The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I would like to thank the two threaders that liked the above post as it is kind of dumb. I listened to the album on YouTube and, wow, it is very adult contemporary '78 Bob. I have seen him do Easy To Slip live. I followed it with Ace, which, get this, I had also never heard before, although of course am exceedingly familiar with through the GD's repertoire.

2. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

24 May 1972- Lyceum Theatre, London.

Happy Birthday to Nobel Laureate Robert Zimmerman.

3. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

I definitely liked that because it was funny -- not because I'm at all supportive of the GD wasting their precious time this summer on a reissue of that album. :laugh:

As for Ace... REALLY? Wow! I'd be curious to hear your thoughts. It's one of the only studio albums I go back to with much regularity, most recently after Barlow died. Definitely a longtime favorite. I think they really did justice to most of the material, which can't always be said of the studio records.

4. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

77! With each passing year I'm a little more amused that Rolling Stone made a gigantic deal out of his 60th birthday. That was a great issue, from what I recall.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Got the new 7/26/87 Ultra Matrix going now and thoroughly enjoying the Dylan set

Billy_Sunday, Crispy Rob and adamos like this.
  6. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Speaking of Bobby. Enjoy the long weekend!

7. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Right Now i'm listening to 8/22/93 on SiriusXM's Grateful Dead Channel via the webstream........Franklin's Tower is now on.

8. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

That version of Playin' is as close as they ever got to encapsulating their live experience on a studio release. Not over the top great, but really strong.

9. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

3/21/90 is really one of the last very special shows for me. It's got that epic Half-Step to start things out (the one that's on Without A Net) and it is just so in the groove it's ridiculous. Without A Net is one of the best live albums of all time. I think it's a great modern encapsulation of a band at the height of their abilities at that time which was a highlight of their career.

10. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Heaven Help The Fool is actually a really good album.

11. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

The performance of the title track at Radio City is epic.

Crispy Rob, Matthew Tate and US Blues like this.
  12. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Those Fall '80s shows must have really been something wonderful to attend, taking things back a decade to the Fall '69 and Spring '70 shows with the acoustic / electric sets. The band were certainly firing on all cylinders on these runs. I don't listen to them often, but when I do I am always blown away by their power and consistency. They might be the best runs of all time.

13. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Did he really...? Lol. The Great Billy Cobham on drums but this is...

Anyway. ;)

Six Bachelors, bzfgt and RockRoom like this.
  14. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

4/8/71 is tonight's last stop. Dark Star is Jerry and Phil off to the races. Harsh cut right at the end, but well worth a listen, blown lyrics and all.

15. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Power??? 1980 was a very weak year overall and while the acoustic sets were a treat, the fall electric sets were dismal. I find Dead Set unlistenable.

Archtop, US Blues and davmar77 like this.
  16. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Boz Weir
    or
    Steely Bob
    I liked it.

US Blues likes this.
  17. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

1980/15th anniversary served the band well. It began their rise to Mega Dead.
    Certainly a crossroads for their 30 year arc.
    Dead Set is good for a quick indoctrination for the uninitiated.
    I saw that in real time among my younger set co-workers and their crew.
    It can take time for 1st timers to take in a 30 minute Other 1 or Lovelight.
    Like when the studio Terrapin side worked well in real time for those arena rockers used to Tull, Queen etc....
    "That's the Grateful Dead!??"
    Me: "Sort of..."

mmthmj, bzfgt, Crispy Rob and 5 others like this.
  18. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Haven’t Dead-ed much for ages but, iPad in hand and dangerously floating on a pool chair yesterday, I randomly chose a 74 show from the archive and was absolutely blown away by the Playin’>Scarlet Begonias>Playin’ sandwich.

Cue much hard drive searching for a ‘I must have this somewhere’ downloaded version of the show. Nope - not there.

So I found a decent version at LLegs and downloaded that. But it’s shn format.

And then spent a while trying to convert shn to mp3 - it’s like being back in the early 2000s! Gave up because I couldn’t find a decent converter (I know there are probably loads - I was being lazy).

Woke up this morning and had another look for the show, only to realize after reading some reviews that the Playin’ sandwich is on disc 4 of Dick’s Picks 31 - and I have two copies of it for some reason!

Boring story but it made me realize that although I own all the Picks, I’ve barely listened to some.

Billy_Sunday, Archtop, trd and 5 others like this.
  19. jv66

jv66 Estimated Dead Prophet

Barely listening to DP 31 seems like a criminal act to me ;). The 8/4 includes my favorite Scarlet (the 8/6 disc 4 ain't no slouch either as you've mentioned). The 8/4 version has that cool Keith Rhodes sound near the end, someone in an earlier post had mentioned liking the sound of Keith on Loser from DaP 9 that is pretty much the same. The Playin' opening is what really got me on the bus a few years back. It's lightning fast and I still can't quite believe my ears listening to Keith and Jerry play off each other in that tune (esp around the 6:00 mark).

rcb30, bzfgt, Crispy Rob and 8 others like this.
  20. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

That interesting that you've never listened. You know all the songs but you have to hear the studio versions. This is my reset LP. Anytime I get a new piece of audio equipment this is the first LP I play as I know it like the back of my hand. Playing in the Band goes on first to test all new equipment.

In my youth, this was a hard LP on vinyl to track down (at least for me). I was only 10 when it was released and didn't find my Deadness until some years later and spent many weekend in the PA/NJ/NY/DE area record stores trying to find a copy, which I had to settle on a palm tree version . Now I have several...a greenie (2)/WLP/palm tree/a reissue gold label (I think). Must hear music.

21. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Dead Set is edited to death. Regardless, there are a few great versions there.

22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Good record for Jerry ballads. "Friend Of The Devil," "Candyman" and "Loser" are strong versions.

23. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

I was indoctrinated with Dead Set in about 1987. I had Skeletons since grade school, but when I got into high school, Dead Set was suggested by someone to get the feel of what current Dead show was kinda like.

Olompali, Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  24. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

I agree, esp FOTD.

25. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

"Their rise to Mega Dead" is a phrase that fills me with dread and sorrow.

Panama Hotel, ianuaditis and US Blues like this.