The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

30 Trips back on Warner Market fyi. $750 this time though.

mmthmj and Freebird like this.
  2. Jman92

Jman92 Forum Resident

I would LOVE to get an original copy of the Watkins Glen poster. I've always loved it. And basically 2 of the my 3 all time favorite bands (I cut my teeth on the Allmans, and they got knocked out by the Dead.)

Anyone know of any reputable sites to find one, aside from eBay? I'm sure they cost a pretty penny these days....

ianuaditis likes this.
  3. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Best Dark Star ever.

Freebird, KCWhistle and bzfgt like this.
  4. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

$199
    Watkins Glen Summer Jam Poster from Grand Prix Raceway, Jul 28, 1973 at Wolfgang's

SBegonias17 likes this.
  5. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Yes, I'm sure MSG promoted the fall '94 shows using only Jerry's likeness...

[​IMG]

What's likelier here - that the Gulf Coast Arena in Biloxi, MS misspelled their headliner, or that this is a fake poster?

[​IMG]

Hey, anyone ever hear about that time Bob Marley and a Beatle played together? No one? Maybe because... it didn't friggin' happen!

[​IMG]

I guess Page and Plant knicked a couple of future song titles from this one poster! Thieving bastards!

[​IMG]

No comment...

[​IMG]

6. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Hey. I was at that show in Worcester. Dylan and Clapton came out at the end to play with Hendrix on All Along the Watchtower. Epic.

7. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

There are a lot of '73 tapes in the Betty Boards stash; the assumption has always been that she or Rex recorded them. Is this not true?

ianuaditis likes this.
  8. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Worcester gets all the good shows.

9. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Where were Jimmy Page and Peter Green? :laugh:

notesofachord and mmthmj like this.
  10. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Breaking out the big guns, 2/13/70 from Dick’s Picks 4 with the complete show assembled courtesy of the Charlie Miller sbd I downloaded from that tree site a while back. A little over a year ago this was pretty much my only exposure to live Dead (along with DiP 2). Despite the fact that I’ve spent nearly 20 years with just this recording and have since been exposed to an entire world of new (to me) live Dead, listening to this one now I still feel there was a little extra something special in the air on this night.

sami, budwhite, Crispy Rob and 9 others like this.
  11. trd

trd Forum Resident

expressobeans.com

12. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

We couldn't get in, so we hung out outside with Robert Johnson as he played for tips.

Wright, sami, budwhite and 6 others like this.
  13. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

That's not how you spell 'Cher'?

14. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

That's not how you spell 'Gregg'.

notesofachord, mmthmj and US Blues like this.
  15. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

In an issue of Guitar World i have from 2013 or so, they have a big outdoor tie-dye backdrop shot (Greek? Berkeley? Etc) clearly from the mid 80s, but its labeled as 1970 and in an article about that time Lol.

mmthmj and bzfgt like this.
  16. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

I more or less didn’t even consider going to Chicago or Santa Clara. After enough times seeing The Other Ones, The Dead, Phil and Whoever, and then Furthur, and each and every time having the experience boil down to, “yea, this is fine, but it just makes me miss Jerry even more,” my first reaction when they announced FTW was, “three nights in an 80,000 seat football stadium? No thanks!” I didn’t think they’d sell all those tickets, either.

Well, I was sure wrong, assuming my perspective was other people’s perspective. Seems the 50th Anniversary hype, along with a LOT of people’s missing the GD experience, and a LOT of younger fans who never had the chance to be in a room with Jerry and hear his craft and wizardry in person, it all equaled a resurgence in interest that I at least didn’t see coming. And which is still going strong, witness the size of venue that Weir and Co. are playing, how fast DaPs are selling out, and how much cash some of you guys have to shell out to pick up releases which are now OOP.

From the simulcasts I heard/watched, I thought Trey was fine, if underutilized (even more so with Hornsby). I thought the Remainders did an admirable job of honoring their legacy, and I thought, all things considered, it woulda been fun to be there in a group of friends and celebrate together.

Of course, I haven’t read the recent book hashing out the disfunction of that extended family, without their disfunctional paterfamilias as a grounding force.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  17. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

That's cause @Archtop used to live there. He's a magnet for great music.

18. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

For the record, I wasn't the guy driving a car on the sidewalk.

Ezzie, bmoregnr, Crispy Rob and 3 others like this.
  19. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  20. sami

sami Mono still rules

I know it's shows that are talked about here, but I just scored a mono of the debut. I love this record - I always considered it the classic garage record not classified as such, and in mono it sounds every bit the part.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Some fine day the powers will re-release this show in it's entirety. Both early and late shows.

US Blues, citizensmurf and dzhason like this.
  22. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

That will be a fine day, indeed. Fillmore East box set, anyone? Although—I don’t really have the years of experience as a lotta folks here in what tapes are actually out there, but it seemed like when I was putting together the 2-13 & 2-14 shows using Dick’s 4 and Bear’s Choice plus the CMs via etree, I was left with a few tracks off of Bear’s that were from other days (2/8 and 2/11, maybe?) and when I tried to get torrents to put together those shows it seemed like there were only AUDs available—perhaps a box isn’t really a viable option.

“The judge decreed iiiiiiit, the clerk he wrote it.” Just kidding, nice score, this record is indeed awesome.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    sami, mmthmj and ianuaditis like this.
  23. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I just finished the Fare Thee Well book last night. It was an interesting read. I don’t know how much is new information, but I wasn’t aware at how bitter some of the relations were/are amongst the Core Four. Phil and Jill really come off as huge jerks.

jazz_case, ianuaditis and KCWhistle like this.
  24. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Garcia is on record that's what they were after 'a part of the show that's weird for its own sake and not (necessarily) musically connected to anything else.' more or less (and he refers to it in similar terms in that 84 interview.)

I think in the first half of the 80s they were just getting their feet wet, space was still for the most part just like stuff that would not even be labeled when they played similarly in the 70s.

I really enjoy Space from the 90s.
    I saw the first one in a head shop, I thought it was the genuine article. Their last copy was stapled to the wall, so I didn't buy it, but I would have, and if I go back and they have another one, I will (I attended my one and only show during that run.) I seem to remember it having a different picture of Garcia though.

25. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Here's a real one that would have been pretty sweet. The original show was cancelled, so they played the next night (4-20), but the only way Rahsaan would play is if they let him headline, so they did.
    [​IMG]

Wright, KCWhistle, sami and 6 others like this.