The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Try 7/25/74.

US Blues likes this.
  2. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Or 6/18/74

US Blues likes this.
  3. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Or 9/10/74 (DP 7)

ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  4. bzfgt

Doesn't have a Dark Star! Other One is pretty fusion-y though...

5. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

After going through 2/13/70 again last night, I’d say that 3rd set might be reaching out soon to have a word with you. :targettiphat:*

*this is my face after listening to it, note that it is stolen

6. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Giving Dave's 24 it's first proper listen. I hear the problem with Phil now.

Archtop, ianuaditis, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  7. Dahabenzapple

Un Oh / I thought we were talking Morning Dew:(

ianuaditis, US Blues and bzfgt like this.
  8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

A lot of '74 jams go into that jazz/fusion space even in shows without Dark Star.

9. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

That's true, and an important distinction. My analogy skills need work. Also love how Dick's 14 both begins and ends with Morning Dew, and we get Playin' in the Band x2 and Weather Report Suite x2.

I get the sense that the first-set songs of '74 are played really well. Can't quite put my finger on what's different about them. Maybe the PNW box will help. I just dig the sound of that year, I guess. And yeah, I like Steal Your Face, too. Sometime last summer I was like, "I should buy Steal Your Face so I'll have versions of El Paso, Big River, Promised Land and Around and Around." Silly me, not realizing I'd have plenty of all of those soon enough. :laugh:

Mansley, mmthmj, wavethatflag and 6 others like this.
  10. Dahabenzapple

I heard it again the other day and I got very irritated during the otherwise great post-Truckin’ Jam and I departed before the otherwise great performance of The Other One:(

11. bzfgt

Regardless, it is as fusion-y as it gets on TOO, which is what he was asking about (albeit in Dark Stars)....

12. bzfgt

Great, underrated show though....performance-wise, I think it's dynamite....

wavethatflag likes this.
  13. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The Charlie Miller source of 8/25/72 is missing the last part of the show (second half of Other One to the end) but doesn't have the bass problem, and you can hear an extra few seconds of Other One (with a WRS Prelude reference from Weir) that they cut from Dave's to try to smooth out the reel change.

14. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Yes, and the vocals also seem strangely reverberant, as if there were a slight echo with a short delay time of 10-20 milliseconds or something. But, on the whole, I did find this set quite enjoyable on yesterday’s first listen.

15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Healy liked those reverb effects I guess.

16. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

the 2nd disc is ace

17. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

From those two series:

The best ‘73 is Dave’s 5 (11/17/73).

The best ‘74 is Road Trips 2.3

18. bzfgt

I'd put Road Trips 4.3 slightly above Dave 5, I think. Close, though.

19. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

Still in Europe. I guess I didn't take a break after Denmark. That Beat Club show on 4/21/72 is weird. Doesn't follow the contours of a '72 show at all, and as if one version of Playin' in the Band at every single Europe show wasn't enough, we get two of them this time. As for 4/24, it's obvious why that one was released back in the dark ages. A fine show all around. Still weirded out by He's Gone without the "going where the wind don't blow so strange" section. It Hurts Me Too is great enough that I feel like mentioning it. Just started 4/26 -- Mr. Charlie is very peppy!

Oh yeah, one more Danish observation: Johnny B. Goode on 4/17, the only Europe '72 version, kicks some serious butt. Gotta love how they just bring it sometimes.

20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

If I remember right, that has some problem with the drums near the end which may be why it wasn't on Hundred Year Hall. But I like every "Mr. Charlie" from E72.

21. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

Yeah, there was some problem with something at some point. That's as specific as I can get right now, but I did notice a flub. Still, a Mr. Charlie that really makes me sit up and take note is worth mentioning. This one just rises above the "reliably solid" rating I'd give the others (at least the ones I've heard).

If "I like every ______ from E72" were on a test, could there be a wrong answer, aside from something they didn't actually play on that tour? I think my response would be Black-Throated Wind. Weir's singing is pretty dependable, and even if he sometimes gets excitable during the coda, it never gets offensive. And Jerry, Keith, and Billy K. are always doing interesting things.

mmthmj, Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  22. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

A Mr. Phillip Lesh for you on line 2. He'd like a word with you.

23. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

Yeah, I think I get distracted by everyone else. I'll focus on him during the next BTW... which will be during the next show. So many to love. It appears 4/21 and 5/4 were the only shows where they didn't play it.

mmthmj, wavethatflag and US Blues like this.
  24. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Let it go to voice mail. Apparently he is a jerk. o_O

8/21/68 turns 50 today and will be celebrated, at least by me. Advanced preparation may be called for.

25. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I like Steal Your Face, I just think it sucks as 'the Grateful Dead live album from 74.' Now that it's been rectified with archive releases, I can deal, but when I heard my first tape from 74 it was like 'why the hell did they put all first set songs on Steal Your Face and not even a sniff of these insane jams?'
    It's been a bit, and I'm going through all of 74 right now, so I won't pick that one up again for a few weeks, but wasn't that more spacy than funky? Still, a tour of 74 Dark Stars would not be the worst thing any aspiring 74 fan could attempt.

mmthmj, Phoenician, bzfgt and 5 others like this.