The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I saw that at Shoreline in '94, it was fun.

Also saw the first 3 performances of Revolution. The first one at MSG was special as we were just down the Avenue from Strawberry Fields, the John Lennon Memorial in Central Park.

2. HardTimesRoughLines

HardTimesRoughLines She learned me life is sweet and God is good

Will have to check out these covers. Cannot really fathom the Dead playing Hey Jude but will meet it with an open ear and mind. Of course I both know and love the Garcia Band version of Dear Prudence which is fantastic and also one of my favorite Beatles songs. Hopefully it will be like that.

Watched parts of the Closing of Winterland yesterday. That sadly wasn't really too great IMO. Very sloppy playing and low energy levels. Perhaps it was just my hangover putting me off psychedelic jamming or such. Will try again later.

Best regards,

HTRL

3. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

4. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

7/2/71 has more than 1,000,000 views on the Archive, that's pretty crazy.
    IWT, I'm pretty sure. I went to one of those shows, I think it was that one... It might have been 97 instead.

frightwigwam and trd like this.
  5. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I put on 3 May. It's excellent, but Aarhus smokes it. But the ensuing Other One>BMG>Other One is out of this world. Phil plays his intro lick about 700 times, but the band keeps hovering, taking their time getting to the rocking stuff. Mind blowing, I was "on" no "substances" of any kind and yet my mind was quite blown. Another absolutely stellar career highlight, if you ask me.

I will have to look in on some of those other Truckins and see if they stack up to Aarhus, that is my favorite one right now, and I don't remember much about those even though I have listened to them all except maybe 10 May of which I have no memory. I've surely listened to 26 April in the past year even, but now I don't remember the details. And I know I listened to 7 April summer of 2017.

Crispy Rob, US Blues and budwhite like this.
  6. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Pembroke Pines '77 is my favorite all-time Dew.

Crispy Rob, Matthew Tate and bzfgt like this.
  7. bzfgt

Me too--Minglewood Blues, 9/18/90. The whole place was shaking like an earthquake, this was the first time I'd seen them with Hornsby on piano and he was pounding it and the place was going crazy. It was one of the hottest performances I've ever witnessed, I don't think the recording does it justice.

8. bzfgt

Also "That Would be Something" (McCartney)

9. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

IMO, Jerry did better Beatle covers solo than the Dead managed. Jerry’s version of Dear Prudence, like you noted, is terrific. Also seek out, from JGB shows in Feb/March 1980, the excellent combo of After Midnight > Eleanor Rigby (instrumental).

Enjoy!

10. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Yeah, its pretty much the polar opposite of JGB doing Dear Prudence.

SBegonias17 and bzfgt like this.
  11. bzfgt

Dark Star 5/25/72--outstanding! Outstanding.

12. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I finally finished my first ever run through the Europe '72 tour recently. Obviously, the May shows are fresher in my mind. I remember that the Radio Luxembourg (5/16/72) Truckin' was quite powerful and rockin', but it does not go into an extended jam following the song. Rather, they go straight into a very amped-up, aggressive version of The Other One.

I recommend checking that one out.

13. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Curious what was the busiest month and year of touring for the GoGD? October 1980. 20 shows. Whoa!
    June '76 and May '77 were very close with 19 shows.

14. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Thank you! Such great photos from that show. Newport yeah? Early August? Definitely doesn't look like it used to have a Bigsby.

In any event, I realised that there are as many photos of Jerry playing a non-Bigsby Custom in '67 as there are photos of the Bigsby Custom. He surely had two of them, the lucky devil. It's not exactly a giveaway with some of the photos being less than clear but check out the inlay at the 15th fret in the Newport photo compared with the inlay on the last Custom photo I have below - they're both quite patterned. On the basis of that feeble evidence, I'll say that the Newport guitar is the same one. He also had his '52-ish Goldtop in '68. He must really have liked single coil Les Pauls if only for a year or so. Got a great sound out of them.

Not sure if these will work but here goes.:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Six Bachelors

Guitar bonus: a photo of him playing a Les Paul TV supposedly from 24 September. It seems to have a psychedelic paint job. Pretty sure I've never seen this guitar in his hands at other times. It's not the one he played in August '71 (which is perhaps the same one Bob played in late '71):

[​IMG]

Quite possibly, which would make most of the liner notes incorrect as the essay refers to recording in the week after the Be-In and states that the album was recorded in "1/67". It's just the bonus tracks listed as being from 2 February. It makes much more sense that they come from the sessions that provided all the album tracks than from more sessions after Golden Road was recorded, if we accept the narrative that the suits wanted a single after hearing the recordings that the band considered to be the finished album.

Noting that they played at the Avalon in San Francisco on 27, 28 and 29 January, it seems unlikely that they recorded in Hollywood during the day and flew back up each night so I reckon they weren't recording on those dates. They did have a free week performance-wise between 21 and 26 January then more performance-free time from 30 January to 9 February and 13 February to 23 February. Maybe there were two sets of sessions before and after the Avalon shows. Maybe they only went down after the Avalon (hence the 2 February date). All in all, plenty of time to record the album and Golden Road.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

All three set shows, too. But only in three cities.

April 1971 is another month I remember with several shows.

17. Six Bachelors

Just a heads up - not sure if it is available to anyone outside Australia but I just found a whole stack of Dead downloads on zdigital.com.au, which I wasn't expecting, including the Grateful Dead Records set in 24/192 for AUD$35, which seems like an error considering it is on the dead.net for USD$69.99.

By the way, the new website sucks. How do they manage to change it every couple of years without ever improving it? It's always just as bad, only in a different way.

Ray29, ianuaditis and KeninDC like this.
  18. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

June 17, 1975. Played this for my wife and daughter on the way back from a Virginia winery yesterday afternoon in the sweet Fall sunshine. What a great AUD and a killer slow version of "Peggy-O."

19. US Blues

24 September 1967 {Sunday}- Denver City Park, Free Show. This followed two nights at the Denver Family Dog.

20. US Blues

Same show, different axe:

[​IMG]

21. US Blues

20 October 1974- Winterland.

Eyes Of The World > Slipknot! jam > Stella Blue

22. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

april 71 was quite busy and unlike the fall 1980 shows, with lots of travel involved. the Hofstra university show was cancelled probably due to exhaustion. here's my story on this. the poster is one of the rarest items in my collection.

In April of 1971, the Grateful Dead were on an extensive tour playing theaters and colleges in the northeast. A scheduled show at Hofstra University was cancelled. To make this up to the students, another show was scheduled for the evening of May 2, 1971 featuring the Alllman Brothers and my friend's band, Boswell. My friends attended the afternoon concert at CCNY, also with the Youngbloods, and then opened for the Allman Brothers that night. The evening show had a ticket charge of $0.50! Boswell was made up of some good friends of mine from Long Island. They later morphed into the New Mississippi Sheiks and then just the Sheiks. Great local band. I used to work for them and taped them many times. John Cipollina played with them in the summer of 77 and we opened for some great acts including Vassar Clements and Dan Hicks among others.

[​IMG]

23. Ryan Donahue

Ryan Donahue Forum Resident

Starting this Monday morning off with the same sequence.

24. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Hey Phil, yer tag's sticking out.

Crispy Rob, uzn007 and US Blues like this.
  25. US Blues

22 October 1978- Winterland. Hamza el Din opens the show with a hot version of Helalisa.

Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.