Tate and Rne like this.
  6. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

One of the peaks of the tour. Thus, one of the peaks in the band's career.

7. US Blues

...Aarhus, New York, Detroit, and it's all the same street,
    Your typical city involved in your typical daydream...

Archtop, Billy_Sunday, Ezzie and 3 others like this.
  8. trat

trat Forum Resident

Dead.net has the Anthem 50th Anniversary disk up. Two different mixes and 10/22/67 as the bonus

footlooseman, mgb70, Ezzie and 15 others like this.
  9. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Excellent.

Billy_Sunday, Claxton and SBegonias17 like this.
  10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Great! The first recording with Mickey, and both Anthem mixes! (I'm not a big fan of the 1971 mix, but it's nice to have it anyway).
    I can forsee, then, the original mix of Aoxomoxoa on CD next year. :)

Mansley, Billy_Sunday, Ezzie and 6 others like this.
  11. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

Apologies if this has ever been addressed in the preceding couple thousand pages -- and I swear I read through the whole thing prior to joining -- but I'd appreciate some clarity about some matters concerning the Europe '72 box. I'm currently vacillating between a) wanting/needing the whole tour and b) being reasonably content with all of the other official releases from the tour, and (surprise!) leaning toward "a."

However, there's the choice between tracking down the giant trunk set, the "all music edition," and the individual shows. Buying up the individual shows seems like both a time-consuming hassle and not a great deal from a financial standpoint, so I've basically ruled that out.

This leaves the trunk and the "all music edition." I understand the difference between them in theory -- the latter excludes the trunk itself and the non-musical goodies contained therein -- but have searched and searched and still gotten no sense of whether the "all music edition" is actually, like, packaged in a container of some sort, or if it's just the individual shows in loose form. Finding an honest-to-god picture of this set online has proven surprisingly challenging.

Do the shows include any type of notes/essays? If so, are they included across all the various buying options? (In other words, if I buy 4/16/1972, for example, should I expect it to be the same mini-package whether I buy the trunk box, the "all music edition," or the individual show by itself?)

Thanks in advance for your wisdom! (And wow, $450 for this when it first came out is a steal I would absolutely NOT pass up today.)

ianuaditis likes this.
  12. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The All Music Edition was the same as the steam trunk, minus the trunk and the books, of course :D

Each digipak includes notes, most of them by Dead scholars.
    The coffee table included in the steam trunk has a great recollection of the tour, producer's notes, etc.

13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

heck yes

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  14. US Blues

It came with a coffee table?! :help:

15. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Do these sell out like the DPs? I ordered it anyway since I don't have Anthem in digital form or the original mix, but I gots to know.

In other news, I've been stuck on the 4/4/71 Manhattan Center show. That "Easy Wind" jam is just so good and then they do it again with "Hard to Handle." Some really gritty funk undertones in the '71 Dead. Psyched about the new '71 DP.

16. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

no these are wide releases not limited

ianuaditis, SBegonias17 and KeninDC like this.
  17. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

:biglaugh::unhunh::unhunh::unhunh::biglaugh:
    Sorry, I meant a coffee table book.

18. STGATX

STGATX Forum Resident

And for the budget minded, Amazon has it listed for $19.98. I was going to make a joke about pre-ordering for the bonus discs, but I didn't want to start a panic...

19. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

I guess that's why pictures of the All Music Edition seem hard to come by. "Digipaks in a row" is not terribly exciting to look at, but it makes storage a breeze. I think the individual show notes will do me just fine. I mostly just didn't want to find out after the fact that there were no notes at all. Thanks for your help!

Rne likes this.
  20. David Beckwith

David Beckwith Forum Resident

Definitely...and I wonder what will happen with the live stuff as the years go on and full shows are more like 3 CD's. Will they do one CD of highlights from a show? Especially excited for the two 1970's coming up!

ianuaditis, SBegonias17 and Rne like this.
  21. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Could do a Frankenstein job with 1 version of each song on the album from different shows. Add in some studio outtakes and keep it to 2 discs?
    I see the plan of trying to sell these to those not on the bus. Keeping it to 2 discs is a good idea.

22. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Wonder if the Amazon version will have the first run "special lenticular of the cover"? Of course, when it comes to budgets, all is lost when it is the Good Old Grateful Dead. And why say "3D" when you can say "lenticular"? Thank you Satanic Majesties Request.

23. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

But surely the all-music edition must come in some kind of box? Otherwise, it's no different from just buying all the individual digipaks.

24. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Ezzie, Crispy Rob, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  25. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

:goodie::pineapple::bdance: