The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

My wife loves "Playin'" but can't stand Donna's wail. I point out that it lasts maybe five seconds, but that fails to placate her. She never lets it pass in silence.

2. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

The Dark Star from 2/22/69 (30 Trips) might be my new favourite. What a gorgeous beast! Captain Trips is all liquid on this one. Shame he blew the lyrics, hahahaha.

frightwigwam, budwhite and dzhason like this.
  3. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

A bowl of steam.

[​IMG]

On point, a demo version of Pride Of Cucamonga came up on my shuffle tonight. Just Phil and an acoustic guitar, probably him. I never paid a whole lot of attention to the lyrics before but it sounds like Bobby Petersen's autobiography. A real interesting character.

[​IMG]

Wrote lyrics for 3 Grateful Dead tunes on record and the legendary Revolutionary Hamstrung Blues which got played once in concert.

[​IMG]

With lyrics like those it's understandable why it only got one go.

ianuaditis, adamos, trd and 5 others like this.
  4. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain Forum Resident

They originally recorded the whole St. Stephen>Eleven for Aoxomoxoa, including the bridge (complete with bagpipes!), but once they decided to drop the Eleven, the bridge followed.
    Many people say that bridge is really part of St. Stephen, but it was only performed along with the Eleven. All the Stephens played before and after its pairing with the Eleven ended with the answer man. I suppose the bridge is a separate piece that doesn't belong to either song individually.

ianuaditis, jazz_case, bzfgt and 5 others like this.
  5. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

After the usual disappointment of Dick's Picks 16 (I play it every few years) it was amazing to hear 2/22/69

That show is even better than the Fillmore West shows.

If I was home alone I would blast it so the whole street could hear.

frightwigwam, budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
  6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Earlier this week I rolled the Relisten random show dice and landed on Boston Gahden 9/30/93, the last show of a 6-show run there (the last 3 of which I attended; I was back east for a weekend family wedding and caught the three weekday MSG shows before the wedding festivities and the 3 weekday Boston shows after them). Not a great setlist, but other than Lucy and the Sky with Diamonds, which was fun at the timebut wasn’t built for the ages, it’s a very well played show. Really nice latter day Crazy fingers and then a well played Other One->Wharf Ray out of Space. Don’t think I’d heard it since that night.

Tonight I decided to reach into the Europe trunk for the first time in a while. Back when I marathoned this box when it came out, I have to admit I was getting the aural equivalent of palate fatigue when I got to the Lyceum run, so, other than 5/26/72, which was an obvious standout and has gotten several plays, I didn’t focus on the other shows in that run as much as I could have, and haven’t gone back to the others since either, so I figure it is time to revisit that run starting with 5/23 tonight. Plus I was in the mood for a China Cat->Rider after catching up on the thread, so a Europe ‘72 show I don’t know that well seemed to be in order.

7. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I dunno, I always kind of liked that one and wish they had given it more than one go. Beats the heck out of Wave to the Wind and the other latter day Phil songs. But I maybe had a soft spot because the 70’s kid in me always thought it was “Speed Racer” and not “Speed Razor,” the latter of which seems more of a Replacements “Lay It Down Clown” kind of thing. [Edit: that lyric sheet is a great find, never saw that before. That first set from Portland ‘86 is a good listen in general.]

8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I don’t know if better, but it can hold its own. It’s a real shame there is a reel cut in what otherwise might be the best version of Death Don’t Have Mercy ever recorded. Garcia’s vocals on that version floored me when I first heard it.

9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

He looks too much like Dave. (He looks toomuch like Dave, he looks too much...)

[Sorry, not sorry, for dropping a Phish reference into the thread. It was just sitting there on a tee when I happened to be passing by whistling and not trying to cause any trouble on my way home.]

10. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Don't forget to check out 10/29. You want high energy? Cue up the FoH AUD or the Matrix, turn up the sound and enjoy Might as Well!

11. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Aye laddie; I originally had a quote from Pulp Fiction but I opted for something a bit more family-friendly and slightly more obscure. And yes, that's Phil on acoustic on Cucamonga (and possibly the last time Jerry pulled out his pedal steel on the originally-released studio track (and furthermore, what's up with 2:12-2:22 on the originally-released version: a very not-so-subtle tribute to CSN(&/or)Y?)?). (!) :nyah:

Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  12. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Phil's original demo of the tune has circulated for many years, and was given "pride of place" when bonus tracks were added to Mars Hotel, along with Unbroken Chain. The is a full band demo of Chain, and even a false start version where Jerry 'scolds' the piano player, whom he refers to as "fumble-fingers Godchaux."

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  13. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

That was cool thanks for passing along. Congrats on getting your request played.

ianuaditis and Crispy Rob like this.
  14. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

When are you going to change your handle to @warewolf90’s already :righton:. Always good to have some caped crusaders ready to jump in defense.

15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

11/8/69 (Dick's Picks 16) is unusual for being a jam with Dark Star where Dark Star is one of the least interesting parts. I enjoy it for the Uncle John and Main Ten jams, and the transitions from Dark Star to Other One and back.

16. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Thanks for the suggestion! :)

budwhite likes this.
  17. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

Amazon has the Grateful Dead Movie Soundtrack for $16.82 at the moment. That’s $3.36 per disc or 38 cents per track. Buy it if you haven’t already! Get a copy for a friend!

18. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Dock Rodent LMAO :D

19. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Yes, this is a very nice show with a great soundmix. From the multitracks I assume?

Love Touch of Grey. It's so catchy. I'm feeling great whenever I hear it

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    Crispy Rob, warewolf95 and bzfgt like this.
  20. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

The recent Dave's has me delving into the 80s. After thoroughly enjoying DiP6 I have gone to the archive.
    Please, don't stop what you are doing, but add 2/26/81 Uptown Theater Chicago to your to do list.
    First, a really nice sounding sbd.
    Peggy-O and Music Never Stopped are all time versions.
    In set 2 there is a solid 10 minute jam after He's Gone which rivals some of the 73-74 free form sections.
    Haven't finished yet, this will get repeat listens.

Non-Brent folks should hit this one up. Has a chill 76 feel to it.

21. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Killer......filler. Dick put some great fillers on his releases.

[​IMG]

22. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

[​IMG]

warewolf95, KCWhistle and dzhason like this.
  23. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Great little run there to open that tour. I have all 3 on cdr somewhere.

24. Freebird

An incredible release and offers the most bang for the buck of anything currently available in the GD catalogue .

25. Freebird

Checking out the track list for Road Trips Vol. 1 No. 2 and WOW! What is the appropriate way to obtain this release?

Disc One
    1. "Let It Grow" (Bob Weir, John Perry Barlow) – 10:17
      Lloyd Noble Center, Norman, Oklahoma, 10/11/77
    2. "Sugaree" (Jerry Garcia, Robert Hunter) – 17:41
      Assembly Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, 10/16/77
    3. "The Music Never Stopped" (Weir, Barlow) – 8:59
      Assembly Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, 10/16/77
    4. "Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo" > (Garcia, Hunter) – 11:53
      Hofheinz Pavilion, Houston, Texas, 10/14/77
    5. "El Paso" (Marty Robbins) – (4:52)
      Hofheinz Pavilion, Houston, Texas, 10/14/77
    6. "Help On the Way" > (Garcia, Hunter) – 5:48