The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

I was at that show. It was a blast. I wish I could have made it to the next night.

2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

There is a good version on 5/26/93 just before the famous Playing In The Band, from one of the Road Trips sets.

3. johnlightning

johnlightning Forum Resident

Okay, I am quite prejudiced in favor of the Ladies and Gentlemen Fillmore East set, as it was recorded during my period of peak Dead viewing, and those CD's confirmed that those shows were every bit as great as I somewhat recall (the effects of the years and the chemical castration of my cerebellum at those shows have made some of my recollections a tad iffy).

It is a prime example of peak Pigpen, and the perfect melding of extended jamming, the 'shoot-em-up rock & roll band stuff, and new goodies that would soon become staples of their sets.

BUY IT and if you do not agree with my rather florid assessment, I offer you this money back guarantee... if you are not fully satisfied with Ladies & Gentlemen, contact me, send me your copy, and just try to get your money back!

BONUS TRACK: Yes the Dead generally did lackluster covers of Chuck tunes, all sloppy exuberance and clam notes, but fun nonetheless, regardless they often turned in rather rocking renditions. Johnny B. was never done better than the 'Closing Of The Fillmore West' version, and the 'Around' on 'One From The Vault' rocks in an almost stately manner... choice quality cuts friends! I've long loved Garcia's take on Chuck chords... makes me a happy guy!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  4. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I was thrilled when they released this show. The second set opening sequence of St. Stephen>Eyes>Let It Grow is stunning.

Live versions of "Crazy Fingers" can also be found on:

Dick's Picks 17 (9/25/91)
    Download Series v4 (6/18/76)
    Download Series V9 (4/2 and 4/3/89)
    Road Trips 2.4 (5/26/93)

As far as I'm concerned, no live version of "Crazy Fingers" - official or otherwise - comes anywhere close to the majesty of the one found on One From The Vault.

5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

still waiting for my grateful dead 5 cd movie soundtrack to arrive. maybe i'll throw on without a net while i wait

ianuaditis likes this.
  6. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

One of my favorite Road Trips releases, and the bonus material from 6/12/76 is great! (Mission in the Rain, The Wheel, Comes A Time, Sugar Mag>US Blues>SSDD). I was already familiar with this Crazy Fingers from the Spirit of 76 bonus disc, but the rest of the show is hot. Great Dancin' > Wharf Rat near the end with a Franklin's Tower encore (even the Around and Around is OK).

7. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

his little jump is legendary amongst my deadhead circle. must'be been doing some uppers.

BTW, those versions of Peggy O and Row Jimmy are two of my favotites.

ianuaditis and JRM like this.
  8. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I'm a big fan of this release and the crazy fingers. Actually already covered that and the mission in the rain on my site. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on it. An awesome High Time too.

dajokr likes this.
  9. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

So am I. If forced to choose a favorite from the dozens of official releases I own, the Ladies & Gents 4/71 4CD set is the one I'd pick. I mean you get: hot rock n' roll, jazzy explorations, electric American Beauty folk, and even some Motown ("Second that Emotion") - what's not to love? The best "Lovelight" of all, IMO, is on here. "Chris & Marsha have just made it!"

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
    ianuaditis, JRM and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Matthew Tate

i agree that 4 cd set is probably my favorite live dead release if i was forced to pick 1

11. notesofachord

I agree that the final volume, RT 4.5 (6/9/76) is one of the top 4 or 5 sets from the Road Trips series. The beginning of the second set is mind-blowing, of course, but the rest of the show is just is good. "Looks Like Rain", which sometimes gets on my nerves, is fantastic here. Phil does this funny & funky "running up the neck" thing throughout "Dancing in the Streets" and plays this great double-time walking bassline during "Around & Around". Get it!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  12. notesofachord

I don't know why I've put off listening to this one (maybe I did long ago and forgot, but I doubt it). I love DP28 from the end of the month, so I'm sure it'll be awesome.

13. notesofachord

Nobody rocked Chuck songs better than Chuck himself, of course. Those Johnny B. Goode's that came out of "Greatest Story..." back in '71 are pretty killer though. I mean, you can't deny that JB Goode is one of the highlights of the Skull**** LP.

BTW: I listened to disc 1 from Paris 5/3/72 earlier today. The famous E72 album version of China>Rider sure sounds nice in its remixed form here.

JRM likes this.
  14. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

Garcia solo album from 1974, UK vinyl pressing. Sounds perfect for this Good Friday.

ianuaditis likes this.
  15. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

I remember buying this to supplement my worn original US Round pressing, and was surprised when 'Turn On The Bright Lights' didn't fade out. (as later repeated on the cd)

ianuaditis likes this.
  16. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Had this cassette way back when...it's the second-ever Eyes, and the first time Eyes followed Dark Star...love this show.

17. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

A little JGB this morning. I hadn't heard TLEO Jam until getting this fairly recently (it's the bonus disc that came with the All Good Things box) - it is different and amazing. Of course the 16 minute in-studio Visions of Johanna ain't too shabby either ;)

Olompali likes this.
  18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

This cassette was in high rotation for me back in the day, certainly worthy of release if it's in the Vault.

Listened to the first disc of DaP 6 last night, for the first time since initial listen when I received it. Very nice Dark Star and St. Stephen transition into Masonic's was interesting and, as far as I know, unique.

ianuaditis likes this.
  19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I like that take of I saw her Standing there a LOT more than the one on Run For the Roses. Funkier

JRM likes this.
  20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The Crazy Fingers on this is fantastic. There's a reason it's been released twice. I agree with everything others have said, but not sure anyone mentioned sound quality. It is a beautiful Betty Board, you won't be disappointed.

21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I sold my tickets and skipped those shows in order to deal with car woes and a minor legal hassle from the notorious Taconic Parkway gauntlet between Albany and Nassau. Regrettable, that Eyes from Greensboro is, along with 3/29/90 , which I also missed, one of the best since the 70s. Nice to have it as filler on DP 17.

22. notesofachord

Speaking of DP17, that's what I've been listening to this late AM/early PM. That first set "Dire Wolf" is cookin'. "Terrapin Station">jam is just wow and "Crazy Fingers" was nice to hear as well. Who wins the best musician award for this 9/25/91 show? It's gotta be Bruce H., he's been unbelievable, but Phil's been great too.

ianuaditis likes this.
  23. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Making my way through All the Years Combine DVD box set.

xTraPlaylists likes this.
  24. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Listening to a variety of stuff for my blog, but currently on the Watkins Glen Soundcheck Jam. Wow. A real gem.

25. Matthew Tate

thats on the so many roads boxset right?

DrLunchbox likes this.