The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Just one like for my joke? Wow, tough crowd, Bobby.

ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  2. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I know this may belong elsewhere, but anyway, here's Lene doing my favorite song of hers.

mw1917, Spinning wheel and US Blues like this.
  3. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I use the Watched Threads tab almost exclusively. And then I'll check the general Music Forum for any news that I may not pick up otherwise, like so and so left us for a better place on higher ground, or what have you.

DrLunchbox and SBegonias17 like this.
  4. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I was going to post Seastones as an example in the 'weird LPs or albums' thread, and i had pulled it up on Youtube.

Then I sat down at the computer to log into this, and to do that I had to minimize the window my wife had open and maximize mine.

After about 30 seconds I'm saying to myself 'what the hell is that sound? Is the washing machine off balance or something?'

Turns out Seastones had started playing without me realizing it.

5. Dark_Star72

Dark_Star72 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

First foray into Grateful Dead cds! Pretty happy with the pickups (the Dave's Picks even had the bonus disc). Will probably snatch up the July 78 box set soon as well. Amoeba had such a huge selection (even had the Winterland and Formerly the Warlock boxes)!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2018
  6. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Well, that's a ringing endorsement for a piece of music if I've ever read one. :winkgrin:

[​IMG]

Chosen somewhat at random. Going mostly for the jams. A 28 minute TIFTOO, and Dark Star>Sitting On Top Of The World>Dark Star.

Then back to 1968 for 12/29/68 from the Miami Pop Festival. Lovelight, Dark Star > St.Stephen > The Eleven > Cryptical Envelopment > Drums > The Other One > Cryptical Envelopment > Feedback > We Bid You Goodnight. Short and to the point. Great reviews on the archive for this one, so I'm in.

7. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Whoa, Jan 17, 1970 - Oregon State, that’s what I’m talking about. I was just going to have a nice quiet jam on High Time before going to sleep, but I didn’t stop it in time before Dark Star started. Next thing I know it’s a Dark Star > Steven > 11 > Lovelight later, I was pinned to my seat, and now I’m all :faint:. Some of the tunes on this show have some gaps and drop outs, but if this were somehow to pop up on an official release in complete form with killer sound...:pineapple:. They get into this little jam in the > to 11 and my mind is going :yikes: when the tape drops out for about five seconds and it picks back up right as it transitions fully to the 11 riff. I’m thinking what happened in that gap? was it just a few seconds, or a minute or more? I don’t know, but what I do know is that in this case it had to’ve been magic because they were definitely spewing lighting. Also, the Dark Star, following a rather brief Feelin Groovy jam they start to get back towards the main theme of the tune and I’m expecting the second verse, instead this jam of the most glorious intensity ensues. I look forward to giving it another listen and I’m thinking this is the most exciting new (meaning unheard by me) Dark Star I’ve heard recently.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  8. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

So....

Then...

A couple of weeks into the year, I guess that you've finally realized that 1970 is THE year for Grateful Dead music?

:thumbsup:

Mansley, Crispy Rob, RockRoom and 7 others like this.
  9. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Thanks. Nothing like at little Lene first thing in the morning.

10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

One of my top Dave's Picks. A beaut.

Crispy Rob, LucaB and Six Bachelors like this.
  11. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

So sometimes I actually listen to Grateful Dead rather than just editing it or changing the speed of the playback.

I’m not yet sure whether I rate it more highly than Road Trips 3.2/15 November ‘71 but Dave’s Picks Vol. 26/17 November ‘71 is setting my skull on fire at the moment. There is something magical about the jamming on these two shows - the transitions, the ideas, the development of the ideas, the timing, the musical discourse, whatever it is. They sound so excited to be playing but there is an added efficiency compared with the October shows.

12. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

I found my notes and I did not do anything nearly as involved as you did. I only adjusted from one of the obvious patches in the Alligator jam thru Feedback and, of course, Midnight Hour. I was confusing this with the adjusting I did on the old circulating sources, not the RT.

I am not a musician so I don't have the "play along" problem to deal with.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  13. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

So I have a sickness and I may need help!!! Trying to complete my road trip series , I dropped $285 on RT 4.2 April '88, 4.3 Denver '72, 4.4 '82 Philly Spectrum, and 4.5 Boston '76.

All original but no bonus discs which I can live with. Figured I didn't want the real gone reissues at 40-50 per release when for just a little more I could get the original pressing. Plus those little cardboard spines look nice all lined up on the shelf.

Last one remaining is cal expo from 93 I think. But those go for crazy town prices.

