The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. trd

trd Forum Resident

About to head out and catch BART to the Oakland Coliseum for the As/Giants game. It’s my first visit to the Coliseum so Dicks Picks 33 is in order and cued up for the commute.

I really enjoy visiting stadiums, particularly dumps, so today should be a good one :winkgrin:

Can it be worse than 2005 Shea Stadium? Rode the 7 train out there for that one too, just as an FU to John Rocker.

2. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain Forum Resident

That document's out of date - there's a second-verse rundown in this more recent list:
    Grateful Dead Guide: Dark Star Catalog (Guest Post)

There are at least 25 top-ten Dark Stars. Actually, there may be an infinite number, including all the Dark Stars you haven't heard!

3. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Shea Stadium was a fantastic place to watch baseball, unlike that dump in the Bronx. (At least you could see the field from the stands.) We used to sit in the very top row behind home plate (because you could smoke there.)
    I was going to say the same thing, my top 5 Dark Star list is like 30 examples.

There's that quote from Signpost to New Space I'll have to dig up.

4. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain Forum Resident

The 2-24-74 Dark Star has also dropped a bit in my estimation -- I mean, it's still great and lovely, but of the Dark Stars that year, it's kind of middling in comparison and doesn't get weird. This is comparing "great" with "really great," though.
    Worst Dark Star of the year remains 7-25-74, which is very lame and barely even a Dark Star, like the band lost interest after they started it. Happened sometimes!

5. ianuaditis

That's my take too, I really like 5-14 because of the spaciness, though I've heard others that don't agree.

2-24 is like they keep trying to take it somewhere, but can't settle on where that is, and end up back where they started. However, the Morning Dew that follows is pretty massive.

6. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Aww have fun man. The Coli is not so bad once you are inside. Scope out the beer situation. You will pay the same amount for a micro brew that you will for a watered down domestic.

Try not
    To Be dismayed by the amount of Giants fans. They love to rub it in they play in a nice stadium with all mod cons. ;).

7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I like the Slipknot jam a lot. When I first heard it on the Dead Hour I was driving somewhere and had to sit in my parked car waiting for them to finish it. I don't remember the rest being lame either but it's been a while since I listened to it.

8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I’ll be there today, too, and appreciate the John Rocker dig.

9. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

That's funny, it probably was a result of how little of first sets I usually listen to more than anything, on reflection...

ianuaditis likes this.
  10. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

See you there :cool: Are you going to either of the Birthday Band shows the following nights out in Vail? Great lineup - Melvin, Oteil, Tommy, Duane Trucks - in a cool little amphitheater...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

trd, lucan_g, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  11. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Yes, at the Rocks.

I'm not going to Vail, I'll be heading back to the Land of Enchantment.

trd and JRM like this.
  12. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Lived in Walnut Creek in 92-93 and lived at the Coliseum. Hugh A's fan. Loved BART. Door to Door from WC to the Coliseum in like 30 mins. Good times...enjoy!

13. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

I love the 1/10/79 Dark Star. And yes, that Shakedown is fantastic as well, followed by a Miracle-Bertha-Good Lovin that rocked as hard as the previous show, where GL ended the second set. Then, Dark Star.

Somewhere I read the description of 1-10 as "The Times Square" Dark Star, presumably played big, a bit flashy and gaudy. I love when the band comes back in to the big refrain of the theme. That night was my first mind-blowingly great GD show. Also, over the years listening to the tape, that show was where I learned "It's Jerry starting Around and Around." Didn't necessarily make me want to hear it more, but it shattered my misconception that Weir was keeping JG from playing something I thought might be better. Hah!

Mansley, adamos, budwhite and 6 others like this.
  14. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Ha, I'm sitting on a comfy couch with a cup of coffee for quarter to twoses listening to 9/24 right now....

15. ianuaditis

I get that its the NY area, but Uniondale:Times Square :: Worcester:Harvard Square.

Mansley, Crispy Rob, US Blues and 3 others like this.
  16. bzfgt

I haven't listened to Reckoning since the 80s I don't think. Powerful stuff. Best "It Must Have Been the Roses" ever I think.

Mansley, adamos, Crispy Rob and 4 others like this.
  17. US Blues

Yes indeed, I got to attend some games at Big Shea during my youth. I saw Bob Gibson hit a HR against the Mets one night, while whipping them from the mound. Willie McCovey rang the flagpole in dead center, the ball hit halfway up the pole, which sat a good 10+ feet behind the 410 mark. But my folks hold the claim to fame: 2nd row off the field at the Beatles show. fyi- To protect the grass no fans were on the field, 2nd row behind first base was about as close as one could be to the stage.

The dump in the Bronx was where I saw my first pro football game, The NY Football Giants vs. the St. Louis Cardinals. I think it was 5 degrees that day. Mile High Stadium is a far nicer venue.

18. US Blues

That was my second show, nice to know you were there for the festivities. In retrospect I wish I had even the smallest clue regarding what I was witnessing that night.

19. kevin

kevin Senior Member

Listening to 7/22/84[Ventura County Fairgrounds Ventura Ca]on This Day In Grateful Dead History on SiriusXM's Grateful Dead channel via the webstream.......now playing Dancing In The Street.

20. bzfgt

Listening to a few things from 9/10/83...TMNS, Big RR Blues, China>Rider, Cumberland. Rather frenetic, high energy material. Good stuff.

Mansley, RockRoom, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  21. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I'm still perplexed as to why the Fresno 74 show (Dave's 17) received such lukewarm reviews upon release. I thought it was fantastic and one of the best summer 74 shows that I had heard. Still do.

22. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I need to revisit that one. I was very lukewarm (tepid?) about it. Great, excellent, amazing PITB. I thought the WRS, Spanish Jam and Eyes were kind of sloppy.
    I am currently on a 73-74 hiatus awaiting the new box, so Fresno will have to wait.

23. notesofachord

I have no doubt that the performance hit a bum note or two or that the rhythm falters here or there. That's called taking chances and occasionally tripping over your shoelaces. If a listener wants a tight, well-rehearsed band that plays good melodic grooves -there's always 1977 GD.

Mansley, RockRoom, KCWhistle and 5 others like this.
  24. bzfgt

Actually it's not even in the first set...it's just first setty

trd and ianuaditis like this.
  25. notesofachord

Woooooahh, First Setty, bam-a-lam, woooooahhh first setty, bam-a-lam...

:righton::winkgrin:

bzfgt, footlooseman and Crispy Rob like this.