The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

I hadn't noticed, but I pulled out DaP 9, am listening now and you just may be right. This is one punchy sucker.

It's been said before but it doesn't get said often enough.Billy the K is insanely underrated. The single drummer years are a showcase for his talents, and on a board like this, you can wallow in every thwack and whomp.

Mansley, mmthmj, Crispy Rob and 12 others like this.
  2. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Or there are 2 sets of reel masters (very possible, even likely) and the one that has not circulated doesn't have the problem

3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Absolutely, he was brilliant, particularly during the 1971-1974 era.

mw1917, Crispy Rob, budwhite and 4 others like this.
  4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

An empire, or a religion. Although they are often indistinguishable.

5. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Given their recent emphasis on SQ (sometimes over show selection like e.g. Dave's Picks 22 (edit: or 20)) I suspect this is what's going on.

Also, were the Betty boards just her reference recordings? Would they still have Kidd bother making his tapes (as I've understood it reference recordings intended for the band) even though Betty was also making hers?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  6. Spinning wheel

Spinning wheel Forum Resident

Dave definitely lost cred w/ me after listening to him rave about DP20 which is just horrible (esp. in comparison w/ the fantastic Dick's 13). Was that really the best they could come up with if they wanted to release an '81 show?

rufus t firefly and warewolf95 like this.
  7. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

The ‘Uncle John’s Band’ tease that Keith instigates at the end of China Cat is glorious.

8. Jman92

Jman92 Forum Resident

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

10. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Just listened to some of the Pure Jerry Keystone 1 September ‘74 set - theoretically the second set of the early show. I say “theoretically” because that whole release is very odd - it has fade outs after most tracks and it has been verified (I believe - see the excellent Jerry Garcia’s Middle Finger website) that three of the tracks are not from that show (It’s Too Late and Dixie are from 11 August ‘74, which is now GarciaLive Vol. 9 - they appear there with much less reverb than with which they appear on the Pure Jerry set) and one (La La) is from 24 August.

I have raised this here before but didn’t get a response. Can any tape experts here (or anyone for that matter) give me a confirmed setlist for the for sets across the the early and late shows on 1 September ‘74? @rbbert? @Scribbs?

Even the official Jerry website seems wrong. For example it lists La La, It’s Too Late and Dixie (which of course may have been performed but as I said the versions on the Pure Jerry release are not from this night). Harder They Come is listed as the late show/first set opener but has a show closing stage announcement at the end of it. I Second That Emotion isn’t listed at all but is on the Pure Jerry release.

The best I can manage from the available material is:-

Early/first
    Neighbour Neighbour
    Keepers
    Sitting In Limbo
    Favela
    Tough Mama

Early/second
    Someday Baby
    Think
    Roadrunner
    Harder They Come

Late/first
    I Second That Emotion
    Going Going Gone
    Soul Roach (the audio isn’t faded out at the end of this track but it could be an edit)
    Mystery Train (set closing announcement)

Late/second
    Wondering Why> (no fade out - in fact, it segues)
    People Make The World Go Round (no fade out and segue)
    Keystone Jam (fade out, no closing announcement)

So...the final set is quite short but definitely all seems to be a continuous piece. The rest of it? I have no idea.

Anyone got any help for me? Is there an AUD of this show? Any theories for the weird compiling of this set?

Whatever the provenance of the music, this is great stuff. A little underdone compared with some of the stuff right at the end of the year (see GarciaLive...I can’t remember - the one with the two shows from December ‘74) and Martin Fierro overplays a bit in my opinion but it is a refreshing change from the dark and frightening textures that the Dead was exploring at the same time. I can see why Jerry needed this as well.

11. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I think the fact of the matter is that we don't know for certain. Those Betty tapes have always been a pain in the butt to keep tabs on. And I think when the official Jerry site imported Ryan's database from "The Jerry Site", a lot of interesting little bits of info went missing (or just cannot be seen). Jerry's Middle Finger is probably as definitive as you're going to get. I personally stopped trying to keep track of it all. I just listen to it. There's rarely a dud.

12. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

One of my favorite post retirement cuts are Winter/Spring of 1981 Bird Songs. I may have ranted about these before. Garcia often takes them for an aerial tour with a plethora of melodic ideas. Some are stunning and bring to mind thematic 1970's Dark Star excursions. The longest version ever hails from this era on 3/7 but my personal favorite is 3/9 ( soon to see an official release;) with 2/26 coming in a close second. In contrast to the Dark Star comparison, these Bird Song's glide on glory and illumination. The darkness of a 'Star' replaced with the rising of prospective a flight. Wow.

Well, I just listened to the spectacular 3/2 version from a Wagner aud hailing from Cleveland and almost had to excuse myself from work. Sometimes home is the only place to listen to the GOGD. This early 81 period is definitively the best era for Bird Song imo.

I feel that the acoustic versions from the end of 1980 revealed new nuances and pathways for the band to travel. The songs rediscovering is cause for the powerful full band renditions. What a tone by JG in March and kudos to Brent for riding on JG's vapor trails.

