The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident

If anyone is in the mood for happy psychedelic Dead then try out The Eleven on Dick's 26 cd 2. HAPPY MUSIC.

2. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    5/25/72 (the above pic is just illustrative, it's not from the actual show):
    Uncle John's Band>Wharf Rat>Dark Star>Sugar Magnolia

One of the best segues from 1972. I feel as if I'd already said the same about every second set of the European tour.

3. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

1/17/68 is the earliest known performances of Dark Star, China Cat, The Eleven, Born Cross-Eyed.

Crispy Rob and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

another 50th anniversary. and a very interesting jam it is.

[​IMG]

5. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

from an earlier thread on that subject-

we were at a marin county club the night before seeing the rowan brothers. we noticed phil lesh at the bar. I believe this was his local watering hole at the time. we heard while we were there that the dead would be playing a private show the next night. it was all invited guests including friends, family, record company folks and the press. some press left early who probably were assigned to be there and we managed to get their invitations as they left. the club staff picked up on that and started to question folks as they tried to get in. when I was asked where I got mine, I replied anton round and they said ok to go in. i can still remember walking around inside the great american music hall on that amazing night. only 600 lucky folks in that small venue. i was able to get in for the second set but had to leave before the end to catch a plane. who knew this was going to happen when we booked our flights? oh well, at least i heard the first set from outside and most of the second set from inside.

6. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I may have understated the situation somewhat so as not to make others jealous.

Archtop and trd like this.
  7. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

Right place, right time, truly amazing you were there. When I was 13 or 14 I got my first Dead bootleg. This was mid-eighties I guess. It was a cassette labeled Make Believe Ballroom and was actually 8/13/75. It helped set me on the path. I think the Stronger Than Dirt in particular grabbed me by the collar. That show is so legendary and wonderful that to even hear your memory of it makes my day. Glad to have found this forum, some pretty serious folks hanging about.

8. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

Can anyone who has the European Vinyl version of Europe ‘72 vol. 2 confirm that it is also cut by Chris Bellman like the US cut? The Discogs page indicates that it is, but I wanted to check. Thanks!

9. Jman92

Jman92 Forum Resident

Currently listening to 10/21/71: Auditorium theatre, Chicago.

Man I forgot just how excellent this Dark Star is. I believe this was the first DS w/ Keith on board as this was only his second show. This is a pretty concise version, nothing TOO far out there as it seems perhaps the band was trying to ease Keith into this new exploratory sonic adventure.

But to me what makes it worthwhile is the frantic jam that builds up after about the 11 minute mark, that then proceeds to EXPLODE into one of the most ferocious, celebratory "Feelin Groovy" jams that this band ever produced. Surprisingly enough, it seems as if Keith is the one who really triggers this jam, and his upright piano adds a frolicking, barroom edge to the jam and the band just absolutely soars. Then of course you get an EXCELLENT transition into one of my favorites, Sittin on Top of the World. We fade back into Dark Star for a few minutes before transitioning again to Me and Bobby McGee, another welcome song in this era.

Overall I think this whole show is a must listen, with great versions of then-new songs (Comes a Time, Tennessee Jed, Ramble on Rose). The band is feeling quite sassy, frequently messing with both each other and the audience in between songs. They are clearly enjoying the new sound Keith is bringing to the table.

But seriously, the Dark Star-->Sittin-->Dark Star--> Bobby McGee is well worth your time. However I would urge you to consider the whole show as it is quite good.

The Charlie Miller SBD available on Archive is as crisp as you could ever want a recording to be, with Keith upfront in the mix really nicely. It really gives you a great idea of what Keith could bring to the table. He is all over this recording.

Billy_Sunday, LucaB, Mansley and 14 others like this.
  10. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’m currently listening to A1/B1 pressing of David Crosby’s debut album and I know it doesn’t feature Bob but the tracks the dead were involved in on this could be some of the finest studio playing the band did. Phils playing comes through so well on this first pressing

11. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

This sounds fantastic... is there a way on the archive to go directly to the CM sourced version of said show?

12. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Some of the tightest performances the Dead ever gave. That in crescendo introduction by Bill Graham and the band always gives me goosebumps. Stunning concert.

13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

To find a specific source I usually look up the show on db.etree.org which has links to each Archive source.

nfmboss666, ianuaditis and budwhite like this.
  14. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Deadbase lists Dark Star on a show from the Shrine Auditorium, 12-13-67. No tape exists, it's probably from a newspaper review or eyewitness reminisence.

There's an instrumental studio outtake from 11-14-67 on the archive. This date seems to be pretty firm, so it lends some plausibility to the 12-13 claim, and given that there are several unrecorded December 67 shows (mostly in NY and Boston,) it's possible (probably even likely) there were even more performances before the 1-17-68 recording that we have. Born Cross-Eyed is probably the same way, as it's on the 11-14 studio session, and we know how Weir is with his new songs.

If you search the Grateful Dead collection by date with an asterisk:

www.archive.org/details/GratefulDead?and[]=date:1971-10-21%2A

It will pull all up all the available sources, you can then mouse over the link and it will usually say the source in the URL:

www.archive.org/details/gd1971-10-21.sbd.miller.112086.flac16

(looks like my bolding of 'miller' messed up the hyperlink, but if you copy and paste that it will take you there.)

Or, you can also just google the date, grateful dead and miller and his results will usually come up at the top of the list:

11-11-73 grateful dead miller - Google Search

The etree method works too, I don't usually use them, so these are just some alternatives.

15. US Blues

Phil and Jerry offer up some of the best studio work of their careers on that album. A must for any Deadhead, or music fan for that matter.

16. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

That has long been my favorite Dead studio album.

17. If you figured that out for yourself just by listening, unprompted by the opinions of others, good on you.

Exceptionally well-recorded LP, too.

Billy_Sunday and US Blues like this.
  18. Jman92

Jman92 Forum Resident

Looks like a couple others have chimed in with ways to go about this. What I usually do (using how I found the CM source for this show as an example):

Google "Grateful Dead 10/21/71"

Click on the first Archive link that pops up.

When it takes you to the streaming page, click on "check for other copies" which is next to Publication Date towards the top of the page.

This will take you to all available sources for the show. On the left side of your screen there is a column that says "Topics and Subjects" Generally speaking, if there is a Charlie Miller source for the recording, his name will appear in this area. Check the box next to his name and it will take you to his source for the given show.

19. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

If you just search the date and "miller", you should get Charlie's source, because of the naming standards we instituted back in the day. For example, gd1971-10-21.sbd.miller.112086.flac16.

20. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I first heard the LP about 6 years ago and instantly fell in love with it. Long before I got into the Dead about 3 years ago. But it’s recently I’ve really started breaking down who is playing what. Phil absolutely makes the tracks he’s on his own. Jerry’s pedal steel takes Laughing to a whole new level

21. US Blues

21 May 1974- Seattle. The longest Playing In The Band evah! 46+ minutes.

Billy_Sunday, Mansley, tobyd and 7 others like this.
  22. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

Thanks All!

ianuaditis likes this.
  23. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

This was fwd'd to me this weekend and I must admit to enjoying the hell out of it.
    It's just SBD audio overlaid a couple of time-reflective images and some textual commentary over that for a nice 22 minute jaunt.

or as the publisher said: "A quintessential gonzo escapade of the speedball era." -->

Billy_Sunday and ianuaditis like this.
  24. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Trying RT 4.4 from 4/6/82 today. Not working for me but I think it’s because of the awful cassette sound that I continue to struggle with. Last listen was very enjoyable so maybe it’s me today.

Radically changing gears to the intense 2/11/69 short compressed sets. Schoolgirl kicking it off and I’m all in:)

Matthew Tate and US Blues like this.
  25. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Re: If Could Only Remember My Name by the Croz

I first heard this album about twenty years ago. I loved it at first listen. Mesmerizing!

Billy_Sunday, US Blues and KCWhistle like this.