The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

2. HardTimesRoughLines

HardTimesRoughLines She learned me life is sweet and God is good

Finally got round to playing Sunshine Daydream. Probably being n00bish again but I like this show. Was originally going to watch the bluray last weekend but my player broke down and I haven't had time to plug in the new one yet. So for now the ancient Electrocompaniet and B&W Nautilus in my livingroom will have to make do. This is radically good! And such great sound on the recording as well. Thanks those of you that 'forced me' to listen to this one, it is truly sublime.
    Was the guy that spoke at the beginning the 'Pole Guy'? I seriously have NO idea what that name is supposed to mean:biglaugh:

Best regards,

HTRL

KCWhistle, laf848, Crispy Rob and 5 others like this.
  3. trd

trd Forum Resident

You will know it when you see it

And it cannot be unseen

4. ianuaditis

I don't want to 'ruin' it for you, I think you pretty much can't miss who pole guy is.

KCWhistle, Ray29, uzn007 and 4 others like this.
  5. HardTimesRoughLines

HardTimesRoughLines She learned me life is sweet and God is good

I think that the bluray player breaking down was probably a sign for me to just leave it be.

Great Playing in the Band here of course. Jerry and Bob is doing some serious meshing of their pretty different styles. But the star is Keith, his playing before and just after they find the main riff again around the 16 minute mark is what music is supposed to be about (more than pole guys :cussing:).

Think mr Godchaux is my favorite of them all.

Best regards,

HTRL

6. "this just might be your kind of zoo"

KCWhistle, uzn007, trd and 3 others like this.
  7. Monroro

Monroro Forum Resident

That's one of my favorite all time GD jams. Thanks for the insight. I'll be sure give it a listen looking out for Keith more.

8. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

Road Trips Vol 4 No 4 (Philly Spectrum '82). It's a shame they didn't record any multitracks for '82 or '83 and release a live album to provide songs that Dead Set had missed. Shakedown and Terrapin especially to show what those could sound like instead of the studio versions.

9. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

11. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Pole guy aside it’s a really cool video, especially as sunset approaches. I’d still watch it once you’re able.

12. ianuaditis

I believe someone has that picture as their avatar, or at least they did for a while.

HardTimesRoughLines and Erik B. like this.
  13. runonguinness

runonguinness Forum Resident

Someone really should ask Iggy Pop where he was that day and if he has any witnesses

14. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

I haven't heard near enough stuff from November 1972.

Playing in the Band - 11-15-1972 Civic Center Music Hall

15. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

4/25/77 Passaic. Really nice Wharf Rat; that whole sequence in the second set is good stuff.

Keith certainly sounds Nintendo-esque at one point in the Scarlet > Fire. But it was an interesting experiment and it’s a unique and enjoyable version.

16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Keith used the Polymoog a lot in those April 77 shows. By May he didn't use it much other than in Estimated Prophet.

17. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Resuming my initial pnw box set listening with 5/19/74 tonight. Should be excellent.

18. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

5/19/74.. I realize some of the other first-set stuff is hampered by a bad mix but Loose Lucy really is excellent here and got my attention. Say what you will about the lyrics, Money Money is a groovin' song. I can see why Keith didn't like playing it, he's kind of just laying down Vince-like colors and not really given the opportunity to dig into the groove at all, at least not judging by the mix. I just think it's that Keith didn't really enjoy structured songs so much as improvising in these early years. At any rate, I think he's fantastic here in what he does. Time to the flip the disc....

19. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

This showed up in my Twitter feed today. Bob Weir chatting with David Sanborn, then, uh... Screamin' Jay Hawkins and Bongwater w/ Hiram Bullock, Rob Wasserman, and Bobby strumming along in the background. They don't make 'em like this anymore. Shame.

20. trd

trd Forum Resident

Wow :laugh:

21. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Go check out the recent 11/22/72 source. So much Phil.

Jack Cerro, bzfgt, US Blues and 2 others like this.
  22. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Show 3 PNW box set

US Blues, Crispy Rob and trd like this.
  23. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

This is still on my want list

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    Scope J and trd like this.
  24. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

That's a monster PitB!

There's a fantastic Dark Star from 11/13 that is a bit under the radar because there isn't a SDB available. But Owsley recorded a fine AUD tape fortunatly.
    Highly recommended!

25. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Does anybody know if the current Warner era EU Rhino Vinyl releases are the Chris Bellman/Bernie Grundman AAA cuts?