The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

The Jan-February Winter 1978 tour reminds more of Fall 77 GD, than it does shows from April 78 or the summer tour.

Of course, I also see 1-22-78 as a singular Grateful Dead show. A universe unto itself.

2. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

‘70 is just plain ol’ fun. Listened to some more of the Jan 2, 70 and now checking out the little bit of Feb 2, 70 available on Relisten. From my limited knowledge of the official releases I can only think of 4 or 5 with shows from 70 (2 Dick’s; 2 Dave’s; and Bear’s Choice, which has more of the Feb ‘70 shows on DiP4). I have the 2 DiPs but not the others. This little bit of 2-2-70, which is on Dave’s 6, is sounding pretty darn good, too bad it’s only a small portion.

3. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

For me the January - February 1978 Tour has it's own feel. I believe that Jerry's bout of laryngitis at the beginning of the Tour is a big factor, because of how it thrust Bobby and Donna into the vocal spotlight, while Jerry had to give attention to just playing. The shows after Eugene in Chicago and the Upper Midwest also differ from the Cali shows in January, and feel "of a piece." All of this is, of course, my own personal hallucination. And you are free to join in the fun!

Mansley, ianuaditis, trd and 5 others like this.
  4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

In April 1978 they started doing those long Drums segments every night.

budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
  5. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Pretty sure that was Jerry's idea. For reasons.

Silver1973 likes this.
  6. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I thought it was because the drummers got a bunch of equipment and a commission for Apocalypse Now in that or the reverse order and wanted to keep doing it from there.

7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

That was in 1979, I think.

US Blues likes this.
  8. bzfgt

Oh, maybe it was the heron then.

US Blues likes this.
  9. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Locked and loaded.

10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

It has occured to me that Jerry liked the 20 minute break from playing guitar in those spring 78 sets. Although he was usually joining in the drumming.

ianuaditis likes this.
  11. US Blues

Pretty much.

bzfgt likes this.
  12. US Blues

In 1979 Mickey added the Beast, the big drums hanging from the ring, and the Beam. In April '78 there was an increase in the percussion array over what had been onstage.

ianuaditis likes this.
  13. US Blues

I do not recall ever seeing a heron onstage, there was an electronic parakeet in a cage towards the rear of stage left behind and to the side of Mickey. Occasionally one of the crew would turn it on during drums or space and we'd hear electronic chirping through the PA.

14. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

15. US Blues

The China > Rider transition jam.

16. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Awwww man, it needs a better name.

17. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

Depends on which jam you are talking about. The Bobby-led jam from about 4 minutes to 6 minutes doesn't really have a name, it's the China->Rider transition jam. If you're talking about the descending riff jam from about 7:30 to 8:45, that's commonly known as the "Feelin' Groovy Jam."
    Grateful Dead Guide: The Dead's Early Thematic Jams

18. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

So, I have what I guess is a usability issue. Maybe one of you guys can help me out. I keep missing alerts because I sometimes miss that message that says There may be more posts after this. It's not bolded. Which is my point. That's the last message you will see from a very active thread, unless you are telepathic. Well, that's another issue. But is this a known thing and is there a solution or suggested workaround? I hope it's not just me.

19. bzfgt

Well, I'm not much of an ornithologist...

Silver1973 and US Blues like this.
  20. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I know an ornithologist. He says it's for the birds.

21. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Suggested workaround is to use the Watched Threads feature - it’s on the 2nd bar - it lists everything you haven’t read and are “watching” (ie ever commented on or clicked watch thread)

22. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Ah yes! It all comes back to me now. Thanks for the heads up.

US Blues and SBegonias17 like this.
  23. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I second that emotion @scribbs . I use the Watched Threads page like my homepage here; makes it easy to keep up with the threads I’m actively following.

Billy_Sunday, scribbs and SBegonias17 like this.
  24. bzfgt

Whoa! That's revolutionary. I keep getting kicked off notifications for threads and forgetting them....when that happens with this thread, sometimes I wind up 5 pages behind.

25. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Yeah, I recall a few other people commenting on the issue but nothing about what I should be looking at (I had been away from the site for quite some time).

bzfgt and US Blues like this.