1st time I've paid more than retail for any of the RTs. Funny, but I remember when they were all available from dead.net. I would pick up a couple every three or four months, from what I believed to be the best of the series (73 notwithstanding). Then, with no warning they all started quickly disappearing from the store.

Glad i got as many as i did several years ago.

14. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Been listening to quite a few versions of PITB that are new to me. These jams are almost all scintillating on some level or another and some of these performances are jaw dropping. Plus I did this listening among other portions of these shows along with very high intensity freely improvised music to give the musicianship and quality of playing by the Dead some context.

5/12/77 Sandwich with Drums, NFA & Comes a Time inside
    5/17/77 Sandwich with Drums & Wharf Rat inside
    11/15/72 - amazing incredible 30:57 version with teases and threats to go back to the theme as early as 17–18 minutes - I guess I need to check out the 11/18/72 version
    9/28/72 - great 20 minute version

Up next first listen to the 11/30/80 version with only the front end that goes into Drums>Space>Wheel>China Doll, etc.

15. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Curtis Hixon Convention Hall
    Tampa, FL
    12-19-73
    3 CD

Charlie Miller : transfer/master

[​IMG]

16. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

>*

US Blues, ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  17. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

25 years ago.....

Deer Creek Music Center
    Noblesville, IN
    6/22/93

I prefer the Mr. Darby audience recording.

One:
    Help On The Way > Slipknot! > Franklin's Tower > Wang Dang Doodle ; High Time ; It's All Over Now ; Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues ; Tennessee Jed ; Picasso Moon

Two:
    Victim Or The Crime > Crazy Fingers > Looks Like Rain > He's Gone > Drums > Space > I Need A Miracle > Days Between > Johnny B. Goode E: Liberty

Recordings Multiple Audience Masters. SBD of whole show circulates.
    Master recording source(s): 3700 DAT Master
    Download/Listen Sources
    Contributors John Fulton ([email protected]), Ryan Shriver ([email protected]), Hanno Bunjes ([email protected])
    Caretaker John Fulton email update

Crispy Rob, trd, adamos and 1 other person like this.
  18. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Another aside....

The 12+ minute Nobody’s Fault Jam out of Truckin’ from 6/16/74 found on the Bonus Disc of RT 2.3 is among the greatest segments of music the boys ever played.

Now in the middle of another classic longer sequence:

From Aarhus 4/16/72

Truckin’>Jam>TOO>MAMU>TOO>NFA>GDTRFB

As many here know very unique in the annals of the band.

Phil Zone deluxe. Did his bass ever sound better than at this show? Smallest venue of the tour. Like a large cafeterias.

Mansley, budwhite, US Blues and 5 others like this.
  19. ianuaditis

I read an article about 1-22-78 that claimed that show was when the 2nd set drum break was first implemented. I don't agree with that either, I think it was more like April when they really started doing it most nights, and I feel like it didn't really become an institution until 79.

They did those massive drum breaks on the tours in the spring, but then they got a lot shorter later in the year. And then around and after Egypt, they did Ollin Arageed or the drums from that in basically every show, which probably helped further cement the whole 'long percussion set where the guitars come back at the end.' concept.

Was it unheard of for band members to leave the stage during a long and crazy jam, or during extended drum solos before those became an institutionalized part of the format?
    Set and Setting, man. You have to be prepared for that kind of craziness in order for it to be intelligible I think. The music of the spheres!

20. ianuaditis

21. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Nice read, but this passage: "The band’s latest additions, pianist Keith Godchaux and his vocalist wife Donna, were superfans who became Dead members...." is a bit off. Keith had no idea who the Dead were and Donna had heard of them but was not a "superfan".
    This bit about Courtney Love is interesting: "The Dead Heads had been around ever since Hank Harrison (father of Courtney Love) coined the phrase on the 1971 double live album Skull And Roses...."
    Had no idea her dad was the 1st "Deadhead".

budwhite and ianuaditis like this.
  22. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I really like Brent's spacey work on "Space" in the 30 Trips '80 show. Donna is missed by me on Sugar Mag though. Jerry is now closing things out with the U.S. Blues, which I've had for a while now.

budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
  23. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

In fact, Donna has said she and Keith were serious Dead fans before they joined.

24. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

I though Keith didn't know about the Dead, he was playing jazz or something like that, and was not in the Dead type scene. Donna was doing backing vocals at Muscle Shoals and wasn't into the Dead but had heard of them. Anyway, they were huge in helping the Dead become stadium draws.

25. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

She said they were listening to the Dead one day and Keith said "I'm tired of listening to them, I want to play with them!" so she sought out Jerry next time she was at a show. That might be from that recent movie.

US Blues and trd like this.