The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Those insane jams wouldn't fit on an LP.

budwhite, mmthmj, KCWhistle and 2 others like this.
  2. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Ok, so we officially start driving, approximately next Monday.

I had a great moment of synchronicity when I realized the Pacific Northwest boxset will be released right around the time we return from our first trip to, guess where....

Oregon
    Washington
    Northern California

:D

rcb30, Mansley, budwhite and 12 others like this.
  3. warewolf95

I'm glad I grew up in the digital age and could skip right over it. I just pretend it doesn't exist - kinda like Metal Machine Music or Cut the Crap. :p

4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Congrats on getting a new gig! Longer routes through the West, load up on those long '72 thru '74 jams. :righton:

budwhite, notesofachord, sami and 7 others like this.
  5. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

a fair point. You could get Dark Star>Morning Dew from 10-18 onto either side of an LP maybe.

sami, mmthmj, KCWhistle and 2 others like this.
  6. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

You may know this, but that one wasn't a show, per se, but a taping for TV broadcast. Word is (this may be in the liner notes, I don't recall) that they had a good idea that OMSN would be the one track selected for broadcast, so all the rest is just playing it out since they took the time to set everything up. By all accounts, it must have been an odd scene, with just a few German TV studio crew milling around to watch and listen. I will say that the improv on TOO is quite different from any other improv they did on that one (particularly the latter portion of the track).

Radio Luxembourg is another odd duck. They clearly played a more mainstream set as it was for commercial radio. While you won't find any massive jams in there, the tunes are very well played. The opening Bertha features some great complimentary guitar work from Bob and Jerry (and the sound is what you'd expect from a studio recording: top shelf).

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  7. warewolf95

That's it! :)

rockinlazys, mmthmj, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  8. JasW

JasW Forum non conveniens

I jumped on it as soon as it came out in '76. I remember thinking, hmm, this sounds ... different, kinda constricted in a way sound-wise. But the fact that there were no jams didn't bother me. I was just excited to have another live LP to join (even as a relatively poor relation to) the first three live LPs. I wasn't plugged into what was then a very small tape trading community (the back pages of Relix was all I knew about it), and didn't really seek out bootlegs, so the officially recorded output was all I had. Still my favorite Stella ...

9. JasW

Speaking of second sets from '73 and '74, I ran across the picture below of Jerry in his Nudie suit, taken at the 1973-02-19 Chicago International Amphitheater show. All that apparently exists of a SBD is the second set -- but what a second set!!! The He's Gone -> Truckin' -> TOO -> Eyes -> China Doll jam kills. And Phil's own Nudie suit must have lit a fire.

[​IMG]

10. ianuaditis

wow, an amazing coincidence, I was just looking at another picture of that same show from the Taping Compendium. I set the book down, refreshed the page, and here is your post. Serendipity!

11. JasW

Hahaha, serendipity, indeed! Was it a picture of Phil in his suit?

Edit: Which would be this one:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    budwhite, mmthmj, US Blues and 6 others like this.
  12. ianuaditis

no, its Garcia at the mic. It might not be the same show either as it says Winterland 12/72, but he's got the same suit and the same guitar.

13. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

They are good... but the Summer '71 Mr Charlie's are even better!

(Just a personal opinion, but I love the edgy tone of the Les Paul TV Special that Jerry had in that period & Phil seems to give the tune extra bounce, in the stripped-down Sk*llf*ck lineup of the band)

14. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Hmm, I doubt it - the poster looks too cheap and generic for MSG to have put out in 1994. Visually, it is quite reminiscient of those other fake posters as well. And it shares the quirk of emphasizing the frontman at the expense of the band, which a few of these fake ones tend to do:

[​IMG]

US Blues and wavethatflag like this.
  15. JasW

They apparently only wore them 3 times -- that Winterland show, the Int'l Amphitheater show, and 1973-03-19 Nassau Coliseum.

16. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Still have the LP. Cannot get rid of this drum machined 80s monstrosity.

[​IMG]

17. warewolf95

First time I heard Dictator, I legitimately thought there was a problem. YOU CAN'T EVEN MAKE OUT THE SONG THERE'S SO MANY SOUND EFFECTS WHY?!?!

:(

KeninDC likes this.
  18. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Is it me or is Jefferson Airplane always the special guest on these fake posters?

Mansley, mmthmj, Archtop and 2 others like this.
  19. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I thought the original question was "fusion-y" or something, of which I think the DP 7 sort of qualifies...I don't know about funky though. For fusion-y I still say TOO 6/18/74 takes the cake....

Six Bachelors likes this.
  20. JasW

I passed. I bought B.A.D. instead.

notesofachord and KeninDC like this.
  21. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

I guess there's not enough fake demand for them, so that's what they're being relegated to...

22. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

It was pretty early on in my listening to live Dead too, though not until the 80s in my case. It might even have been the first live one I had. It was my introduction to a lot of songs, I had that before Wake of the Flood and certainly way before Garcia. I don't think I've heard a note of it since the early 90s, but it's hard to think of it other than fondly.

Crispy Rob and KCWhistle like this.
  23. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Listening to the "Let Mickey Sing" show, 7/3/88 Oxford, ME. This is also an IWT show. @Crispy Rob was also there, but I didn't know him then.

24. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

I sort of semi-knew this about Beat Club, and it's obvious when you listen to it that it's an artificial setting, but I definitely did not know that about One More Saturday Night being the thing that "mattered" (according to someone other than the band's own standards). Makes sense, though, having heard it. And I can't suppose anyone will complain about having two more E72 Playin's and a big Truckin'>The Other One.

I also definitely did not know that about Luxembourg. 5/16, yes? There's a big Truckin'>The Other One there, too, but it's also a shorter show in general.

So bad, although I love This Is England (which I guess is the predictable pick if you're wanting to salvage something from this steaming pile).

Back to the GD, is the Hundred Year Hall China Cat>Rider universally acknowledged as an early high point for that pairing? I have no idea, but holy cow, I just listened to that, and not for the first time, but it's great.

25. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I have a nice poster, hand bill and post card collection of fillmore era items. Generally I try for 1st printings when they show up at a reasonable price. One thing I will never buy are the Wolfgang's vault posters with their name on them.