The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

bonus material for the 2003 reissue is on the level of Mandatory GD listening, IMO.

RockRoom, SBegonias17 and KeninDC like this.
  2. Doctor Jimmy

Doctor Jimmy From Bach to the Beach Boys

Great article. Thanks!
    I don't know much about technical aspects of improvisation. It was a good learning!
    Some jazz lovers say something like 'Garcia doesn't know chord changes'. This article proves they are wrong.

mmthmj and ianuaditis like this.
  3. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

It is a great site but looks like it’s no longer being updated.

KCWhistle and ianuaditis like this.
  4. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

7.27.73 - Grand Prix Racecourse - Watkins Glen, NY
    Watkins Glen Summer Jam "Soundcheck"
    SBD Matrix

[​IMG]

SBegonias17, adamos, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  5. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

How’d they know it was the largest music gathering ever?

6. ishkabibble

ishkabibble Forum Resident

Interesting, according to the uTorrent page the free version shows ads but if you haven't updated it in a while then maybe you never got that version. I know a few torrent sites that don't allow current versions of uTorrent because of problems measuring the amount downloaded vs. uploaded for a user. I used to use it and I loved how everything was presented to you and it was easy to see the progress and status of every download. Maybe I should go find an old version and try it again...

7. mmthmj

mmthmj Forum Resident

uTorrent will work with any torrent site. But depending on your settings it may not all be seamless.

When you try to download a show from etree or LL, you may notice that a tiny (20kb?) file downloads that is obviously not the actual show. This tracker file is what uTorrent - or your torrent client of choice - uses to download the good stuff that you actually want.

uTorrent may not automatically start downloading the show on its own when you do this, but just go up to the File menu (in uTorrent), and click Open Torrent. Then select that tiny file you downloaded and your actual torrent will start downloading.

You can also configure uTorrent to automatically add torrent files when the tracker file is downloaded (this is in the uTorrent preferences in the Directories section). You can also have it auto-delete the little tracker files once the actual torrent starts downloading - since those are useless once you're downloading the actual digital items.

Some of my terminology may be off, but I hope this helps!! It's definitely an easier process than it seems once you do it once or twice. Basically if you can add files to iTunes or whatever then you have the skills to download torrents.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  8. John69

John69 Forum Resident

Yes. The hard part isn't downloading the torrents, it's finding enough time to listen to it all. I need more ears or more time.

9. mmthmj

mmthmj Forum Resident

This is my main problem as well :agree:

That and my rapidly-diminishing hard drive space. Luckily external hard drives are cheap!

Anyway, it seemed like there were a number of people unfamiliar with the torrenting process, so I was hoping I could address a few technical issues I'd encountered.

I'm no expert, but if anyone is still struggling, shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to try to help!

KCWhistle, WaterLemon and John69 like this.
  10. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Short answer- Yes.

Longer Answer- Listen to Coltrane play, listen to Jerry play. Other than the instrument, what's the difference?

Archtop, budwhite, mmthmj and 2 others like this.
  11. US Blues

They sold more tickets than Woodstock. :shh:

johnnypaddock, mmthmj and ianuaditis like this.
  12. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

He could definitely get very sloppy in his later years, but it's not like he couldn't play over 'jazz changes.' The article doesn't even mention that he did play his share of jazz standards, early on with Merle Saunders/Legion of Mary (My Funny Valentine, Favela, etc.) and then later with Grisman. He mostly stuck to modal jazz, but the GD also had a few songs with complex harmony, and there's a difference between 'he didn't usually play over complex changes' and 'he never did or couldn't.'

Especially in his prime he was a brilliant soloist in idioms that many jazz players aren't fluent in, but you don't hear the reverse comment.

13. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I have the 2003 single disc expanded version, with 8/23/68 bonus tracks Alligator > Caution > Feedback, and the 50th anniversary edition, with original mix and '71 remix plus live material from 10/22/67. As far as mastering, I haven't done any sort of listening comparison between them. As far as bonus material, the 2003 edition's three live tracks can be also found on disc 3 of Two From the Vault which has the 8/24/68 show on discs 1 & 2, so if it is this bonus material you're interested in then Two From the Vault seems like a no-brainer. I've only listened to the 10-22-67 from the 50th anniversary edition once and am not very familiar with it yet, but for me it feels essential due to the lack of officially released '67 material alone.

14. trd

trd Forum Resident

And away we go with disc 1,track 1 of the movie soundtrack. Summertime done come and gone, my oh my

15. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

PSA:
    The expanded 2003 Anthem is not on Tidal or at least the bonus tracks aren’t. However, the 50th anniversary is in its entirety.

Also, Skeletons in the Closet is absent from the Tidal catalogue.

16. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Conceptually, 'Trane's typical approach was to take melody and dissect it into its diverse components, while Garica's typical approach was to take diverse components and assemble them into melody. Not to say that they didn't each do the opposite as well. And while these two approaches sound like opposites, they actually are more like mirror images of each other, so they are no more opposites of each other than your left hand is in contrast to your right. After all, they're both hands.

And this is not a value judgement at all; 'Trane wasn't inherently better than Garcia because he was a jazz musician. Garcia was as good or better as an improviser than many jazz musicians and it actually does his legacy something of a disservice to peg him as being of a specific genre. Jerry was a master of music.

17. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Sunday coffee. Boston 5/7/77. 1/2 Step-> River smoked down to the roach. A Music as good a Buffalo. Just exactly perfect Second set. The best show of the week. ;)

18. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

[​IMG]

Just got last week Barnes & Noble exclusive sounds great too

19. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

10/2/77 this afternoon.

20. Cardboard Cowboy

Cardboard Cowboy Forum Resident

Hi folks, I love this thread, I just wanted to drop in and say that I love Phil's Cardboard Cowboy and have always been kinda disappointed that they dropped it so early on. I suppose it doesn't really fit with the sound of their later material, but then if you consider the sound of early vs. later Cold Rain and Snow then they could have done similarly to Cardboard Cowboy to keep it up to date. Oh well, perhaps my love for the tune is simply a product of its limited shelf life and things are better as they were. "Watching mashed potatoes dribble in the heat of reality's earth", ha! What? I love it, though.

21. US Blues

The paradoxical nature of your reply has my professorial tea cup filled beyond overflowing. Coltrane and Garcia, as the mirrored pair, are moving in both directions at once. :hugs:

Mansley, budwhite, ianuaditis and 7 others like this.
  22. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Goggle utorrent 2.2. It's an old version with no ads. Simple and it works.

budwhite, Coltrane811, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  23. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Yes, and one of the admins at LL, Goother, can provide you the link if you need it. I use the old version of utorrent and it works great.

bzfgt likes this.
  24. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I think actually 2.2.1? And for Mac you can use the latest version. I’m not sure about LL but there are definitely some torrent sites that will block use of Windows uTorrent versions after 2.2.1

budwhite and ishkabibble like this.
  25. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Didn’t get to play this one through all the way the last time I posted about it and have been away on a little road trip for the last week, so picking up from where I left off last with “Hard to Handle”.

budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.