The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Can’t wait for the Winterland ‘73 box I ordered this weekend to get here, maybe then I’ll be able to stop listening to this Denver ‘73.

Road Trips Vol. 4 No. 3

[​IMG]

2. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

If you like the Denver set, you're not likely to be disappointed by the Winterland box. I'm hoping to resume with the last disc of 11/11/73 tonight. First up: "Dark Star."

3. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Yeah, I was going to say that "The Main Ten" is in the "song" part of Playing in the Band after the chorus and before the return to the verse. It's the part that Merle Saunders overdubbed organ for on the Skull**** album.

US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  4. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

I need to stop buying physical media, but the Real Gone reissue of that one is so tempting!

5. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Y'all are wrong. It's just "CC -> Rider" ;) :laugh:

6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

There's a Main Ten jam on 11/8/69 and a few other shows.

ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  7. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

There are The Main Ten jams on many shows, then Donna starts screaming and Bobby starts singing!

8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

And the entire song appears as "The Main Ten" on Mickey's Rolling Thunder album.

Matthew Tate and wavethatflag like this.
  9. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Confession: My Dead Head brain has been corrupted by overdubbed live Grateful Dead.

For 46 years my favorite live Dead of all has been the heavily doctored, absolutely perfect May 3, 1972 Paris version of “China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider” from Europe ’72. (The same day Bruce Springsteen successfully auditioned for John Hammond at Columbia Records, for you trivia buffs.)

And lately the Grateful Dead Movie Soundtrack version of “Eyes of the World,” with the eerily flawless overdubbed vocals, is way up there at the top of my pops. Apart from the many ill-advised-tempo performances of “Eyes” than I can’t abide, the band manages to butcher the chorus harmonies on almost every version I’ve ever heard. To be able to fully relax and fall without flinching into a supremely realized (no matter how dishonest) performance of this gorgeous song is wonderful.

Fake it ’til ya make it!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    rcb30, unravelled, bzfgt and 7 others like this.
  10. notesofachord

I find their less-than-perfect vocals charming, personally. I wouldn't be as big of a Pigpen fan if I needed the singing perfectly on pitch. Those nice overdubbed vocals are pleasing though, it's true. It's why I consider Europe '72 to be their 1972 "studio" album. It just happens to have "overdubbed" live instrumental tracks. :p

11. notesofachord

Ugh. I tried that once and couldn't handle more than an hour and a half or so. Too much of a good thing can turn into a not so good thing. Ice Cream tastes great, but eat too much and you feel sick. Or shrimp cocktail or James Bond films or, etc...

trumpet sounds and budwhite like this.
  12. notesofachord

According to deadlists, there are 31 Dark Stars performed in 1972. You're saying that Veneta is in the bottom six or seven? Okay.

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, these are just opinions after all. Actually, once I get around to listening to all of the Fall '72 renditions, I might even agree with you. We'll see.

At this point, I've heard 17 or 18 of the 1972 Dark Star performances. While they're all mostly wonderful performances and it's hard to rank them, I'd still say that Veneta is in my top ten.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  13. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Listening to the '78 30 Trips show. This "Let It Grow" is good.

Mental response to an email I just got: "No, Phil, I'm not going to your Telstar jam."

14. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

This seems like the fastest Eyes ever played.

Dahabenzapple likes this.
  15. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

That hurt my eyes to read. The GD version of that song could have been subtitled "let's head for the car" as far as I'm concerned. I'm not a fan of Weir-sung Dylan covers except Memphis Blues Again, and Watchtower might be the worst of them.

Here's my favorite version from an IWT show from 5/27/89 with Clarence Clemons sitting in. His ripping solo fits right in. Starts @ 31:20 if you're interested. I'm sure @budwhite has already seen this.

16. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Thanks for this reply. A pity. I'd get it in a flash if I could get it on its own.

markmck79 likes this.
  17. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Starting with late '71, I wonder how many Truckin's actually have Jerry singing on the first word ("Truckin") of the "Truckin' up to Buffalo" verse? My guess ~ not many. It's usually Bob being left out to dry. And how many of his are "-uckin" rather than a confident "Truckin"? My guess ~ a majority.

Matthew Tate and ianuaditis like this.
  18. Six Bachelors

That bonus disc seems very elusive (and expensive).

19. Six Bachelors

I'm a big fan of the Pig although even I have to draw the line at the Hard To Handles when he gets an entire beat of sync.

For Watchtowers to end all Watchtowers, look (or listen?) no further than 31 March '88 (on Road Trips Vol. 4 No. 2).

Matthew Tate and ianuaditis like this.
  20. US Blues

Phil did a Telstar jam in '08 that was... Spacious.

21. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Like Heaven's Door, Watchtower is a heavily overplayed and over-covered Dylan tune by every hack bar band in the world (including bands I've been in ). But I dug the Dead's version because of Jerry's ripping leads (when played well).

Mansley, Billy_Sunday, bzfgt and 6 others like this.
  22. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Yes, this is a very basic life lesson that all should learn from a very young age, just refer to the “Yummy, Yucky” children’s book: “Ice Cream is yummy, too much ice cream is yucky!”

[​IMG]

This is a lesson my kids have learned from a very early age. Although, they have also learned the lesson that knowing and doing are two different things. :nyah:

23. tobyd

tobyd there can be only studio one

That Big Railroad Blues smokes! The first set was better than the second I thought. Opposite the next night with a spirited SF..

24. US Blues

Happy Birthday to Rick Griffin, artist extraordinaire.

25. Six Bachelors

The first set of 15 November '71 is a killer. The Dark Star>El Paso>Dark Star proves that not every decision to go into El Paso from Dark Star warrants disappointment. Bob pushes them there but they resist and he only gets them there three or four minutes later. I really recommend everyone give this Star a listen - the will they/won't they transition that takes those few minutes at the end of the first part of the Star is what this band, at that time, was all about it. It is a heated conversation, not an argument, with all of them trying to have their say. Ultimately Bob wins the day but not without a frank exchange of views. Wonderful stuff.