The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I’m sure you’re right, it was my 2nd time getting those discs out since I got them last summer so I was just freeballin the dates to the best of my memory; probably wouldn’t matter, though, even if it’d been my tenth, remembering dates has never been a strong suit. Anyways, if so, I only missed one out of three and that ain’t half bad (I mean, literally, because it is only one-third bad).

2. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

I have an empty 30 Trips box that I'm trying to fill with essential officially released GD. It has expanded to two boxes, truth be told, but the exercise got me thinking.

What would a best of officially released 30 Trips box look like?

This would be whole shows released on disc. No Download series, no compilations.

I came up with this...

1966: 30 Trips Fillmore West, San Francisco 07-03-1966
    1967: 30 Trips Shrine Auditorium, L.A. 11-10-1967
    1968: Road Trips V2: N2 Carousel Ballroom 02-14-1968
    1969: Fillmore West 03-01-1969
    1970: Dick’s Pick 8 Harpur College, Binghamton, N.Y. 05-02-1970
    1971: Road Trips V3: N2 Memorial Auditorium Austin, Tx. 11-15-1971
    1972: Dick’s Pick 36 Spectrum Philadelphia, Pa. 09-21-1972
    1973: Dave’s Pick 5 UCLA Los Angeles, Ca. 11-17-1973
    1974: Pacific Northwest Memorial Coliseum Portland, Or. 5-19-1974
    1975: OFTV Great American Music Hall San Francisco, Ca. 8-13-1975
    1976: ????
    1977: GSTL Memorial Auditorium Buffalo, NY. 05-09-1977
    1978: Dave’s Pick 23 McArthur Court Eugene, Or. 01-22-1978
    1979: 30 Trips: Cape Cod Coliseum South Yarmouth, Ma. 10-27-1979
    1980: 30 Trips: Fox Theatre Atlanta, Ga. 11-30-1980
    1981: Dick’s Pick 13 Nassau Coliseum Uniondale, N.Y. 05-06-1981
    1982: 30 Trips: Manor Downs, Austin, TX. 07-31-1982
    1983: ???
    1984: 30 Trips: Civic center Augusta, ME. 10-12-1984
    1985: Dick’s Pick 21 Coliseum Richmond, Va. 11-01-1985
    1986: ????
    1987: 30 Trips: Madison Square Garden, New York, NY. 09-18-1987
    1988: 30 Trips: Oxford Plains Speedway, Oxford, ME. 07-03-1988
    1989: NFOD Brenden Byrne Arena, East Rutherford, NJ. 10-16-1989
    1990: Spring 90: Copps Coliseum Hamilton, Ontario. 03-22-1990
    1991: VFTV2 RFK Stadium Washington, DC. 06-14-1991
    1992: Dick’s Pick 27 Coliseum Oakland, Ca. 12-16-1992
    1993: 30 Trips: Knickerbocker Arena Albany, N.Y. 03-27-1993
    1994: 30 Trips Boston Garden Boston, Ma. 10-01-1994
    1995: 30 Trips Delta Center Salt Lake City, Ut. 02-21-1995

Bunch of tough choices. 1971 was a coin flip.
    1973 was rough. 11-11-73 might be better, but that UCLA show is sublime.
    1974 doesn't have many complete shows.
    1977 has too many solid shows.
    1-22-78 isn't really representative of 1978 as a whole.
    10-27-1979 might not be better than 12-26 or 12-28-79
    I think there are better-unreleased shows from 80-82.
    3-27-1988 might be better than 7-3-88, but not a physical release.
    They need to release 6-23-90.

3. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

17 July 1976 is the one you're missing.

19 May 1974 has not been released yet. This leaves 24 February and 14 May in a dogfight.

4. US Blues

Well done Brother! :righton:

Matthew Tate and warewolf95 like this.
  5. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

April 28, 2016: "I'm listening to the '79 30 Trips show. I'm in the first set and the Bobby tunes are carrying the proceedings.

Ooooo, sudden conversion to aud. tape during the Minglewood Brent solo. Finally some Hammond! Before that Brent is sticking to electric piano--the Plinkmaster 8000, I believe.

Anyway, next time you listen to "Easy To Love You", imagine Michael McDonald singing it. It totally works. For me, anyway.

OK, gotta pay attention to Jerry's "Stagger Lee"..."

Listening to the '79 30 Trips show so I'm reposting my 2016 review of same. I will add that the Plinkmaster is well-suited to Easy To Love you, and really nothing else unless you're into plink tones.

I'm a big fan of Saint>Sailor though.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  6. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Now listening to 12/8/89[Great Western Forum Inglewood California]on SiriusXM's Grateful Dead channel.......now playing Franklin's Tower

7. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I’ve still barely listened to anything much from beyond ‘79 but, from the little I’ve heard thus far, I’ve really enjoyed Saint > Sailor.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    ianuaditis likes this.
  8. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Griping aside, I am completely beside myself at the thought of having that Portland 74 show in vinyl...and getting it for nearly $60 less than the dead.net price has me giddy.

9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I was there too, and remember there being a few mistakes throughout the show, despite it being a fun and unusual setlist (6 potential first set openers in the first set). They bounced back hard the next night, which as I often mentioned is one of my favorites that I attended. I saw the other '89 Saint, which was at The Mecca in Milwaukee, and was my first one live. I was excited to hear it again at Shoreline, and a second set Cumberland was always welcome.

budwhite, jazz_case and wavethatflag like this.
  10. US Blues

20 June 1974- The Omni, Hot Lanta, has a great second set of music, yet it is a full step or two behind in sound quality. The cassette generation(s) is sub-optimal.

11. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Dicks Picks Vol. 18 for 1978. Disc Two and Three are the schhhhnizzle.

jv66, Matthew Tate, adamos and 7 others like this.
  12. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I'll be onto it soon. First up, though, is speed correcting the Alligator Jam>Caution>Feedback, Midnight Hour on Road Trips Vol. 2 No. 2.

Edit - Eeeek. It's worse than I thought. From 12:14 in Spanish Jam through to 12:00 in Alligator is from an inferior (non multi-track source) which sounds like it runs slow. I hadn't noticed that that before (and now I'll never be able to forget it unless I fix it.) Then from 12:00 to 12:47 is the multi-track source again that is pitched a fraction higher (which suggests that the bulk of Alligator is off-speed). At 12:47 the source returns to an inferior source, which is clearly much slower (and lower) than the 12:00-12:47 source.

So, looks like the job is 1. increase the speed (pitch) of the 12:14 Spanish Jam to 12:00 Alligator section to match the pitch of the 12:00-12:47 Alligator section, and then 2. increase the speed (pitch) of the 12:47 Alligator to end of show section.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  13. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

Share the deal. Where did you purchase it?

14. Six Bachelors

You're welcome to buy my Formerly The Warlocks box, currently on eBay....:agree:

Dark_Star72 likes this.
  15. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

1-22-78 I'm interested in why that's not representative of 78 as a whole?

It's kind of amazing how for so many years the 30 trips box is it. I'd recommend 4-20-83 in Providence for release, but obviously the sources from those years aren't up to snuff

16. Six Bachelors

Yikes. It's worse still.

The beginning 2:10 of Alligator (and I suspect the end of the Spanish Jam track) seems to be yet another source running at a different speed from the Alligator from there until 12:00. This release is amateur hour.

I wonder if there are three sources for this second set - the multi-track, a stereo board and an FM recording.

Edit - the beginning of Alligator is totally off-speed from 2:10 onwards.

bzfgt and ianuaditis like this.
  17. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

[​IMG]
    Dick's 22.
    Disc 2. Alligator>China Cat>11>Alligator>Caution. More Sunset Sherbet, please. :tiphat::winkgrin::pineapple:

This China Cat is in a different key from where it found it's home. 2 steps lower, perhaps. Or the tape is two steps slow. I don't think so, because the 11 sounds normal. China Cat's still fiery, and Jerry drives the transition to The Eleven, which is also fiery. A little more than 3 weeks until the Anthem 50th so I will be powering through some 1968 in the meantime. It is almost always thrilling. The same 12 songs (or so) played in amazingly varied ways. I'm not always in the mood for it, but it's perfect tonight.

18. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I listened to that earlier today! I usually will put a star and some notes on the highlights, but for the older shows I frequently don't even bother, the whole thing is a highlight! It's crazy how they sustained that energy and intensity, and their sound is so unlike what they became, and yet the seeds of it are still there.

Anyway, I just checked it out, on this recording China Cat is in the key of E (rather than its usual G) a minor third low (or a step and a half, if you prefer.) This makes sense coming out of the ending of Dark Star (featuring A mixolydian mode,) and going into the Eleven. The jam into the Eleven is in B (this is so even when paired with St. Stephen later on,) and the closing jam of China Cat goes out on the 5th of the scale, in this case B (whereas when the song is in G it goes out on D, the same key as I Know You Rider.)

When they changed the key of China Cat in 1969, they kept the solo in the original key of E, adding some tension and interest to that part of the tune.

19. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I changed my avatar. Do not be alarmed.

20. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Perhaps we’re finding out why they don’t always fix these things. Seems like a time/cost/benefit analysis situation

21. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

DiP22 is a Beast! And kinda mental that one of the best sounding and transparent Dick's Pick is an vintage Feb 1968 show.

22. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Grateful Dead Live at The Ark on 1969-04-23

Set 1

Introduction
    He Was A Friend Of Mine
    Dark Star ->
    St. Stephen ->
    It's A Sin ->
    St. Stephen ->
    Cryptical Envelopment ->
    Drums ->
    The Other One ->
    Cryptical Envelopment ->
    Sittin On Top Of The World ->
    Turn On Your Love Light

Set 2

Morning Dew
    Hard To Handle
    Doin' That Rag
    Alligator ->
    Drums ->
    drummer's chant ->
    Jam ->
    The Eleven ->
    Jam ->
    Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks) ->
    Feedback ->
    And We Bid You Good Night

Encore

Not Fade Away tease
    It's All Over Now Baby Blue

23. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

If one has the original master tapes, this is the type of problem Plangent can fix almost perfectly.

24. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Everything on this release is off, and by different amounts (I think disc one is a pretty constant correction, though). IIRC, Midnight Hour is a different speed (tape source) than the end of Feedback, but I don’t remember exactly where the change occurs

ralphk, Crispy Rob and Six Bachelors like this.
  25. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Yep. Phil really took the music "further" with his bands. His projects generally paid homage and respect to the music, and is usually fun to hear. I have seen a bunch of Phil shows over the years, mostly in the 98-04 window. I saw Ratdog a few times, never really did anything for me.