The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

As recently posted in the Phish thread, I was front row at that venue on 10.31.94. Good place to be for any band.

2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

In an interview with Blair Jackson in the 80's, Donna said that she moved to California, saw the Dead at Winterland and was blown away, and that she and Keith and other friends of theirs were major Dead fans. Then, as you say, Keith decided he wanted to join the band and Donna introduced herself to Jerry at a bar gig he played.

3. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I concur. Keith and Donna were Deadheads before they joined.

4. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Always thought Keith & Donna at least being aware of/fans of the GoGD before joining was fairly common knowledge.

US Blues likes this.
  5. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Will no one reassure me that this was a completelt rationale and sane decision? Or that i that obtained these at a most excellent price, a stealie if you will!

:angel:

adamos, KCWhistle and ianuaditis like this.
  6. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Indeed! well-done. (As long as you don't mean $285 each, that is.)

7. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Working on yr retail GoGD collection is never a bad move. Congrats. But you are gonna miss those Bonus Discs. :confused: :targettiphat: :targettiphat::targettiphat: :confused:
    Def worth tracking those down.

warewolf95 and KCWhistle like this.
  8. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

In five years you won't know the difference from if you'd spent 30 bucks less, but you'll still have the music.

9. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Thx! Bonus disc hunting is a dangerous game! Lol.

Plenty of DPs to seek out in the mean time. I'm not seeking a complete collection of those....at least not yet. Have about 10 DPs picked up mostly in used shops.

10. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

7/3/78 from the Complete July 1978 Box. That was the best “Scarlet Begonias” I have ever heard.

11. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

IWT - I have vivid memories of Space that night, it was kinda freaky and the whole stage looked and felt like some weird giant machine. However I just relistened to it and it wasn’t all that freaky; perhaps it was something I ate.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  12. Dark_Star72

Dark_Star72 Forum Resident

If you are ever out in LA check out Amoeba records. Went there last night and got the cds I posted a few pages back (one of which was Dave's Pick's Vol. 18 w/ Bonus Disc). They had a ton of other Dave's / Dick's Picks and Road Trips for sale. Thankfully I traded a lot of older stuff in and Vol. 18 w/ the bonus disc was only $55.

Mansley, ianuaditis, US Blues and 4 others like this.
  13. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I'm pretty sure that Donna singing on a hit song by Elvis made Jerry's mouth water.

14. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

So after listening to a 4 and a half hour Phish gig, i leave Starbucks and hit Publix.

Met a guy with a Miami 2017 Dead and Co shirt on. Struck up a conversation for a few minutes.

And with that jist another reminder of where it all comes from. The circle will remain unbroken!

:)

15. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

78 was a great year for Scarlet->Fire.

adamos, budwhite, bzfgt and 6 others like this.
  16. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

Listened to Dave's Pick 5 again...

It is still exquisite.

[​IMG]

Mansley, Doggiedogma, adamos and 7 others like this.
  17. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I’ve got the 10/22/78 Scarlet>Fire Ready to Go for tomorrow

18. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

So true. Many is the time I’ve relied on this logic. :shh:

mmthmj, unravelled, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  19. trd

trd Forum Resident

Taking my new Massdrop Sennheiser 6xx headphones out for a test drive. Currently 7/14/90 FOB Schoeps mk2. Phil sounding good on this opening Shakedown.

I have a soft spot for omni mic recordings. My favorite setting when I had my Neumann u89s. There’s no low end like an Omni mic low end and the Senns are sounding quite nice. My first semi series foray into headphones.

Edit: biiiiig sonic transition as I jumped into 7/7/78 Jack Straw from the boxset. Ok, I can see headphones are going to be fun. It’s like mainlining Wolf

20. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

The wife will remember, though, and bring it up sometime in the future.

Speaking of 1978, I'm cranking up 6/25/78 Autzen Stadium-Eugene OR on Sunday for its 40th birthday, like I did three weeks ago with 6/4/78. This one is even more over the top than the earlier one. One reviewer said both Jerry and Bob were playing Ibanez Musician guitars that day:

Jerry and Bob Weir are playing Ibanez Musicians, MC 500 models, Ibanez' Alembic copy. Ibanez wanted Garcia to play thier guitars and produced this model specifically for JG, unfortunately he didn't exactly fall in love with the guitar, he stated that it was too heavy but possibly just didn't like it. If it sounds like he's beating on it he probably is, putting it through it's paces and seeing how much abuse it can take. Those guitars are built very solid and heavy.

He was back on Wolf for the July shows, so perhaps 6/25 was a one-time thing on the custom Ibanez.

I hope my neighbors will enjoy this show as much as I will. :evil: It will be loud, and on a warm day the window will be open. The Grateful Dead, Santana and Eddie Money (!) played that day. It was a benefit for something.

Not my ticket; I didn't go.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

7/14/90 Foxboro was the last time I saw Brent. Pretty good show but we were remarking how terrible he looked whenever there were closeups of him on the screen. The screaming baby doll on the screens during Space made me kind of glad not to be too out there that night.

22. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

23. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

The Flaming Lips have shown similar things on the screen during their shows.

Crispy Rob, trd and warewolf95 like this.
  24. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Absolutely.

RockRoom likes this.
  25. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I don't remember that, but I was pretty close to the stage and don't remember the screens maybe because of that. Last time I saw him was two days later in Buffalo...