The Great Gatsby movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mirrorblade.1, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Way ruin possible great soundtrack let Jay -Z an Beyonce
    force themselves on their.

These two have no idea what roaring 20's were about..:rolleyes:

Freddie Mercury did one of best songs nobody
    really cared for. My Melancholy Blues.
    It should been on the soundtrack but noo......

And Dreamers Ball is great too.
    Martha Davis did great one to.

MAYBEIMAMAZED likes this.
  2. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

So what are the two songs like and how are they used in the movie? And how did Jay-Z an Beyonce manage to force themselves on the soundtrack? Is there any information that Baz Luhrman didn't want them in his movie?

3. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

The Great Gatsby is more than a period piece. It is widely regarded as the Great American Novel. There is no reason why a 2013 Gatsby film shouldn't incorporate contemporary music. Jay-Z is as aspirational a figure in real life as Gatsby was on the page.

Bring it, Baz!

White_Noise likes this.
  4. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Also, Baz Luhrman has often used an anachronistic approach to his topics. "Romeo + Juliet" was set in a modern age and was full of modern pop songs. "Moulin Rouge" used modern pop songs, reinterpreted as musical versions for a story set in the 19th century.

A look at the soundtrack for "The Great Gatsby" makes it clear, that he's doing something similar here.

1. 100$ Bill - Jay Z
    2. Back To Black - Beyoncé, André 3000
    3. Bang Bang - Will.I.Am
    4. A Little Party Never Killed Nobody (All We Got) - Fergie, Q-Tip, Goonrock
    5. Young And Beautiful - Lana Del Rey
    6. Love Is The Drug - Bryan Ferry, The Bryan Ferry Orchestra
    7. Over The Love - Florence + The Machine
    8. Where The Wind Blows - Coco O.
    9. Crazy In Love - Emeli Sandé, The Bryan Ferry Orchestra
    10. Together - The Xx
    11. Hearts A Mess - Gotye
    12. Love Is Blindness - Jack White
    13. Into The Past - Nero
    14. Kill And Run - Sia

It's doesn't look like Luhrman aimed for a roaring 20's kind of music for "Gatsby".

MAYBEIMAMAZED likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

First they go to Cuba, now they're FORCING themselves onto movie soundtracks - Jay and Beyonce are monsters! Total monsters! :laugh:

6. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

Didn't Martin Scorsese already make this movie with Vincent Chase as Gatsby? ;)

Chad

nbakid2000 likes this.
  7. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

Yes. And there's a previous version starring Robert Redford.

Not to get political, but The Great Gatsby is very much about class, so a remake is timely.

8. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Glad to see Lana made the cut...

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

This is the fifth filmed version of The Great Gatsby.

I would be very surprised if this film and The Lone Ranger are not the biggest bombs of the year.

Coricama, spindly and MAYBEIMAMAZED like this.
  10. vconsumer

Just curious, but why do you say that?

11. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I haven't read Gatsby in years, so I can't offer my own opinion on whether it is good movie material. But I've always been under the impression that it's considered a textbook case of one kind of unfilmable literary classic -- not a book that no one would even attempt, but rather a book that has resisted several attempts, the Redford-starring, Coppola-scripted dud being the best-known today.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I like that movie. I think the script and direction were fine, but I think Mia Farrow and Bruce Dern wrecked it. Redford was okay as Gatsby.

14. vconsumer

15. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

the director is one of the worst

16. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Knowing its a Baz Luhrman film, and seeing in the trailers its not a strict period piece, I have no issue with the soundtrack. I just find Luhrman's films painful and not for me. I get it that some like his style, but I dont and I'm not going to see this.

17. I found it static, cold and uninvolving with Mia Farrow badly miscast and Redford out of his element. I like quite a few of Jack Clayton's films and Coppola's scripts but this is one that just did t translate well to the screen.

I don't often agree with The late, great Roger Ebert but his take on the film mirrors mine.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-great-gatsby-1974

JFS3 and Vidiot like this.
  18. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Visually it looks beautiful and Carey is easy on the eyes...

19. jacksondownunda

jacksondownunda Forum Resident

As much as I'd like to see a Gatsby on the screen, I don't quite think this treatment could be a classic. Moulin Rouge was kinda cute transplanting and re-rendering recent generation's pop classics. I get it. But I think this contemporary soundtrack over 20's visuals will date it very quickly and it will be very disposable within a few years.

Visually, I've also come to think of Baz Luhrman as a newer Ken Russell; very garish. I've heard, though, that he's toned the exaggeration down a bit, and the film's lavish sets are a bit more realistic. I've also heard there's a very nice collection of vintage cars (is Jay Leno involved?). Not sure if it's enough to get me into a theatre, though.

20. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Never thought of that comparison. I love most Ken Russell movies I've seen.

Probably not, for me, but I hope he does well with it and I look forward to seeing it at home.

21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

A small but illustrious career! I wish I had directed Room at the Top, The Innocents and The Pumpkin Eater!

Edit: Just looked up his wiki, I've never seen "Our Mothers House" I must get ahold of that right now!

22. mikefromlongisla

mikefromlongisla Active Member

This "on steroids" version looks just HORRIBLE from the trailer, and is confirmed by the soundtrack.

Apparently, this is the way an updated version deals with the, so called, tedium of a book classic.

Better just read the book.

23. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I dunno. That Marie Antoinette movie worked against all my expectations, and this appears to be a similar treatment. And while I wasn't a fan, I knew a lot of students who loved the ROMEO & JULIET update, too. It can be done.

24. mikefromlongisla

mikefromlongisla Active Member

Sometimes less IS more.

For Lurhman, MORE is his style...if you like to be beaten with a 2 x 4, for a couple of hours.

For certain things, it's appropriate...but it can be self defeating.

Vidiot likes this.
  25. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.