The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

While we're at it... This is a good one!

2. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I always use the Relisten app on my phone, but I’ve never used the website (if there even is one). It definitely seems easier to browse than any of the sites I’ve looked at personally today, although I’ve only been using my phone for browsing and it is not uncommon to find that the desktop version of a website is easier to use than the mobile version. In my case, I was hoping to download a lossless flac file of the 2/13&14/70 shows that I could then convert to Apple Lossless. If Relisten offers flac for downloads (which I figured it was just mp3s I’ve been streaming there) I’d be happy to just use it.

Archtop likes this.
  3. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

So this was 22 June 1974, the first set ended with Playing In The Band. :agree:

Jack Cerro and bzfgt like this.
  4. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

I need a good editor and a good deal more skill.

I saw the Dead in Miami 10-26-89. There was something off about the place, something hostile just beneath the surface. Actually, to be honest, it was pretty well manifest.
    Then in 2003, I worked on an archaeological dig in downtown Miami. We started uncovering all these native burials under the streets and parking lots. Some were at least partially intact, mass ossuary burials beneath the ruins of Miami's first hotel, The Royal Palm. The soil used to landscape the grounds came from a large burial mound that was leveled when the hotel was built. It blocked the view from the veranda, don't-cha know. True story. So they pulled out the burials, took a few keepsake skulls, and then tossed the rest of the larger bones in a forgotten pit somewhere relatively close. The rest of the soil they spread in the gardens around the hotel.

So it was a luxury hotel built on a graveyard, landscaped with small bits of human remains spread out amongst animal bones and pottery, and shell tools and all the other detritus.

5. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Y'see, I may be an oddball, but I use my phone as a phone. :) I have five other sound reproduction systems here, but the one I use most is my computer with Bose QuietComfort 15 'phones (that are probably much better than anyone who hasn't heard them may claim). And, for the record, the sound on my phone is pretty good using these same headphones, but it's better on my computer/music room stereo; maybe 'bigger" is the word I need here.

In any case, of course Relisten has a website. This is the GoGD-specific site: Relisten

Relisten as a whole is here: Relisten

But it is live streaming; no downloads that I know of (but you can access virtually any show in less than 10 seconds). I don't really need downloads. I've got more music in this house than I can listen to in 20 years. And I took one look at the url for that b.e.tree.??? site and thought: I'm going to hate this. I went there and indeed did. I'd rather sight-read a Zappa bass part in front of 5,000 people than try to understand what's going on there.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Billy_Sunday, bzfgt and wavethatflag like this.
  6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

In the early 2000's, sites like that were basically the only game in town (other than setting up trades) so I got used to them. For someone coming into all of this more recently, if you can live without having the files saved to your hard drive, you don't need them.

Archtop likes this.
  7. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Honestly, I'd have nowhere to put them. As it is, I need an external hard drive or two just to back up what I have. I mean, I have all the CDs, so that's the ultimate backup, but I've rather gotten fond of jumping here and there on MediaPlayer (even if it does kind of suck).

ianuaditis likes this.
  8. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I’ve only had time so far to listen to disc 8 and Dark Star > Eyes > China Doll from disc 9 of the 11-11-73 show in the Winterland box but it is already looking very likely that this will be my favorite Dead box yet out of the ones I have (Sunshine Daydream, GSTL, and 7/78).

laf848, Crispy Rob, jcure and 7 others like this.
  9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

The best of 82, IMHO.

RockRoom and bzfgt like this.
  10. jv66

jv66 Estimated Dead Prophet

The Deadhead Archive app for Google is what I prefer to use since Relisten on Sonos (not sure on standalone but must be the same I imagine) simply doesn't even have close to as many shows as the archive, on top of having different sources for most shows... I might be doing something wrong on Relisten if that's not the case which is probable btw...:rolleyes:

Archtop likes this.
  11. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

New source for 6.18.83 has just hit the wires. Not without flaws but as the pickins for that date are rather slim, and there is a notable Morning Dew performed that night, it may be worth seeking out.

New source to circulation
    Show/Hide Description

Grateful Dead
    Date 1983-06-18
    Saratoga Performing Arts Center
    Saratoga Springs NY

Set 1:
    d1t01 - Intro
    d1t02 - Bertha ->
    d1t03 - Jack Straw
    d1t04 - Bird Song /
    d1t05 - Mexicali Blues ->
    d1t06 - Big River **
    d1t07 - Althea ** /
    d1t08 - Hell In A Bucket
    d1t09 - Deal

Set 2:
    d2t01 - Tuning
    d2t02 - Scarlet Begonias # ^ -> Fire On The Mountain
    d2t03 - Playing In The Band ->
    d2t04 - Space> Drums -> //!
    d3t01 - Space -> The Wheel -> &
    d3t02 - Playing In The Band ->
    d3t03 - Morning Dew ->
    d3t04 - Throwing Stones ->
    d3t05 - Not Fade Away -> ///
    d3t06 - Touch Of Grey
    d3t07 - Encore break
    d3t08 - Don't Ease Me In ->
    d3t09 - One More Saturday Night

show notes
    Very unique segue between Morning Dew and Throwing Stones.

