The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Dallas, got a soft machine...

Crispy Rob, warewolf95 and trd like this.
  2. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I was at both Centrum shows in both 10/83 and 10/84. My frat house was only a mile from the Centrum.

3. US Blues

I saw one show each year, had to drive over from Albany. A mile away is very convenient, and good shows, too.

Crispy Rob, Archtop and ianuaditis like this.
  4. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

5/11:
    Set 2 0.8% (about 13-14 cents)

5/13:
    1% (about 16-17 cents)

5/16:
    d1: .8% (about 13-14 cents)
    d2: .6% (about 10 cents)

5. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

In case anyone is wondering, 6-18-94 might just be the best version of Corrina ever. This makes 2 good shows in a row up in Oregon, Garcia is really into it.

6. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Nice to know. It's a bit surprising that the tapes recorded on the big Ampex MM100o 16-track machine wouldn't play back perfectly when they digitized them 35 or so years later. Maybe it has something to do with the European voltage that powered the unit on those nights?

7. US Blues

Thanks for doing the research on this. :righton:

trd likes this.
  8. KCWhistle

KCWhistle Forum Resident

Thanks, all. She was great. Mostly outdoors during her youth in Austin, and exclusively indoors when we moved to Portland (the one in the PNW) in 2008 and everywhere since. The kidney disease started creeping in a few years ago, and she had about one health scare per year until this spring. The past four or five months have been rougher, but I was honestly pretty surprised when we brought her in on Thursday and her numbers were off-the-charts bad. She was so sweet, and the house feels different in her absence, as I suspect it will for a while. First pet in my life, and turned me into a total cat person. We have another, and I'm probably projecting, but she seems a little sad. The cat snuggles are in unusually high supply.

Anyway, I appreciate the kind words and thoughts. Y'all are good people. Back to your regularly scheduled Grateful Dead! I'll start Dave's 9 tonight. Among my favorite cover art!

9. ianuaditis

The photographer really got a good picture of the U of Montana quad with all the students.

KCWhistle and US Blues like this.
  10. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I’m about to go crash hard, but first I’m trying to decide what to listen to for a little bit beforehand. I was thinking initially to play a little Lester Young with Count Basie, but then I started thinking that it might be a little to zippy and that this might be a good time to break out the last ‘73 show from the PNW box for a brief first listen. Things are still a bit up in the air on this decision.

11. ianuaditis

I'm sure I mentioned 9-11-74 in the PNW box thread, it's worth another mention here.

If you haven't heard the Seastones>Eyes of the World>Wharf Rat sequence, you should probably drop everything and go check it out right away. In the first set Scarlet Begonias (after the mix is agreed upon) and Playin in the Band are standouts.

Meanwhile the end of 6-18-94 - Space was a bit tame for 94, but the Last Time and Days Between form the core of a solid post-space sequence, in spite of a couple of words being lost in Days Between.

Not a bad follow up to the best Corinna ever. (I think Trey said @wavethatflag was at this show?)

Crispy Rob, jazz_case and US Blues like this.
  12. notesofachord

I dig Keith's Moog-tones on the Fire on the Mountain intro on 4/25/77. This may be a "baby" Scarlet>Fire, but it's very enjoyable even in its infancy. The outro of "Fire" actually kind of rocks out!

There's something about this "Samson and Delilah" that is hitting me just right. Keith's tones, the tempo, Jerry's playing - it all comes together on this one. This is a top 5 version for me, at least on first impression. A surprise really, I wasn't expecting a standard song like this to be a highlight of the show.

Terrapin Station is on now. Keith's lines are excellent. In fact, this is one of the best '77 Keith Godchaux performances that I've heard. Perhaps one of the reasons that Dave picked this one?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    Crispy Rob and RockRoom like this.
  13. notesofachord

Agreed with above (except for the striked out bit). Plus the U.S. Blues encore is an explosion of energy. That's a top ten US Blues for sure.

funknik likes this.
  14. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Help>Slipknot>Franklin
    5/9/77

Of course, this show is better than Cornell.

15. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I just love the 5/13/77 "The Other One". The band lays off little by little and Jerry stays playing by himself during a couple of delicate minutes. Exquisite.
    May 1977 is such a marvelous release, and yet it took years for it to sell out. Fancy that.

Mansley, Crispy Rob, adamos and 2 others like this.
  16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Disc 2.
    One of the best second sets the Dead ever played.

17. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

[​IMG]

Edited for time.

Jack Straw
    Sugaree
    Promised Land
    PITB>
    China Cat>Rider
    China Doll>
    Playin' Jam>
    Drums>
    NFA>
    Playin' reprise
    Terrapin

plus

Estimated>Eyes>St. Stephen>Sugar Mags

All that in just a bit over 2 hours.

18. trd

trd Forum Resident

The China>Rider bustout. Oh what could have been, had they been playing those tunes all year long

19. ianuaditis

And that was the only one for more than a year, I wonder if 78 would have ever had such a 'reputation' if they'd played that in that year too.

KCWhistle and trd like this.
  20. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Of course, I do listen to Let it Grow without Dark Star and the mighty 5/14/78 version from the porch sag-inducer is currently blazing by. Jerry just doesn't want to stop. Keith does some interesting stuff starting at 9:49, so '78 wasn't a total loss for him. Just over 11 minutes in and another six to go...surely this is the finest LiG post-hiatus?

Crispy Rob, LucaB, US Blues and 6 others like this.
  21. ianuaditis

Since your comment stems from your discussion of Let it Grow emerging from Dark Star in April 72, I guess I should mention I've just heard the 'proto-Shakedown Street' jam in the middle of Playin' in the Band from 9-18-74 for the first time.

Also, I only listened to it twice, but I think the 74 version is my favorite arrangement of Friend of the Devil.

22. notesofachord

The 6/24/85 version from the porch sagger is pretty impressive. It has an aggressive edge, but is very well jammed out.

Crispy Rob, Archtop and trd like this.
  23. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

If we are on the topic of post-hiatus versions of "Let It Grow," I remember a crazed version from the first show of 1983, 3/25/83 in Arizona.

24. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

That's a pretty good one. Jerry's on.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  25. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

not as long but the 10/11/77 Let it Grow from the October 77 RT is Burning Hot

Crispy Rob, LucaB, US Blues and 6 others like this.