The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

From Jeffrey Norman interview in 2007

Tell me about the differences between mixing, say, the 10-CD 1969 Fillmore West box, and mixing Europe ’72 material.

Well, they each have their challenges. On the Europe ’72 recordings, the drums are a little dark and dull-sounding, and they needed some brightening. Cutler came up with a great idea when he did some mixing of Europe ’72 material [for Hundred Year Hall], which is to use an Aphex Aural Exciter [audio processor] on the drums. There’s something about the Aphex that really brings things out.

I’d love to be able to mix some more from Europe ’72 and use this Plangent Processes [audio restoration tool] I used on the recent Cow Palace set [from 16-track recordings of New Year’s Eve 1976]. What this company — actually, this individual, Jamie Howarth — is able to do is to look in the digital domain at the bias frequency in analog tapes. [The Plangent tool] takes away the irregularities that are found in every analog tape, but keeps the character — the fullness, maybe the tape overdrive, or whatever; the good parts of the tape. It sounds great on cymbals and gives a clarity to the entire recording. I’d love to be able to use that mixing some Europe ’72. And I wish I’d known about it when I did the Fillmore West, because as much as I like that Fillmore West box set, it would’ve sounded even better. [For lots more on this technology, go to plangentprocesses.com]

The ’69 tapes were pretty punchy. The way those were recorded by [Bob] Matthews — taking the microphone straight into the tape machine and bypassing [console] electronics and control, the end result is there are some things that sound fine and others that are clipping, and there’s distortion on some tracks because they’re just too loud. The first day, the 27th [3/27/69], was fine; the 28th I struggled a lot with distorted vocals.

Mixing and Mastering the Dead’s Archives with Jeffrey Norman | Grateful Dead

2. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

Er, like I've just missed 2834 pages but have finally bought a copy of Sunshine Daydream. Excellent.

3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

From the versions I found on the Archive the intro is there on 7/2/71, absent on 8/26/71 but back again on 12/10/71. Not sure why it was missing on 8/26.

US Blues likes this.
  4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Dedicated to Owsley.

trd likes this.
  5. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

it was also missing on 8-5-71.

trd likes this.
  6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

But it is there on 8/24/71...the mystery continues.

ianuaditis likes this.
  7. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Long story short, people pretty much love it. I know I do.

KCWhistle, adamos and US Blues like this.
  8. US Blues

15 October 1976- Shrine Auditorium, LA.

Dear FSM,

Please return the missing reel to the Vault so Dave can pick this show.

~ rAmen

9. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Listened to 10/3/76 Cobo Arena today. While I agree with the notion that it’s not one of the better shows in the 30 Trips box, I do think it has some nice moments. Could be that I was just in the mood for some ‘76 after the Daves’s announcement but I enjoyed it, particularly Scarlet Begonias, Playing, The Wheel, Comes A Time and NFA.

10. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Ladies and Gentlemen....The Grateful Dead

• Great performances
    • Great recording
    • Great song selection
    • Great album cover
    • Pigpen

KCWhistle, Erik B., adamos and 11 others like this.
  11. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I listened to Bird Song again today from 10-18-72. The performance is outstanding but the mix isn't great, a little too much Weir relative to Garcia. I didn't notice that last night with headphones, but did today in the car.

PiTB and Truckin'>TOO from 1972-12-31 is some exceptional music.

John69, adamos, Crispy Rob and 3 others like this.
  12. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Yes, that's a Weir heavy show in terms of the mix. I like it

bzfgt likes this.
  13. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Another great Other One/Me And My Uncle transition.

14. Six Bachelors

It doesn’t really work like that. When Weir is out of tune, it’s usually excruciatingly out of tune. Guitar ability or not, when it’s bad, it’s bad.

15. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Well, I don't know what to listen for.
    People say that Pigpen sings out of tune/key. I can't say that I hear that either

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  16. Six Bachelors

I think he isn’t so bad in this department. Singing off beat is another thing. Hard To Handle from 4 February ‘70 comes to mind. Ouch.

17. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

That was the last show I attended. Jerry was great that night-they roared right out of the box with “Help on the Way”.

Crispy Rob, Ray29 and notesofachord like this.
  18. Freebird

Is The Grateful Dead - The Golden Road the goto release for the early studio albums?

19. US Blues

AoxoMoxoA

notesofachord likes this.
  20. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I pulled out the Sunshine Daydream DVD again the other night. It's so much funnier to watch the "Dew" vs "El Paso" pulling out of "Dark Star" on screen. Especially when Bobby gets all miffed about his monitor (I assume).

Crispy Rob and notesofachord like this.
  21. Freebird

Melting my brain with this nugget from 10-15-76

[​IMG]

22. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Currently 11/17/72 (DaP 11) and queued up after that is 3/28/73 (DaP 16) because it was mentioned recently.

23. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Much non-Dead otherworldly improv over the weekend

NP:

Two from the Vault from August 68

I don’t listen to this often but it’s got a power sometimes even more visceral than the great early famous 1969 shows. Pig’s organ stands out as sounding maybe better than it ever did.

24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

One of the last gigs before Pig and Weir were "fired" and T.C. joined the group.

25. kevin

kevin Senior Member

I'm listening to 10/15/94 MSG [the complete 1st set]on Today in Grateful Dead history on SiriusXM's Grateful Dead channel via the webstream.