The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

78 is just too long. It's 4 in the morning by the time the third set starts. That has something to do with it IMO. And apparently everyone was tripping pretty hard that night, so there's that, too.

I just snagged 12/31/76 off ebay yesterday after all the praise it's received here. I am partial to 12/31/84. Great Shakedown opener and killer Baby Blue encore.

2. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

12/31/72 is among my favorites but I'm biased as it was my only visit to winterland. 12/31/71 doesn't get a lot of mentions but I always liked it. The unique version of dancing in the street is a great opener. It's a nice transition show to 72.

3. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I agree with both points. I wasn't saying that prople come for JRAD'S singing. They did Throwing Stones when I saw them, weaving in and out of the song into free jams and back. The crowd gets restless during the jams and snaps back to attention during the vocals.

Days Between was a poor choice for FTW. I was there that night too.
    During D/S, I was thinking about what was left to come. NFA was very likely and Touch of Grey was a lock.
    I was hoping for a Playing reprise to finish from the first night. That would have picked the crowd back up.
    Unbroken Chain and Days Between were chosen for sentimental reasons but didn't help the show that night.
    Attics was an appropriate closer, but everyone there was hoping to go out on a high note.

Dahabenzapple likes this.
  4. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

NYE '76 is brilliant too, of course. Fun and singular version of "Around & Around."

laf848 and Crispy Rob like this.
  5. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

More Aarhus: PiTB is brilliant, Dire Wolf is surprisingly good.

ianuaditis, Crispy Rob and adamos like this.
  6. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I love someone loving Aarhus. I still think pound for pound my favorite show of the tour.

ianuaditis, Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  7. libertycaps

Aarhus has a deep Dose of Bolos, imho. As in who the hell is this band on stage? Much weirdness. Lols.

ianuaditis likes this.
  8. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

That show must, I repeat must come out officially some day. It needs to be in the canon.

9. libertycaps

^I second that emotion. Dave to release would be a tip of the hat to Dick Lavata and his first pick too.

KCWhistle, US Blues and notesofachord like this.
  10. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I will agree with the consensus that 12/31/78 is not a great show. However, the event itself is momentous. I mean, it was the Closing of Winterland, which had been home base for the big Bill Graham Bay Area shows for over ten years. Kesey and his pranksters were there, the acid was flowing, The Blues Brothers and NRPS opened and it was televised live and broadcast on FM. It's well worth owning the DVD, IMO.

My favorite part of the concert is the freaky Rhythm Devils segment where Kesey and his people come on to the stage with their strange machine. Lee Oskar and Greg Errico are nice additions in this jam. Plus John Cipollina joins in and kills it during the NFA that follows. Classic acid-rock Cipollina!

11. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Also their last show at Fillmore West is not really a good show; as I recall, a lot of it is badly out of tune, and the setlist is not particularly appealing or exploratory. Yet it's a popular show at the Archive--because of the event, and it was widely bootlegged back in the day, I guess. The night Janis died is like that, too. It might be the worst Grateful Dead performance that I've heard, but, "it's the night Janis died, man!"

ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

10/4/70 had some fame because it was one of the first FM broadcast Dead shows. I also remember tuning problems on 7/2/71 but it had the "Other One" dedication to Owsley and was also a broadcast.

13. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Oh it was you who posted this to begin with. That would have cleared some things up.

ianuaditis likes this.
  14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I watched this once and I remember it was interesting seeing the Dead band members work with the guests. You can see Bill let Greg Errico play his drums on "Around and Around" after Errico stayed on timbales all through NFA.

Crispy Rob and notesofachord like this.
  15. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Holy crap. They finally show Keith during the last half-hour of the presentation. I'm watching the Veneta DVD again. I think I'll make it to the end.

I've listened to the Veneta audio more than a few times, but the show was never happening for me on DVD. I'll have to try it again though all at once and not in a dozen small segments.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  16. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

PNW box show 5

Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  17. trd

trd Forum Resident

Finally getting to 5/21/74 from the box, specifically at the WRS->China Doll

18. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Nyet. I saw them in January '79, then in September again at MSG for 3 nights.

The interesting contrast for me was in PA between my first 2 shows in January and the next 3 in September. The impact of the Meyer's subwoofers on the sound in such a big room was immediately apparent in the best possible way. And the vibration during Drums (which included the newly added Beast) was something else, MSG was shaking all the way down to the bottom of Penn Station.

19. trd

trd Forum Resident

I’ve felt that room do that. Phish, 12/29/98. During the portion of You Enjoy Myself right after the lyrics Page plays a riff a couple of times on the B3. This time he did it on a moog synthesizer (same one he used in Frankenstein) and he made the whole room shake. It was visceral.

That suspended room is really cool when it gets moving.

20. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Yesterday I listened to the 41-minute Truckin' > The Other One from PNW 6-22-73 a couple of times. A real highlight of the box for me.

[​IMG]

Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me,
    Other times I can barely see.

21. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I experienced the following things today, among others: spent time here, exercised while watching the Danny Fields documentary on Netflix, had a nice lunch with my father, attended an MLS match, got romantic with my wife, ate a big burrito and played portions of 5/3/72 LOUD. Not a bad Sunday.

Crispy Rob, jazz_case, trd and 7 others like this.
  22. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

[​IMG]

if i had the world to give

23. HardTimesRoughLines

HardTimesRoughLines She learned me life is sweet and God is good

Hahaha! Now this is funny. It is three in the morning over here and NO sleep. Still hungover from Friday because I very rarely drink and yesterday felt like Death himself was at the door. Four hours till work so this will be interesting. But thanks for the laugh! :biglaugh:

Actually had a little PM conversation with @Crispy Rob a few days ago and mentioned that my brother didn't really like the Beatles that much. 'So he must have loved this place' , was the words I used. Well, I see that his lack in admiration for the Fab Four (or rather the hype) is common knowledge around here. There are so many strange threads about them too. What did Ringo eat for breakfast before they recorded Lady Madonna and even worse.

Did the Dead ever cover the Beatles? Of course they did (probably) but is there anything good/great/horrible I must check out?

Best regards,

HTRL

24. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

The Dead played Hey Jude a few times with Pigpen and later with Brent.
    Revolution and Day Tripper showed up in the 80s.
    In the 90's they played Rain, Its All Too Much, Lucy In The Sky, Tomorrow Never Knows.

There may be some others.
    Hey Jude was sloppy but fun with Pig, better with Brent.
    The rest were mostly forgettable in my opinion.

25. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

They played "I Want To Tell You" when I saw them in '94. Nothing amazing but it worked pretty well with Jerry singing.