The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. sami

sami Mono still rules

2. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    A very worthy show to kick off the sublime Dave's Pick series and a Top 5 May '77 show definitely!

3. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

From the 'we are everywhere' department:

I was watching a news program a few days ago, and the guest talking head for that segment was a longtime conservative pundit, a retired military officer, who used the phrase 'keep on truckin' during one of his answers.

The host said 'I didn't expect to hear you answer in the words of Eddie Kendricks,' and the guest replied 'Come on man, Truckin.' Grateful Dead!'

meanwhile, I've been listening to 4-7-84, which has been a really convincing set 2, following a decent enough first set. Set 1 had a nice West LA and Althea, but they saved all the jam for later: Playin>Uncle John's>drums>Spanish Jam>Other One>Wharf Rat lives up to its promise, but I was disappointed as the set notes listed it as Other One>Throwing Stones>Wharf Rat>NFA, which would have been remarkable, but instead it was regular old Wharf Rat>Throwaway. It was executed well enough, but I would have rather seen the curveball.

And now its on to 3-28-94, the last show ever at the old barn. 'Good Times' to start it off is usually a good sign.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    mmthmj, Archtop, budwhite and 7 others like this.
  4. trd

trd Forum Resident

Make sure to visit my friends wings/beer bar - Fire On the Mountain

Miss that neighborhood and that city.

JRM and budwhite like this.
  5. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

3-24-94 - this is a pretty good effort for 94. Some of these Drums/Space segments are really intense, they should put out a compilation.

Dahabenzapple and sami like this.
  6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I was there for that run, but other than Mathilda, I have to admit I don't remember it well, probably because I have never gone back and listened to those or most others I caught in '94 and '95. I should probably revisit the '94 Deer Creek shows at least. Great venue, I saw every show there from '91 through '95, but for whatever reason, '94 shows were the least memorable ('95 was memorable for the wrong reasons). The '93 show with the Dark Star and long jam out of Terrapin is recommended as an example of why '93 is better than most people think.

adamos, budwhite, trd and 3 others like this.
  7. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

'79 interview. Time capsule fun.

8. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

I caught that. I got the feeling the host knew what he was doing citing Eddie K.:cool:

"Strange Days Indeed."
    -John Lennon

KCWhistle and ianuaditis like this.
  9. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

Apologies if this has been asked before but does anyone know why all of DiP, E72 and DL series are available in Spotify but not DaP, RT and other box sets like F69, GSTL and W74? More importantly are they ever likely to make an appearance on Spotify? As much as I would love to own these, they’re just too expensive, especially living in the UK.

10. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

My guess is it has to do partially with what was sold as limited (& numbered) editions and also what is/is not in print. DiP, RT and the individual E72 discs were never sold as limited quantities, similar to the standard catalog releases, even though they are not in print. However, the other boxsets, like F69, the Winterland boxes, 30 Trips, etc were strictly limited quantities and I assume GDM/Rhino wish to preserve that cachet (this is also why I think it is unlikely these will ever be re-released).

sparkmeister likes this.
  11. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

He obviously didn't get IT. Either too many hits, or not nearly enough. :tsk:

12. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

Not sure about why they choose what they choose, but the Road Trips IS available, just not as separate entities. It is available as the Complete Road Trips (in the US at least.)

The July 78 box and Spring 1990 complete is available on Tidal too. On there the Road Trips are available as separate releases too.

mmthmj, trd and sparkmeister like this.
  13. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Here I'm thinkin'...

should have been the interviewer's go-to

14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

As much as I'd like it, I doubt DaP will ever appear there.

15. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

I've been stuck on disc 2 of the RT Cal Expo 5/27/93 for the last few days

I want expecting much from this set and this RT was the last I needed to complete the series (all cardboard edition). Gotta say Corrina is a freaking jam!! Understand that there isn't much love on these boards for the song in general but they RIP it up!! Vocals are on point, has some really tuned in Jerry solos and is just a groove of a song. Kind of a latter day Shakedown to these ears.

Anyway, disc 2 continues with a killer round and round (really!!), a fantastic Liberty, and a really good latter day Shakedown.

Anywho, can anyone comment on whether or not this Corrina is typical, or just an exceptional version? Cant believe I'm wading into the 90s and finding new jams. Liberty was also aces.

I walked away from set thinking they had one last classic album left to record.

16. Gray Beard

Gray Beard Forum Resident

All the Road Trips are available as individual releases on Apple Music as well. Wish they’d put Dave’s Picks on there too!

17. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Eddie The K actually sang "Keep on Truckin"

I have never, ever heard the Grateful Dead sing "keep on Truckin'".

"Get back truckin'" yes
    "Keep truckin on" yes
    "Keep on truckin'" no

18. Coltrane811

Coltrane811 Forum Resident

I would be shocked if they don't start a standalone streaming service within the next few years, one that includes every release. Maybe they will work through nugs.net, but as streaming becomes more popular and as the CD buying population ages a 5-10 per month streaming service might be worthwhile. Id pay the 99 a year for full access to official releases.

mmthmj, ianuaditis and trd like this.
  19. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

You might be surprised about some things. We are not always as we appear.

US Blues, bzfgt, ianuaditis and 2 others like this.
  20. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Corrina improved through 93. It was never something I wanted to hear at the time, but holds up well on tape.
    I haven't listened to much 94-95 since 94-95.

Crispy Rob and unravelled like this.
  21. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Crispy Rob and unravelled like this.
  22. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

The owls are not what they seem.

23. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Steal Your Lodge

[​IMG]

24. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Listening to the only July 20th show in GOGD history, 7/20/94 at Deer Creek. Surprisingly solid show, I've made it through the rain songs so far. There's been a few too many flubs at times, but musically, the boys are on.

25. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler