The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

$1,200 winds up being a little over $16 per disc, which isn't bad, particularly when you factor in the trunk and the book and the other goodies. And it's waaaay better than, like, anything but the several most recent Dave's Picks on the resale market. I think you're right that that's maybe the fairness ceiling. I've definitely seen them go higher in the last few minutes of an auction. It got to be pretty out of control. Before I started getting the individual shows, I happened to find the hardback book from the trunk for a steal, so at least I've got that to go with the CDs. I can absolutely live without the trunk.

The 30 Trips situation has been complicated somewhat by the discovery of the Warnermarket stock, as a lot of those seem to be showing up in the resale market already. Prices for those individual shows have long been all over the place, but it's gotten crazy in the last few days. (I will soon be happily falling out of the loop on this front, much as I did with Europe '72, because I snapped up the '72-'77 shows this morning at a price that didn't make me gag.)

You recall correctly. It's like he's not ready to leave the weird space, and refuses to get dragged into the pop song without a brief fight. It's a good Sugar Magnolia, too -- Weir does this little yelp right before the "Jerry's solo" section, and the way they end the song is sort of unusual as well. I'm already partial to SMs of this era (and of the '70s in general), but I've been getting a kick out of these little variations as I proceed through the E72 shows.

mmthmj, bzfgt, notesofachord and 2 others like this.
  2. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

My new $20 Road Trips October ‘77 with bonus disk showed up today (Amazon / Warner)... I think my evening is pretty well mapped out.

mmthmj, budwhite, bzfgt and 6 others like this.
  3. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

Nice! Warnermarket is still showing this in stock. Anyone who's on the fence should snap one up, because this set ROCKS.

bzfgt, hyde park, ratstack and 2 others like this.
  4. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Since this thread is bouncing around in fine fashion, I'll note that the Dark Star>Mind Left Body Jam>Eyes from 11/11/73 is driving music. Tremendous rhythm/percussion. Not really a "weird" part, but so what. On a Monday mountain road trip, I noted to my wife that "this is a really good 'Dark Star'" and she agreed.

Something about Winterland, as opposed to, say, "University of Illinois."

[​IMG]

bmoregnr, mmthmj, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  5. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I agree, I'd rather see almost any band with good original material. However, if they want to throw in a spare GD cover or two in their set (like a band I was in for a year or so in my 20s - we covered "Ripple" on one gig) that would be alright.

bzfgt likes this.
  6. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I felt the same way until I saw JRAD live.

I still see quite a few bands that play original material but that original material are jazz chart/sketches or freely improvised or instantly composed music played by the greatest musicians in the world.

US Blues, mmthmj, bzfgt and 1 other person like this.
  7. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

FWIW DeadBase 50 lists it as Samson, S>F both in the new updates section and in the older section that comes from DeadBase XI. So looks like they fixed it even prior to DB 50.

ianuaditis, mmthmj, pbuzby and 2 others like this.
  8. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I was wondering why this thread had advanced by five pages since last night. :righton:

sami, mmthmj, bzfgt and 1 other person like this.
  9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The mission: Hanging ten out in space and time, redefining distance.

US Blues, ianuaditis, mmthmj and 3 others like this.
  10. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I think being a counter-cultural figurehead with a lot of needy and sometimes crazy people fixated on them, as well as a lot of adulation in general is what he was getting at, or at least how I’ve always taken that comment. John Lennon would fall in that category as well, but of course he was long gone by then.

11. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

You're welcome. But really it's because the Grateful Dead are good and now the world is discovering that. They are flocking to our shores...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    ianuaditis and notesofachord like this.
  12. bzfgt

Yeah I think it's something like that, plus with similar tastes etc. I think it's an isolation-of-fame thing plus all the similarities in detail. But he could have probably come up with at least one or two other cats if he was being scrupulous about it.

13. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

They hadn’t played it since 1988, so it was a bit rusty, and they never played it again. I’ve always wondered what prompted them to play it that night.

bzfgt likes this.
  14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I think he was also getting at the fact that he was the only such person he knew well and could confide in.

mmthmj and bzfgt like this.
  15. bzfgt

That's that terroir, again. For me that's a Top 3 Dark Star, no weird part and all...

16. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

"That man back there is the only one who knows what it's like to be me."
    -Dylan at Jerry's funeral

I took that quote to suggest that Garcia got inside his songs (and thus, his thoughts) more than anyone else.

sami, bmoregnr, cedarbrew and 6 others like this.
  17. bzfgt

All right, all right! I give in--it's an apt quote!

In all seriousness though, I hadn't thought of that--Garcia knew him, maybe even well, and thus knew what it was like to be him in more ways than one. OK, so it does make sense, maybe.

ianuaditis and Crispy Rob like this.
  18. bzfgt

I hadn't intended this to be a thing back when I was (correctly) accused of making it a thing. But I'm not directing that at your post, and that's another good point that I would think may be true in conjunction with all the other stuff we've said above. At this point it's looking like Dylan is right, Garcia was the only one, whereas I thought he was just talking out his ass when we started (which wouldn't be the first time for Dylan, either).

KCWhistle and SBegonias17 like this.
  19. bzfgt

Yeah I don't think they spent days at Club Front polishing it up beforehand, based on how they played it and how they never played it again (not to mention that they seemingly never spent days polishing anything up). I wouldn't be surprised if it were a request of some sort (I don't mean someone yelling it, but maybe someone who knew the band a bit and was there, or whatever)

Although there are bands/singers that could knock a simple song like that out without rehearsal and sound more professional I guess we don't even expect that of the Grateful Dead, and we're glad they're not like those other bands even if they do make us scratch our heads sometimes....

Crispy Rob likes this.
  20. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Oh, he was definitely talking out his ass. A funeral is a great time for hyperbole.
    I don't think anyone is criticizing anyone else's opinion here. Dylan is always open for interpretations!

21. bzfgt

Damn it, back to square one!!! This could take years to sort out...

22. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Not sure if this was the same listing, but I just ordered a copy. I hope it comes, and that it isn't damaged. I take it from your comments that it's an "All Music Version" of the box, as in just the digipacks?

23. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Looks like the same listing, although the price has gone up by $50

KCWhistle and Ray29 like this.
  24. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

Glad to see 30 trips still available but it went from 700 to 750. Ouch

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

It is the same listing, but they changed the description to say it’s only the cd’s. The old one had the full description about the box, book, scroll, etc. I think that is why it was changed to out of stock last week to give them a chance to update the listing.

After I saw this I called Amazon to see if I can get a replacement sent for mine that had box cutter marks all over it.

My case is now pending.