The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

I really wish this had been released as a full show, not a chopped up and reordered hybrid. I don’t say that too critically; the times and perspectives on archival releases was entirely different back then. But still, a great show that deserves full release.

2. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

A complete version does circulate in the usual places.

3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Clearly chopped up because it was one of the first titles issued in an era before Dick was allowed to release complete shows. A fantastic release nevertheless. Not sure how the band could rectify it now -- most of the key material has been released, so there could be concerns that a complete reissue will not sell particularly well.

Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  4. US Blues

[​IMG]

Red Rocks.

Tonight.

Am I excited, or did I just drink coffee? YES!

gdpeck, mmthmj, adamos and 5 others like this.
  5. US Blues

The next skull on your necklace is mine, cheap for such assistance...

[​IMG]

jazz_case, bzfgt, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  6. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Mine were not damaged.

mmthmj, dzhason and citizensmurf like this.
  7. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

87 was definitely the “turn the corner year”into far bigger mass popularity, and it wasn’t just Touch of Gray or In the Dark. Recall that the Spring tour was the first time most people got to see JG after the 86 coma. I was at Hampton in March, and tickets were tight as hell. I remember the third show (3/24) pretty well, and it was great. In general on that tour, it was all about a re-energized and healthier, less overweight Jerry.

1981, great year. If the technology ever gets to where cassette masters can sound full and amazing, we’ll all be in for a treat.

8. Mr. Rain

Mr. Rain Forum Resident

Checking out 3/16/94....came for the Dark Star (short but bouncy), stayed for Standing on the Moon....whoa. Best Standing on the Moon I've heard. I'd compare it to the 3/21/94 Stella Blue in Jerry's intensity.

9. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

4-6-94 was another good rendition I recently heard.

It's been a while since I listened, but I remember the first one I heard was 10-15-94, it seemed pretty great in person.

10. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

promises made in the dark dissolve by light of day?

jazz_case and US Blues like this.
  11. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Good to hear.

12. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Are all the tickets for tonight General Admission?

US Blues likes this.
  13. US Blues

Yes, except for the first few rows. First 2 rows are special seating.

I'm treating my kid sister, it's her birthday and she has not seen JRAD yet. We'll be there early for the Red Rocks Rush to claim a good seat. It's also an anniversary, we first visited Colorado as kids in 1969 and the first concerts we ever attended were at Red Rocks that August. Peter, Paul & Mary one weekend, Diana Ross & The Supremes the next weekend. 49 years- where does the time go?

btw- Her first Dead show was 10 January 1979. :agree:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  14. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I'll be on the lookout. We plan to get there early and have a few Barley Sodas before doors open.

US Blues likes this.
  15. John69

John69 Forum Resident

That's great! A nice present. Have a blast.

That's awesome. I only went to Red Rocks once, 1987 Grateful Dead. You have a nice long run going there. Enjoy the show and say hi to Red Rocks for me.

jazz_case, adamos, Crispy Rob and 3 others like this.
  16. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Truckin' from 6/16/74....man what a great jam

adamos, KCWhistle, Crispy Rob and 3 others like this.
  17. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

Estimated is one for me. I prefer the earliest versions of it, before Bobby started taking the nah-nahs off the deep end, and started this really whiny, obnoxious shouting for the “call down thunder” bridge. Also, at some point in the 80s he changed the melody altogether and sounds like he’s singing in a different key half the time. Occasionally adding in some unhinged falsetto screaming just for good measure. 77s are my favorite Estimateds. Don’t get me wrong, there’s plenty to like about other ones, especially Jerry’s increasingly wahhed our and processed guitar.

KeninDC, KCWhistle, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  18. bzfgt

I have just made a small discovery:

At 9:16 of the "Nobody's Fault Jam" from 6/16/74 (timing and track breakdown from the Bonus Disc of Road Trips 2.3), Bob Weir plays the "Egyptian Melody," or "Snake Charmer's Song." It's not clear exactly where this melody comes from; this article gives a brief summary of its known history:

Where does the “Egyptian” melody originally come from?

In any case, if you play the first video of the kid playing the bass clarinet, you will immediately recognize the melody; it's often used to convey a sort of generic, stereotypical Middle Eastern or Egyptian vibe.

He only plays it once, and then moves on.

Does Weir do this elsewhere? Has his quotation of the melody here been discussed elsewhere? It's interesting that he just slips it in there in the background, and if it's something he does from time to time, I've never noticed it before.

@Archtop , do you know anything about this?

EDIT: I think the Wikipedia entry is more informative than the link above:

The Streets of Cairo, or the Poor Little Country Maid - Wikipedia

19. bzfgt

I think that's the opposite of what I'm saying, if I understand you aright--I was asking about songs where, no matter what happened in the singing, it wouldn't affect your evaluation of the version. If I get what you're saying, you are saying that you like certain versions of Estimated less because of the singing...

Karsten likes this.
  20. John69

John69 Forum Resident

Dark Star and Playing In The Band for me. Any lyrical problems with these two songs is easily offset by the what the rest contains.

SBegonias17, KCWhistle and bzfgt like this.
  21. bzfgt

Yeah I think those might be the only two for me, although of course a great instrumental section can overcome other things in other cases. Maybe Other One too, it's hard to imagine a great version marred by the vocals. I don't think that one is often messed up, though (although @notesofachord earlier mentioned being annoyed by "y'all").

22. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

So, when I played the Rotterdam '72 Dark Star recently, I really should've taken notes. Regardless, I'll just mention a couple of things:

Around the 6 or 7 minute mark, they start playing a jam based on the chords that would become "Let it Grow". I kid you not. It may not be exactly "Let It Grow", but it's very similar. The jam goes on for a few minutes. Anyone else want to spin that part and see if they agree?

Also, in the later part of the performance, Phil distinctly plays the bassline/melody of "Bird Song" several times. This is very interesting considering the recent talk of them not playing that song during the Europe tour. Phil sure seemed to want to go into it, but no one else joined in. Or maybe he had no intention of them actually playing the song, but he just was inspired to play the riff during that specific Dark Star? Who knows.

23. John69

John69 Forum Resident

Yes indeed. It seemed when Jerry botched a vocal he dug into his guitar a little more like he was trying to make up for it. Or maybe it just seemed that way live at shows.

bzfgt likes this.
  24. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Other than that kid needs to get a score with fewer articulated notes and more slurred notes, no.

bzfgt likes this.
  25. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Man, I would love to see them live!
    "The Q” ft. Warren Haynes, Jimmy Herring, Rob Barraco & John Molo