The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

After it was over, DL2 came back on and said something like, "I wouldn't be surprised if that was put out on CD one day", but then warned that "it's not in the most recent stuff we did". He said that they wrapped up work on Dave's 29 and are starting work on 30.

What a tease!

budwhite, bzfgt and US Blues like this.
  2. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

That's not the word that came to my mind. You are a better man than I.

Archtop likes this.
  3. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

That’d be a guiro!

trd, KeninDC, notesofachord and 3 others like this.
  4. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Getting settled. 3-1/2 hour drive. These dudes better kick *** tonight. Rumor is Oteil is on bass:)

5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Ween is on tour right now, so makes sense that Oteil is filling in for Dave Dreiwitz. I was supposed to go see Ween's country shows at the Ryman this week, but work craziness made me have to cancel the trip. Grrr.

US Blues likes this.
  6. US Blues

Looking forward to spot reports and a full review. My best to Barbara.

bzfgt likes this.
  7. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

In "This Day in GD" content, I'm a huge fan of 10/18/78. From Egypt With Love at Winterland. First set cooks.

8. US Blues

Terrapin Station > Playing In The Band...

9. US Blues

Hey, this is really good! I love it when my memory works. :winkgrin:

10. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Um so, starting in on the Ark Box as it were. This thing that we imagine will happen and someday will. Next year I predict, given the irresistible penchant to release goodies on anniversary years evenly divisible by 5. The year Twenty Nineteen will bring forth the Ark of the box, the 40th anniversary of this run of shows. I think a Spring release would be especially lovely, which means, it's not too far off.

11. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Based on 'the narrative' I kept expecting there to be some kind of noticeable decline near the end of 78, but those shows were all really good. Dick said 10-21 was 'perhaps the most exciting show on the West Coast since the late 60s.' so there's that to look forward to in a couple of days, for those so inclined.

warewolf95, budwhite and US Blues like this.
  12. US Blues

50 years.

Where does the time go?

13. US Blues

Who do you believe? The Narrative, or your good friend @US Blues? :tiphat:

14. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I see someone is playing attention. :tiphat: Great title by the way: Where Does The Time Go: The Ark 1969

warewolf95, talkingleaf and US Blues like this.
  15. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Ark Box next year.
    Alaska "Summer Solstice 1980" Box for 2020.

Just exactly....

16. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

"Baked Alaska" box, you mean...

17. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Those Alaska shows. There is a real fascination with them. I mean, I am one of them lol, but it's another one of those vibes I think that is special. Some good music, sure, but kind of under the radar shows.

warewolf95 likes this.
  18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Maybe not quite Lake Placid level, but one of the better Sugarees of the 1980's and the overall feel of those shows in very cool.

warewolf95 and budwhite like this.
  19. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Full review tomorrow or Saturday - rough start fir us but maybe not the band. Great second set. Get ready for the highlight:

Row Jimmy

EPIC

Tears came to my eyes. It was that great.

20. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Jerry wears nothing out.

warewolf95 and ianuaditis like this.
  21. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I wonder if part of the bad press is the presentation - two discs only for a '74 show makes it seem kind of wimpy and hesitant (the whole show is not presented, obviously) and after the Playing sandwich on disc 2, the rest is quite tame. The Playing palindrome thingy is regarded as the worst (third best) of the three but it's really quite good. The transitions aren't that impressive but there is a lot to like about it.

The back-end of WRS itself is quite stunning so, whatever one thinks about the rest of it, that part makes the whole thing worthwile. It's just that the entirety of that official releases is rather underwhelming compared with, say, Dave's 13 from a month earlier and in that sense I can see why this goes under the radar. I wonder why it was only a two disc release. Trying to agitate more sales by a cheaper price? Rest of the show is crummy? Tape problems?

Speaking of shows surrounding the Cow Palance show, I am finally getting onto the recent May '74 boxset,* starting with Missoula (which does sound a little peppy - i.e. fast). I had forgotten how brilliantly dissonant the Playing is. Nevermind the double Donna car crash at the end of it. They go quite deep into this one without ever abandoning rhythm. A high quality version of it to be sure. I already know I love this Star - well, mostly the disintegration of order (I forget - is that the Tiger jam?) towards the end.

*That is, the imaginary May '74 boxset, containing the Missoula, Vancouver, Seattle and Portland shows.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  22. US Blues

Broken heart don't feel so bad
    Ain't got half a what you thought you had...

warewolf95 and Dahabenzapple like this.
  23. US Blues

That is a good title. Let's get Dave on the horn and orient him properly for next year's box set.

warewolf95 and talkingleaf like this.
  24. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

25. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Oh, I don't know. I feel like he beat the hell out of C -sharp over the years.