The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Meet the new Alembic, lighter than the old Alembic. :D

Archtop, budwhite and US Blues like this.
  2. trd

trd Forum Resident

:D

Alembic has a post on their IG about it from February 23rd,
    Alembic on Instagram: “Meet Dream Fyre, Phil Lesh's newest Alembic bass. This short scale 6-string bass features a Coco Bolo top and back with a Mahogany, Maple,…”

This is the guitar he played on the duo tour

3. The answer is no, mostly I have listened to Seastones, but I did skip one or two of them.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    ianuaditis likes this.
  4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Only 20 minutes, that's all? It's a 1972 "The Other One", for Christ's sake! I want my money back! :nyah:

Billy_Sunday, Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  5. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I'm glad you edited, I thought you meant you were skipping them. Not that that's not a valid choice, we just would have parted ways on that point.

SBegonias17 and US Blues like this.
  6. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

trd, Crispy Rob, wavethatflag and 2 others like this.
  7. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Real quick question, folks: How did the "bonus disc" for the Egypt 78 "Rocking The Cradle" release come sent or packaged with that title? Did the bonus disc come packaged in a separate printed or plain white sleeve and outside of the shrinkwrapped main release? Did it come shrinwrapped inside and on the backside of the cover? Or was it included somewhere inside the shrinkwrapped release? (and, if so, is there any sort of additional sticker on the outside of the shrinkwrap indicating that the bonus disc is included?)

I am asking because I have just reserved a still sealed copy of the Egypt release that the seller listed under the 3xCD/1 DVD listing, indicating that this is the release with the bonus disc. I am skeptical and have asked the seller to confirm that he indeed has the bonus disc included with the release. He said that he would have to remove the shrinkwrap to confirm the inclusion of the bonus disc. Is that right? Shouldn't the bonus disc be included separately or be plain to see on the outside of the back cover? I have never had a copy of the Egypt release in my hands to examine, so the input of people in the know here will be greatly appreciated.

SBegonias17 and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

Nice pics, hard to believe Phil is 78, looking good and standing up there jamming for a few hours!

Billy_Sunday, lucan_g, mmthmj and 3 others like this.
  9. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

It was a white envelope release. It was so long ago I cannot remember if it was inside or outside the shrink. Nonetheless, you should be able to see a white CD envelope somewhere in the package, if it is there. I just put a white envelope inside mine to check and if it is there you should still be able to see it through the top of the shrink, if that is where they put it. But, it makes the pack bulge a little, so I seriously doubt it went inside.

Matthew Tate and giantleech like this.
  10. giantleech

Thanks for the reply.

If anyone else might know, I would like to hear about it. Wouldn't the bonus disc be presented as shrinwrapped to the back cover side of the release? Otherwise, wouldn't it have been sent separately outside of the shrinkwrapped release? It doesn't seem likely that they would have shrinkwrapped the bonus disc as hidden inside the main cover. Or am I wrong about that with that specific release?

I am figuring that maybe the seller didn't know any better and just listed their obtained, sealed copy of Egypt 78 incorrectly, either through ignorance or planned crookery, on Discogs. I am looking for a still sealed copy of Egypt 78, with the bonus disc (I am not interested in the version without the bonus disc) and this current listing on Discogs that I reserved seemed to be too good to be true (especially considering that that the seller is not certain that the bonus disc is included.) :mad:

Edit/Addendum: The seller has gone ahead and cancelled the order after I brought to light obvious issues with their listing.

Seller "Thanks for the info. I believe I misunderstood the 0age release and my copy is the 2 cd 1 dvd only. I'll go ahead and cancel this order. Thanks again for the correct info."

My search for still sealed Egypt 78 "Rocking The Cradle" set (WITH BONUS DISC) continues... :sigh:

ianuaditis and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    It came shrinkwrapped with the main release. No sticker at all.

12. HighThyme

HighThyme Forum Resident

It came in its own cardboard sleeve. If you google search for an image there are several of the two side by side. They are not the same dimensions, however. I don't recall exactly how they were shrinkwrapped together, but if the seller showed you both sides, one of them would have to be the front or back of the bonus disc sleeve.