Check a version out today, but only in a safe environment!!!

13. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I also think Phil's tone during Scarlet and The Music Never Stopped is low for him, and maybe that's contributing to him being hard to hear, but that doesn't entirely explain the lack of presence, and maybe it doesn't explain it at all. Especially where Bob's guitar is basically missing also. I completely agree with your last sentence.

Rne likes this.
  14. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Disc: 1
    1. China Cat Sunflower (Live at Portland Memorial Coliseum, Portland, OR 5/19/74)
    2. I Know You Rider (Live at Portland Memorial Coliseum, Portland, OR 5/19/74)
    3. Bird Song (Live at P.N.E. Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C. 6/22/73)
    4. Box Of Rain (Live at Portland Memorial Coliseum, Portland, OR 6/24/73)
    5. Brown-Eyed Women (Live at Hec Edmundson Pavillion, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 5/21/74)
    6. Truckin' (Live at Portland Memorial Coliseum, Portland, OR 5/19/74)
    7. Jam (Live at Portland Memorial Coliseum, Portland, OR 5/19/74)
    8. Not Fade Away (Live at Portland Memorial Coliseum, Portland, OR 5/19/74)
    9. Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad (Live at Portland Memorial Coliseum, Portland, OR 5/19/74)
    10. One More Saturday Night (Live at Portland Memorial Coliseum, Portland, OR 5/19/74)
    Disc: 2
    1. Here Comes Sunshine (Live at P.N.E. Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C. 6/22/73)
    2. Eyes Of The World (Live at P.N.E. Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C. 5/17/74)
    3. China Doll (Live at Hec Edmundson Pavillion, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 5/21/74)
    4. Playing In The Band (Live at Hec Edmundson Pavillion, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 5/21/74)
    Disc: 3
    1. Sugaree (Live at P.N.E. Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C. 5/17/74)
    2. He's Gone (Live at P.N.E. Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C. 6/22/73)
    3. Truckin' (Live at P.N.E. Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C. 6/22/73)
    4. The Other One (Live at P.N.E. Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C. 6/22/73)
    5. Wharf Rat (Live at P.N.E. Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C. 6/22/73)
    6. Sugar Magnolia (Live at P.N.E. Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C. 6/22/73)

mmthmj and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. hfarrior3

hfarrior3 Worst pressing ever ...

Matthew Tate and nfmboss666 like this.
  16. hfarrior3

hfarrior3 Worst pressing ever ...

Also, it locks in your exchange rate

17. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Playing the 6/22/73 Hunter's Trix matrix right now. It is the only one of the 6x shows I have offhand in FLAC. The other 5 I have burned on CD-R and, at this point, the only place I can even play CDs is on my home rig, so those will have to wait until I have some downtime at the house, or I get a chance to rip or re-download them.

ianuaditis likes this.
  18. jv66

jv66 Estimated Dead Prophet

Not at all surpise that disc 3 is all from 6/22/73. The last 3 1/2 minutes of that Truckin' jam (before the segue to TOO) from 6/22 is probably my favorite GD piece of music, it's simply sublime. I downloaded recently the 6/24 Portland show from Miller's remaster of 2008 and was delighted to hear that they continued that theme in the Dark Star jam. Haven't heard the Seattle 6/26 show and curious to see if that theme continues. Miller recent remaster of 6/22 was a big improvement over the oher sources I had (Hunter matrix etc) especially with Birdsong so I'm looking forward to hearing Planget sound on these. The 74 Seattle show download I have isn't all that great sound wise (but the show is) and haven't hear the other 2 shows from '74 so I'm delighted with this box set announcement.

19. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

When there is a Dark Star--> Drums--> Dark Star I always edit the 3 together so it appears as a single Dark Star track. I do the same for Cryptical>Drums>OO>Cryptical. I tag that as That's It For The Other One. Otherwise it's too many unnecessary tracks. YMMV.

ralphk, Crispy Rob, bzfgt and 5 others like this.
  20. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Betty’s recording, from my understanding, were her reference recordings and thus, not the official soundboard that was recorded

Crispy Rob and rbbert like this.
  21. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Is this the usual Feeling Groovy jam which we have discussed? (I always heard it as UJB - although the chord structure is different, the rhythm and overall feel are very much like UJB)

Crispy Rob likes this.
  22. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

SO EXCITED FOR THE BOX!

Been wanting to post for a few days but somehow ended up 30 pages behind so I wanted to catch up before posting.

1) I ordered the box set as soon as I received the email, have yet to watch Dave's video but I already love seeing those.

2) I was obsessed with 5/3/72 over the last week, Some great moments in this show as I am sure all of you know.

3) I am listening to the 5/7/72, Bickershaw show. Another fantastic show. Any recommendations on where to go next?

mmthmj, budwhite, SBegonias17 and 3 others like this.
  23. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

24. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip! I canceled my LP Box from Dead Net and will order 2 through Amazon now.

nfmboss666 and hfarrior3 like this.
  25. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

budwhite likes this.