The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Not surprising that all of those have been released in some form or another.

Another evening of jams portend. Currently it's Good Lovin' from Three From The Vault 2/19/71 and there's a reference to "circle around the sun" made by Pigpen. Perhaps that is where that came from. This is Pig at his best.

budwhite, US Blues, trd and 2 others like this.
  2. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

This is really good.

ianuaditis likes this.
  3. trd

trd Forum Resident

@Dahabenzapple youre getting me excited for the 2 night run at the Oakland fox in November. I haven’t seen them since April 17, I think the longest I’ve gone without a JRAD show since I first saw them. I did check Ween’s tour dates and it looks like Dave should be at the Oakland run

Currently listening to the audio from Downhill From Here. I’ve been living pretty deep in the early 70s for awhile and this is a nice way to come up for air.

Crispy Rob and Dahabenzapple like this.
  4. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Where what came from? There's "Everybody's dancing in a ring around the sun" from "The Golden Road," but before that there's "Stealin'" which says "Put your arms around me like a circle round the sun..."

US Blues likes this.
  5. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Having spent the last few days in 1969, I decided to abruptly fast forward to 1990, specifically the 3/24/90 tracks on Dozin’ At The Knick. I wouldn’t begin to say that it’s the same, but I will say that it’s still magical. On a good night, regardless of era, this band was able to channel the spirit.

6. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

The Cassidy from Without A Net came from this show.

Nice Death Don't>Lovelight as well.

7. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

First pass @ 5/23/69 Dark Star as I picked up the re-issue of RT 4.1 today. Short (slightly under 19 minutes) but stunning stuff especially post verse. Wow. Again. This band’s historical recordings keep blowing me away. Had to take a break going into The Eleven as it was so intense plus I had a meeting....

Back to 6/26/73 and the mid-section of this show is quite something. I think this is the sleeper great show from the box.

8. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

If you ever have to go back, hop across the border to Ciudad Juarez. It will put El Paso into perspective.

warewolf95 likes this.
  9. US Blues

Stop right there. Holy Moly! Knowing how this band plays, and seeing that sequence of songs, I can't even begin to wrap my DNA around how amazing that hour of music was in person.

Knowing your deep love and appreciation for free jazz and the practitioners of the Art, this comes across as extraordinarily high praise.

I'm glad you and Barbara had the good fortune to experience JRAD at the Tower.

budwhite, Crispy Rob, adamos and 2 others like this.
  10. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

The Althea I linked earlier is also on that album, I picked that one up in 95-96. I didn't like it at first, but it ultimately grew on me. If I had the World to Give is pretty good too, the only thing I never came around to was Warren Haynes doing Stop that Train.

There's a Dylan Reggae compilation called 'Is it Rolling Bob' that comes with the 'version' on Disc 2, I wish they'd done that with 'Fire on the Mountain.'

11. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I’ve had, and enjoyed these, for years. The version of World to Give is an absolute highlight IMO. That and the Bonnie Prince Billy version might be the best ones ever, surpassing the original even.

ianuaditis likes this.
  12. Dahabenzapple

Plus you know WHAT???

Phil Lesh and the Kids + Jimmy Herring 11/2 @ Capital Theatre First Row Center Balcony. Tempted to spend double $$$ for the Loge but Row A Center as much as one could hope for.

For the naysayers do NOT listen to these ugly fake rumours about this band. 9/6/18 was pretty great - second set was more than that - and methinks we can’t pass it up so we be there again for the great man and his band.

trd and US Blues like this.
  13. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Ras Michael and the Sons of Negus did the reggae version -

This says it came out in 97, which means I must have gotten it around the time it came out, I remember having that in high school.

DrLunchbox and uzn007 like this.
  14. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

The meltdown after the verse on the Dark Star of 1972-11-13 is the ultimate meltdown of all time, maybe.

uzn007 and US Blues like this.
  15. US Blues

You're getting into @warewolf95 territory here, you need to use more "ALL CAPS" and exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bzfgt and warewolf95 like this.
  16. US Blues

First row center balcony at the Cap is where Ken Leigh made all of the iconic audience recordings back in the day. Ken was an usher and he taped hundreds of shows, his recordings are the core sources of Dead shows for which no SBD's exist. When you are there please offer up some appreciation for the history of the building, the music, and those seats.

bzfgt, Crispy Rob, jazz_case and 3 others like this.
  17. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Plus Jeff Chimenti played in the band during a tour, too.

trd likes this.
  18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

There is also this song that uses "circle around the sun" in the first verse. The other two verses are in another song the Dead performed.

bzfgt and talkingleaf like this.
  19. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

They were on a roll in November 1972. Check out the Dark Star>meltdown from 11/19.

US Blues and uzn007 like this.
  20. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

It's a keeper.

US Blues likes this.
  21. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

That sounds about right. I remember getting both volumes in HS. For the record, the Bonnie Prince Billy version is on the Day of the Dead compilation.

Saturday Sessions: Bonnie 'Prince' Billy sings "If I had the World to give"

22. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I think you'll find more "Caution" jams in fall and winter of 79 if you poke around. Isn't there one on the famous 12-26-79 show? 12-1-79? I can't remember now, but if you listen to all those long pre-drums jams from that era, it will be time well-spent in any case.

notesofachord, bzfgt, adamos and 2 others like this.
  23. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

Good meltdown in the TDIH, 10/20/90 after the first verse of Dark Star. The drums get really trippy with some great vocal stereo effects. Awesome stuff!

notesofachord, bzfgt and ianuaditis like this.
  24. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Don’t forget 3/18/77

bzfgt and Crispy Rob like this.
  25. Dahabenzapple

I think Ken was in the Loge section. If I wasn’t married, I’d have paid the price for those seats but they are each ~ $100 more than the still great seats we will be sitting in:)

bzfgt likes this.