Recording Notes
    ** on Master we overtaped from 1/3 through Big River until end Althea by putting side A tape 1 in deck rather than side B at the tape swap between Throwing Stones and Not Fade Away. Fortunately, we had several patchers and the first in line, Sony TCD5M had the clean copy so the Big River|Althea is 1st gen.
    / paused between songs while band tuned
    # Something changes at 2:38 a speaker or amp blows then they crank it up.
    ^ 7:38 they pop white noise through the PA twice
    //! missing most of drums and some space- deck must have shut off without us noticing.
    & Another wild change in volume as the vocals get much louder
    /// Tape swap; fade out at start of Touch of Grey, missed about 10 seconds

Our location was directly in front of one repeater stack consisting of 2 Meyer UPA1's. At some point (#) the vocals got overdriven in that stack, maybe one amp blew, but the vocal sound is oddly overdriven while the rest of the sound is not. We have been led to believe the PA system's repeater delay stacks must have malfunctioned during most of this second set.

12. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

I went straight to the meat: the Playin' reprise > Morning Dew.

Actually quite the enjoyable listen. Pretty sure @Archtop would approve. Phil's bombs are pretty well represented.

13. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I think that when I tried to relisten, it didn't give me the source I was looking for, so I clicked the 'view on archive.org' button on the bottom right, found the source I wanted there, and never looked back. (looks like I completely missed the 'select source' button on the top right.)

The relisten interface is less clunky, but having learned the archive's quirks, it's home now, and I can find exactly what I want.

Billy_Sunday and Archtop like this.
  14. ianuaditis

I love Dark Star, and I wouldve gone to that first myself, but disc 5 is the can't miss of that set, IMO.

I listened to 11-10 last night, the first of 3 appearances of the Palindrome.

I don't think its causing any controversy to call it Essential Grateful Dead listening.

15. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

The standalone PiTB from the 9th is if anything even better. I think it's better than the 'drome, anyway...

ianuaditis likes this.
  16. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

17. spinyn

spinyn Senior Member

I watched a couple of Phil's recent webcasts from Terrapin Crossing. The first one on the Friday night with Jr. Mack from Jaimoe's band was a good one with lots of solid blues. I was really looking forward to the Sunday night with Luther Dickinson and Anders Osborne. Being from NOLA, that was a great lineup with three of my favs, Luther, Anders and Phil.

While it had its moments (a gorgeous "Friend Of The Devil" sung by Anders, a groovy "New Speedway"), the show was also plagued, for me, but a lot of confusion over song structure. In particular, they seemed to struggle with the "turnarounds"...what happens at the end of a verse/chorus before the song starts back up again. They were often not on the same page and it resulted in some real momentum killing clumsiness for me.

I have been in that situation as a player, playing with people you don't regularly play with doing songs you haven't rehearsed, and I guess my ears are so used to figuring out song structures, I may be overly sensitive to it, I'll admit. But something was off. They had to abandon "The Other One" because they never settled into the groove and Phil seemed to interject the vocals kinda randomly. It was not good... And the "Morning Dew" toward the end was a trainwreck. Garcia plays a little tag at the end of each verse on the 1st album version and Phil seemed to want that to be played. But the band ignored it and started the song back up without playing that section. The result was "The One" kept shifting. I had to turn it off at that point, it was making me dizzy.

Such is what can happen with players who don't play with each other regularly, even the pros.

18. ianuaditis

Both of them feature excellent work from Phil. I thought the 9th was the better show overall.

Meantime, I put on 8-19-91, notable for the first Dark Star in set 1 since 1971. That's nice enough, and I love what Hornsby plays in Dark Star in this period, but the real story of this show is the Scarlet>Victim>Fire in set 2. Hornsby leads the way again, throwing out the Scarlet Begonias ending riff with some flattened notes to start the unexpected transition. Victim doesn't have its usual fiery ending, instead Garcia purposely keeps it a bit spacier, to achieve the transition to a pulsating Fire on the Mountain. The rest of the set is well-played, with Hornsby frequently seizing the reigns.

19. Monroro

Monroro Forum Resident

One of my all time favorite shows. What's Phil's deal with it?

Also, the non-official matrix I have of it sounds great.

ianuaditis likes this.
  20. ianuaditis

Phil nixed a lot of stuff in the early days, I believe. Definitely made Dick cut out the bass solo from 12-19-73.

I understand looking at your past work with a critical eye, but I'm glad they allowed the archive series to go into the hands of people with a fan's perspective and not the artist's.

21. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Phil needs to chill and let the Dead Heads & Vault archivists speak.

22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

It's okay now. Around mid 1994 Dick convinced the band to forgo its veto power and let him put out what he wanted in order to fight the rise of bootleg CDs. For whatever reason, they still haven't come back to the full 6/23/74 but they did put that excerpt on the So Many Roads box.

23. ishkabibble

ishkabibble Forum Resident

I think you got your 6 upside-down - the show was August 16, 1991.

ianuaditis, Crispy Rob and jazz_case like this.
  24. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Then I clicked the Lee Ranaldo thing from there and got a warning again. Crap. Best to avoid.

ianuaditis and Panama Hotel like this.
  25. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

DaP27 is so wide open to speculation now. As Dave's sweet spot mid-70's show is soon for release with the Bent Box. It's gonna be an 80's or 60's show. I really can't see a 90's show for some reason.

SBegonias17 likes this.