13. giantleech

Shrinwrapped facing outside from the back cover, like with the Dave's Picks bonus discs? I figure that would be the only logical way.

Thanks for providing the picture of the bonus disc cover. Maybe you or some other person could update the Discogs listing (for the bonus disc included version, obviously) to include this image on that page. Maybe it will save some people a lot of confusion in the future.

Edit/Addendum: D'oh! Nevermind. The Discogs listing already includes the bonus disc image.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

not the same situation but there is a john mellencamp best buy release that had a bonus disc and the bonus disc actually had its own sleeve inside the packaging cardboard digipak. I can take a pic if you want or you can look on discogs but without a sticker on the from or something you would have never known it had a bonus disc in it

ianuaditis and wavethatflag like this.
  15. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

2/13/70

My favorite "Casey Jones". It's perfect

16. Yeah, edited for clarity.

"Will you skip Seastones?" Mostly no
    "Is that part of the package for you?" Yes

Like I said, I skipped one or two of the early ones in the longer June shows, but have listened to the rest of them.

ianuaditis likes this.
  17. NorCal

NorCal Forum Resident

It’s going to be a late night working, so I needed some motivation; going to do the May 1972 Lyceum run these next 4 days. I’m just getting started with 5.23.1972 and depending on how long I go, I’ll likely crack open set 1 of 5.24.1972 after midnight. I’ve spent the most time with 5.26, so I’m looking forward to this run.

18. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Listening to 1976-06-03 while working late and, as always, reminded me of what may be my favorite post ever on the Grateful Thread and SHF. Part of me wants to cut and paste the above into my meager review spreadsheet so when I die someone will look at it and see wow, he went so out of character for this show - we must go listen to it. Just that kind of night. Thanks @warewolf95 for the adjectives that most of us fear to think about using.

By the way, if you need a listening idea tonight, just crank this one up.

19. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Wow, Dave's Picks 20 (12/9/81) is a trainwreck... just wow.... at least that's what the recording would have you believe.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The second set of 10/31/83 was the second GD tape I got in my collection. Overall a very good set.

Billy_Sunday and ianuaditis like this.
  21. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

The Jack Straw certainly.

The Stella Blue is worth a listen.

Billy_Sunday and Crispy Rob like this.
  22. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I needed something for next. This is it.
    Seamons matrix? My usual goto.

Crispy Rob and KCWhistle like this.
  23. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

The Seamons is my go to on this one.

24. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I was sticking with the late period for a while, after 10-31-83, which was a really good show, especially with the final St. Stephen, which did suffer from a bit of mistiming on the last verse, but otherwise a credible enough sendoff for one of their iconic tunes. It's a shame they didn't try reviving that in one of their better-rehearsed eras, like 87.

To which point, I next put on 3-26-87 Hartford Civic Center. This was an enthusiastic performance with lots of emphatic vocals and some really good renditions of the tunes, if nothing too spaced out or groundbreaking. Garcia sings his 'I wish I was a headlight' verse with his feelings on his sleeve. An enjoyable show for the energy aspect alone, and some fine playing.

Then it was 2-25-94. There was nothing wrong with this show, but I can't find much to really highlight. It picked up steam as it went along, and I Fought The Law wasn't as godawful as I remembered it. I also like 'Way to Go Home,' Garcia seemed to be into it, which is a pretty important criteria for any of the also-ran tunes. 90s shows are mostly short, especially compared to 73, and there can be some good stuff in Drums/Space, though this night nothing reached out to grab me. It was utter pandemonium in my house while I had this on, so that may contribute to the less than glowing review, but I think I got the gist of it anyway. I won't be revisiting it anytime soon, though the list and reviews for the following night seem to be very promising.

Finally, as an antidote to all that, it was 1-20-68 Eureka. Clementine>New Potato>Born Cross Eyed>Spanish Jam>Dark Star. Though Dark Star cuts out as the verse starts, it's the preceding that's the real deal, one of the finer examples of a Primal Dead jam. One can only lament the likely ...China Cat>the Eleven>etc. that likely followed Dark Star on the night.

25. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Still the ultimate Dark Star. :cool: