The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Actually prefer the studio "Throwing Stones" to live versions. Has much more space and seems much less white man preachy and more Bob Marley righteous for some reason.
    Okay. All you freaks stuck on shows for yonks like myself would do well to revisit the studio stuff. It's a very good "Reset" or "Recalibration" if you will...

Wow. The studio "Throwing Stones" followed with the eternal "Touch of Gray" single is just exactly perfect. Saturday is ruled by Saturn. 'Nuff said. Lols.

KCWhistle, ianuaditis and DrLunchbox like this.
  2. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Yes, the orchestration on Terrapin makes that album The Grateful Dead's "prog" album, basically, and it works like a charm. We've got plenty of live versions to enjoy, so I'm not sure what the fuss is over folks not enjoying the highly-produced studio creation.

3. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

The GoGD experience is like eternal waves upon the beach. Ever changing, ever evolving and always enchanting. A sand dollar lurking in the misty shallow grey ahead....smiling and longing to be discovered by a fragile hand.

(Okay. I'm officially stoner poetry lashed, Lols!)

KCWhistle, Mansley, dzhason and 2 others like this.
  4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

5 April 1971- Manhattan Center. If you're curious about the whole show. ;)

budwhite, Crispy Rob, Mansley and 3 others like this.
  5. US Blues

Adventure is the right term. And I admire them for staying true to their voices as musicians, and letting the music come through them as they are, without trying to be a different player.

budwhite, mmthmj, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  6. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

7. John69

John69 Forum Resident

If you have a bit torrent client ready to go - log into LL and you will see a link on the top right of the page called - TORRENTS. Click that.
    Click on the torrent you want to download. At the top of the specific torrent page you will see the torrent name. Right below that is - TORRENT and a live link in blue letters. Click that and a window will open showing you all the files. Click OK and your torrent should start in the torrent client. When it is done it will change from DOWNLOADING TO SEEDING. The idea is to upload as much as you download so you get a 1.0 share ratio. That's the condensed version. As long as you have your bit torrent client set up properly it should work. If not they have a great message board with lots of knowledgeable people that help you to fine tune if needed.

If you are jumping in for the first time you should go pick up a big external hard drive. Or two or three!

SBegonias17 likes this.
  8. John69

John69 Forum Resident

Another cool feature in on the top of the main page. LL LISTS. Click that and you will see that they have all the shows broken down by year so you can easily the one you want. Just make sure they have seeders and you are good to go.

9. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

For GD and Jerry, LL is usually good about people jumping on if a seeder is needed. It usually only takes a day or two to get something that doesn’t have a seeder from upload.

John69 likes this.
  10. ishkabibble

ishkabibble Forum Resident

Well, without turning this into a big "how to" I feel I should say that if you downloaded/installed the mainline BitTorrent program (like, something named "BitTorrent" rather than a different program like "Bit Tornado" or "Transmission") then you may not be able to use LosslessLegs. They banned the "mainline" BitTorrent client a while ago and another client, uTorrent, is full of ads and other junk so that is also not a great one.

I'll reference double-clicking and some other stuff that may be Windows-centric, but the basic ideas should be good for all operating systems.

Anyway, the basic idea is that someone wants to share a bunch of files - in this case flac files and maybe a text file or two - and the .torrent file is a smaller file that they create and you download which contains enough information for your torrent client (BitTorrent, Transmission, etc.) to figure out what the filenames are, where to connect to get a list of other people downloading the files or seeding the files (seeding meaning they have a full file set and can share everything), and a description of what the files should look like (so that the client knows if what it downloads is good).

Once you download the .torrent file, your client will ask you where you want to save the files, and then it will connect to the torrent tracker, which in this case is a computer that LosslessLegs runs that keeps track of which user is connected to which torrent, either for downloading or seeding, and your client will get a list of others with the files or pieces thereof and connect to them and you will start downloading and sharing what you have at that point. This continues until you have downloaded the entire set at which time, of course, your client will stop downloading and you will only be seeding. Generally, when the .torrent file is active on your machine you cannot move or delete the files as your torrent client is using them, though you can copy them. Once you stop seeding or downloading the files are released and you can do what you want.

One handy thing about this is that if your download is interrupted for a computer restart or power loss or if your internet service goes out, you can just start up the torrent client and it should pick up right where you left off. Some people like to download the .torrent file and save it first and then double-click it to start up their torrent client for this reason. Some torrent clients show a list of the .torrent files you are running/have completed to make this easier.

One last thing, It is generally considered polite to seed until you have uploaded at least as much as you have downloaded. Sometimes this is easy, sometimes (like if you are downloading an older .torrent file) it is not. Some sites enforce this, some don't - LosslessLegs does not, but most users there share readily and at length. Sites that do enforce this usually put an identifier into the .torrent file you download so that they know how much you have shared or how much you are downloading, and they frown upon sharing the .torrent files you download since it messes up the statistics they keep. Again, LosslessLegs doesn't do this, but if you start downloading a lot and branch out to other sites it is something to keep in mind.

I'm sure there's more, let me know if you have any other questions.

11. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Those shows were packed. I believe they double sold it between the various outlets. I was down on the floor during the riders but went upstairs for the dead.

12. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I believe that you download the "torrent" which is a tiny file with the code that has info about how the files fit together. To actually "get" the files/music, you open your BitTorrent program, load the torrent file into it and if there are "seeders" available, the program will automatically connect with those seeders (often many at a time) and download bits and pieces from all of them. Once the whole show is downloaded, you can listen to it. So, instead of downloading one giant file of a show from a site, you are having multiple providers or "seeders" sharing the music with you. That way, no one person's computer gets overloaded with folks trying to download from it and no server is needed.

If you are logged in and downloading, others can download from your files too (you become a seeder).

ishkabibble and KeninDC like this.
  13. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

A pizza place or so it looks from space.

14. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Download. Each page should have a torrent link. Click on that and you should get a dialogue box asking what you want saved and where it should be saved to.

15. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Dime still does but I donated some $$ to them and I have VIP status. :).

16. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Finally got around to ripping my cd of 7 29 66

Holy crap listen to Jerry shred on Rider!

And its only flippin 1966!!

Crispy Rob, budwhite, Mansley and 3 others like this.
  17. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

That’s what I do. I make data CDRs full of mp3s (sacrilege!) for listening in the car. For me it’s about having quantity available, especially because I tend to listen to full albums/shows at a time. Plus, I don’t have to worry about source CDs getting scratched or lost and if a disc goes bad I can just burn another one. I can get 4-5 complete releases/shows on a disc, give or take.

18. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I actually made myself an edit of this that fades out just after the Terrapin Station segment. I think it’s 6-7 minutes long so I can have my cake and eat it too.

19. US Blues

My Taco has a USB input, I took a 160 gig flash drive and built an iTunes library on it, which the audio system can read. Using mp3 (the inside of a truck is too noisy to warrant FLACs) I have enough music to do a lap or two around the US. And I am not yet up to 100 gigs of music on the drive.

20. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Huh, I have Utorrent and I've never seen a single ad in 10 years of using it.

21. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Torrents? Tacos? what the hell are you guys talking about? And Libertycaps is waxing poetic? I think this Caution from 10-20-68 has done me in...

KCWhistle, Crispy Rob, adamos and 4 others like this.
  22. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Have you updated it often? I have BT (which is basically uTorrents non beta version) and have ads turned off. uTorrent also does not work with LL. Thats why I'm using BT.

23. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Just listened to her on Lonesome And A Long Way From Home from Don’t Let Go tonight. I’m all good.

24. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

Wow, coincidentally enough I've been listening to studio Dead / Jerry tonight, kind of as a random reset. It's definitely a... palate cleanser? The first solo Jerry album really was a jolt, I haven't listened to it for a couple years probably, at least not close. Might have had a random studio Deal or something pop up on a party mix.

I'm digging it, but every other track I listen to makes me think "hmm lets go listen to a live version of this - any live version..." A few tracks though, for me, will never beat the studio version (of course several are n/a since they were barely or never played). Touch of Grey is definitely one of them for me, which probably speaks well of their "studio" process for that one haha. Honestly I've never heard a live take on it that I've enjoyed more than the In the Dark cut.

Add in edit: I didn't mention Terrapin. There are some killer live Terrapins, but none are quite like the album. Orchestra and production and all. Terrapin Transit through Terrapin Flyer were pretty much always skipped live (did they EVER do the whole thing with that part in tact and somewhat recognizable?). Primarily the killer drums. One of my favorite parts. That whole studio track when I heard it (in my late teens probably 1998 or 9) though is what pulled deeper into into the band beyond kind of digging Workingman's Dead. Love it.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  25. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Sounds complicated.